It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 30
<< 27  28  29   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
So when does the official announcement come out? Shouldn't it have already been? Have I missed something here?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
What was NASA thinking ?? Crazy management is all I can say.

this Nova is a better

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
So what happened? What was this BIG announcement all about?
That nova or something else?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wedama

It was about the Nova. Quite a recent one at that - good news for scientists and the like I guess.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes on 5/8/2008 @ 09:10 AM
NASA found the youngest supernova ever in our galaxy.
Don't ask me how I know -- I just know. This is the answer to the "mystery."
I won't elaborate and I won't divulge my sources. You'll just have to wait and see if I'm right.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet but Kudos to behindthescenes on this one.

Originally posted by RedGolem
If this super nove is twenty five thousand light years away, and it blew up one hundred forty years ago, how is it that it was found at all?

I think that is a good point, it's all too easy to forget about relativity when we're talking about such huge distances.

The explosion occurred about 140 years ago, making it the most recent supernova in the Milky Way as measured in Earth's time frame...Source

It might seem that all we need to do is translate what they mean to our relative frame of reference. To say the event happened 140 years ago we can then translate that to actually mean that's when the light from the event finally got to Earth. Regardless this is an incorrect statement, confusing at least, and still a good point by RedGolem IMO. I believe it is important to keep in mind that the farther we look out into space the further we are looking back in time.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
hmmm...

That was one of the founding goals of NASA, something so great...

... just to see a recent supernova...

hhmmmm....

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Devino

To say the event happened 140 years ago we can then translate that to actually mean that's when the light from the event finally got to Earth

the light from the event has taken 140 earth years to traverse the space between the event and our planet

cool!

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

i think you have the wrong nasa release....check this link out....

www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by phaistonian

Originally posted by AlBeMet
That site is down. Can you post a quote?

AlBeMeT

MEDIA ADVISORY : M08-089

NASA to Announce Success of Long Galactic Hunt

WASHINGTON -- NASA has scheduled a media teleconference Wednesday, May 14, at 1 p.m. EDT, to announce the discovery of an object in our Galaxy astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years. This finding was made by combining data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory with ground-based observations.

To participate in the teleconference, reporters must contact the Chandra Press Office at 617-496-7998 or e-mail [email protected]. Live audio of the teleconference will be streamed online at:

www.nasa.gov...

A video file about the discovery will air on NASA Television on May 14. NASA TV is carried on an MPEG-2 digital signal accessed via satellite AMC-6, at 72 degrees west longitude, transponder 17C, 4040 MHz, vertical polarization. NASA TV is available in Alaska and Hawaii on AMC-7 at 137 degrees west longitude, transponder 18C, at 4060 MHz, horizontal polarization.

Maybe it's a black hole and contrary to popular belief it is electromagnetism that holds it togeather and not "gravity"

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
this is the news of a anonymous person in which what i have for your mind to think and your decisions to take action,in behalf of the NASA big news is that in july 7 of 2008 there willl be an event taking place in the polar side of saturn making an entrance of plutonium and hygrogen creating a new star to activate a planet similar to ours.this is called the lucifer project,it has happend before with the galilleo satellite entering jupiter creating a masssive black hole as big as earth,visible in 1995.eventually it didnt deployed but be aware of this next one,to thoes who dont believe i suggest to log in www.abovetopsecret.com... or www.youtube.com... to happend and counting...making affect to earth 3 weeks after the deployin but lets pray no catastrophy conclude.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Someone with some kind of power can delete this post by whoever this is anytime, because it's complete nonsense and a lie.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kupios
So when does the official announcement come out? Shouldn't it have already been? Have I missed something here?

On This page it says May 14th however on this page it says August 26th :\

I don't get it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It was probably this:
9/15/2011 Announcement

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
It was probably this:
9/15/2011 Announcement

TomServo --

I doubt that's it, seeing that this thread started over 3 years ago, which was one year earlier than the launch of the Kepler spacecraft (the spacecraft that made the discovery you linked in your post).

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29   >>

join