It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
holy goodness, this could be really big or a much ado about nothing. but my bet is that its gotta do with our galaxy especially its center. thats right they now know whats at the center of our galaxy, probably a massive black hole. either that or they finally found my my party helium balloon that I lost to the sky 50 years ago.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Nasa always seems to make a statement that sounds interesting but when it somes to light it has not much interest for we the people on the whole.

Maybe they are going to come out with Globulas Clusters located in the Milky Way Galaxy, Oldest object may be younger then thought.
Globulas Clusters- dense bunches of up to millions of stars found.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
my 2 cents is that it has something to do with getting nasa more funds. Maybe something to do with the origins of the universe.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Fibonacci11235]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
NASA found the youngest supernova ever in our galaxy.

Don't ask me how I know -- I just know. This is the answer to the "mystery."

I won't elaborate and I won't divulge my sources. You'll just have to wait and see if I'm right.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fibonacci11235

You can be guaranteed if NASA announced anything it wouldn't be anything they want covered up so its probably something mundane or they have known it for a while and decided to tell the world.

Its like them telling us they have a new shuttle when there are things in space that are going on that no one knows about and possibly even NASA, but the question is which one would they prefer to tell.

The shuttle or a possible galactic problem.......hmmm something tells me the shuttle story will do, as always.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

and

reply to post by DuneKnight

I have to agree. Given the fact that this is an announcement from the Chandra team, and they said it is an object IN our galaxy, I would have to bet that they confirmed that the compact radio source Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*) in the center of our Galaxy is actually a black hole.

It has been speculated that this radio source is a black hole, but that has not yet been confirmed. I'm suspect the Chandra X-ray observatory found some new compelling evidence confirming that Sgr A* is a black hole.

It was 50 years ago that David Finkelstein first described the chracteristics of what we know as black holes (but gravitational singularities were theorized before that), although the term "black hole" was not coined until 10 years later. However, I think the concept of a supermassive black hole in the center of our galaxy has been theorized for less than 50 years, so I suppose this announcement COULD be something else -- but I suspect nothing that important to most people.

The confirmation of a supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way would be thrilling and exciting news to astrophysistis whose careers revolve around discoveries such as this, but it is of purely esoteric importance to the rest of the world.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I agree...NASA has been hiding information for years...why would they announce something so big like life, planet x, or anything else of that magnitude...With all their research of dark matter- my guess is they've found out where it's come from; which they figure they'll be able to distribute information about to the public because it occupy's the masses fix for some knowledge of whats going on in space.

Thats just my two cents...but the bottom line is- Nasa won't be divulging anything major- this is being played as major because they are keeping everything under wraps.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think they found the golf ball Buzz Aldrin hit off the moon....

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Cool... whatever it is I'm sure it will be worth knowing and be of interest so cant wait. Some PeopLe Are way too Negative about this, thEre's no informaTion yet… lets wait for an eXplanation from NASA first.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My bet is that they will report that they have finally confirmed the existence of "dark matter." Though, I'm not sure how exciting that will be for most people.

The other announcement, might be that they have found GOOD evidence of life on another planet. We've found methane and earth-like planets. It's only a matter of time and good techniques to perhaps be able to look for signs of biology.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I did some searches and found out that during the cold war they launched some satellites to spy with. The satellites were to detect radiation, but to their surprise the radiation was coming from outer space. This may be the results of years of searching for what is causing it.

Source

I will keep searching though. I love a mystery like this.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Probably a couple or three screws that fell off of one of their first attempts at sending satellites into space 50 years ago. Wouldn't want to leave too much space junk lying around.....

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by phaistonian

Probably just conformation of a "Supermassive Black Hole"in the center of the galaxy.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Those satellites were detecting Gamma Ray Burst......we already know what they are.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
People, look at the keyword "Galaxy". So it is not planet X, is not anything in our solar system. So something out there, which won't matter. I'm speculating a smaller planet... that could possibly have life.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by phaistonian

The announcement will be to brief on the success of the shuttle replacement. here is part of nasas press release.

MEDIA ADVISORY : M08-093 NASA to Update Media About Constellation Program Progress WASHINGTON -- NASA will host a media teleconference on Thursday, May 15, at 2 p.m. EDT, to provide an overview of progress made in the last few months and work ahead for NASA's Constellation Program. Constellation will build the spacecraft to carry astronauts to the International Space Station and return humans to the moon by 2020. Following the update, NASA managers will answer media questions.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Fibonacci11235

That is a funny comment lol. They make is sound so good then bam!. lol.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

it will be so funny when your wrong because then you will look ignorant.

Btw if it was something not so important im sure they would have released the information already.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
reply to post by QBSneak000

Well NASA has been looking for life in our galaxy, so maybe, just maybe it's life of some kind. It doesn't necessarily have to be intelligent life.
Um... "cough"Yeah, right"cough". They've been looking for life.

I agree with a few of the OP's.
Either
1. A Black Hole at the Center of our Galaxy.
or
2. The missing mass in our universe, some of which has been recently discovered to be low density gas.

Yay!

NASA Sucks.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by SumnerKagan]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Exactly what i said, instead of being a Smug (wont use another word) explain it. Because i much rather be a Idiot then a hating self sintered smug.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join