It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Nice.I really hope they announce something really big, like other planets that have a breathable atmosphere and living aliens on them that look just like us. ( I really want to go on a vacation to another world and meet new civilizations.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Well exactly. Everyone thinks this is somehow gonna be like some massive announcement related to gravity, antimatter, an extra planet or something like that but doesn't NASA do this all the time when new astronomical discoveries are made? The 50 year clue tells me that it probably has something to do with black holes in general because, just as you said, Chandra is perfect for that type of research and also has been used in the past for black hole research.

Here is a link to Chandra X-Ray Observatory on Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

This is the latest Chandra status report (from May 2), although it really doesn't talk about anything other than the latest press release which has already been discussed:
chandra.harvard.edu...

This is the latest Chandra press release just for FYI:
chandra.harvard.edu...

Ironically, just as we talked about before and just as I posted before also, the black hole at the center of our galaxy is the subject of this second latest press release from the chandra site..
chandra.harvard.edu...
First of all, The recent release in the op's post said that this solved a mystery that has been around for 50 years or so.
This is a snippet from the news release:

This new study builds upon research by several groups who pioneered the light-echo technique. Last year, a team led by Michael Muno, who now works at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif., used Chandra observations of X-ray light echoes to show that Sagittarius A* generated a powerful burst of X-rays about 50 years ago -- about a dozen years before astronomers had satellites that could detect X-rays from outer space. "The outburst three centuries ago was 10 times brighter than the one we detected," says Muno.

Sag A is, of coarse, believed to be the huge black hole at the center of our Galaxy. Just thought this was interesting because of the mention of the X-ray burst from that black hole 50 years ago.

-ChriS

[edit on 9-5-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Considering that the Chandra X-Ray Observatory was a part of this, its probably going to be related to blackholes or perhaps dark matter or dark energy. If we're really lucky, it might be the discovery of a wormhole, but, well...we're not that lucky.

Like almost everyone else, I think it'll be something that's fairly mundane to the vast majority of us.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by vor78]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It could be they've seen some spooky goings on in Mars and that yes, life exists there.
GWB is getting NASA ready to roll out and meet the neighbours

Seriously, I hope it could be Planet X or some wierd thing out in space that's maybe gonna change humanity for the better

Anything else will be just a let-down.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by phaistonian

Hmm didnt Bill Shatner say thay he has contacts at NASA and something big was going to be annouced soon? Man ya gotta love Captain Kirk
I think the key word in the press release is "object" that can mean so many things.I cant wait until

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The host of Paranormal Radio is going to be in the teleconference on Wed May 14th. Should be interesting to see what this is all about.

I will post up everything I know once it is over. I will be running the board for the conference.

** EDIT **
I had to edit this because there has been a few emails asking about what I meant by the host of the radio program going to be on the teleconference.

On the 14th Jack Harris the host of Paranormal Radio is included in the media Q&A with NASA.
As for me running the board for it, we are covering the teleconference Live on the station at 1pm.

After the Teleconference I will post here about what was said.
Hope that helps.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Jimmy_of_wprt]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy_of_wprt
The host of Paranormal Radio is going to be in the teleconference on Wed May 14th. Should be interesting to see what this is all about.

I will post up everything I know once it is over. I will be running the board for the conference.

Paranormal radio!! Personally, I like the Beyond Reality radio show with Jason and grant. That show rawks!!
But mainly just because i'm a loyal Ghost Hunters fan.

-ChriS

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
And to think that i wouldn have known this was comeing up with out you!BIG HUG!thanks!stared and flaged! maybe they found god?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Well, it ain't an alien death star folks!

This ‘object’ seems to be a neutron star and discovered by scientists from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, AL; the University of Alabama in Huntsville; the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, MA; and the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands some time ago.

This has now probably been confirmed with the help of the Chandra X-Ray observatory and other ground facilities and that’s what probably is going to be announced soon by NASA.

But then again, it could also be an alien death star, after all!

Cheers!

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimbowsk

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Common sense, reason and logic tells you that this information they are going to release is important to only a very small, minor segment of the population (scientist, astronomers, nerds) and concerns something that is not very important. So any speculation concerning this release being something huge is born from ignorance of how things work and the inability to use common sense.

As far as the guy who said something to the effect of "why wait, can't they release it now if its so important?" That statment is too born of ignorance concerning the scientific and media community, and if you settle down, think for a moment, it will be clear to you why they do it in this manner.

If I need to explain further, plain and simple, your a reason the UFO community is looked upon as outcast weirdos who will believe anything and see a conspiracy in everything. You guys propagate this stereotype with reckless abandon, and ruin the only hope of actually finding out more because you play into the hand that feeds so to speak.

Sorry to be so blunt, but its reality. Continue to scream about things of which you have no clue, while making reckless guesses based on your ignorance, and the only thing you do is help to ensure that this subject remains fodder for casual humor.

I was actually asking a question because I DON'T KNOW why dates are given as to when information will be released. When you don't know the answer to something you ask a question right? I don't think it warranted a response like that!!

After all, mainstream news isn't kept from the public until a certain date is it, that's my point, if they have news then why not release it? Please do enlighten me and all the other 'ignorant' people that may ask the same question...

I am going to speculate that this announcement will be of a "phenomena" not previously known. It won't be of any material significance.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
The announcement is going to be about the discovery of a sol like system with eathlike(in size only) planets.. Its been the babel throughout the labs for about 2 weeks now. Anotherwords they found a star with several planets just like the sol system.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by muhadeeb99
~snip~

I am going to speculate that this announcement will be of a "phenomena" not previously known. It won't be of any material significance.

1. A phenomena doesn't quite = an "object in our Galaxy" as stated in the press release,
and
2. If it was not previously known, then how could they have been "hunting for more than 50 years"?

Are you basing your speculation on information contained in the press release?
Mi no comprende.

edit to add:

Whatever this discovery is, it's probably not as "sexy" as we're all hoping. But I'm sure we've all noticed the rate at which new discoveries are being made seems to have hit the knee in the curve, and to me, that is the important thing to grasp.
If our understanding of the universe continues to grow at the present rate, I can't imagine what lies ahead. We truly live in an amazing time, despite ourselves.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by tjack]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CzErased

I think you are right about the article concerning baryons - l'll bet that's what they'll announce. Perhaps they won't release they're announcement until the 14th because they still need to find out from the ESA's research the exact co-ordinates of this find before they can claim it as their own discovery.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SlingXShot

NASA may have found clues to non-human made activities going on an extraterrestrial scale beyond our solar system.
We are being watched as we watch them.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by muhadeeb99]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Maybe they finally can see Jesus on his way now.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Whatever they are to speak about will no doubt insult the minds of many a researcher on this site.

They at nasa are laughing at you every day, for continuing to believe there fairytales.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Common sense, reason and logic tells you that this information they are going to release is important to only a very small, minor segment of the population (scientist, astronomers, nerds) and concerns something that is not very important.

Perhaps I'm not paying attention, but I don't believe that there is a member posting in this thread named Common sense. It's rude to address him in such a manner if he isn't posting.

So any speculation concerning this release being something huge is born from ignorance of how things work and the inability to use common sense.

So if NASA is ever to release something huge are they going to throw a ticker tape parade? Did Metallica headline the Discovery of the First Extrasolar Planets Metalfest at Madison Square Garden? Did Diana Ross throw a Space Shuttle Bash at Studio 54 on its madien flight? And who can forget when Neil Armstrong sang with the Beatles?

As far as the guy who said something to the effect of "why wait, can't they release it now if its so important?" That statment is too born of ignorance concerning the scientific and media community...

I'm sorry, do you mean that QUESTION? Asking questions is how we deny ignorance

...and if you settle down, think for a moment, it will be clear to you why they do it in this manner.

A simple, "I don't really know," would've sufficed.

If I need to explain further, plain and simple, your a reason the UFO community is looked upon as outcast weirdos who will believe anything and see a conspiracy in everything. You guys propagate this stereotype with reckless abandon, and ruin the only hope of actually finding out more because you play into the hand that feeds so to speak.

Sorry to be so blunt, but its reality. Continue to scream about things of which you have no clue, while making reckless guesses based on your ignorance, and the only thing you do is help to ensure that this subject remains fodder for casual humor.

Your vindictive tone isn't going to help. I'd go as far as to speculate that although you "seem" to care about the light in which the public views this subject, your actual purpose here is to insight rebellion against the skeptical which will, in turn, encourage the kind of rampant stupidity that can only further bury this subject in ridicule.

Also, I know that when I'm pointing fingers I like to keep my grammar as clean as possible. There's nothing worse than trying to sound like a PhD and coming across like an 8th grader.

And finally, when I'm feeling like a cranky ass I often like to get off of the computer, get some fresh air, and have some fun.

So that's my advice to all of the crankypusses on this board. Then you can come back and scold all of us crazies a little bit more humanely.

Edit to add a reply tag at the begining

[edit on 5/10/2008 by Sunsetspawn]

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
From KSCPioneer: (To ATS 05-10-2008)
For many years I have been aware of a giant object in deep space that
I observed heading towards our Solar System area of our Galaxy, while at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida. It was traveling at one fourth the speed of light about 15 years ago.
I believe my dismissal and loss of my retirement was due to my knowledge of this massive object!
It was observed to alter course and return to its original track in space!
NO cosmically natural object we are yet aware of can be changed in its course UNLESS it is Intelligently Controlled!
Is the NASA announcement due to that object? I cannot answer that as yet.
You all know who I am.
WILL this be allowed to enter ATS? Others I have posted were not

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Do a google seach for "nasa announcement". Thet make a "big announcement" every time someone at nasa takes a dump. It means nothing. Didn't you get it when they announced life on mars because of a geological formation in a rock?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSCVeteran
From KSCPioneer: (To ATS 05-10-2008)
For many years I have been aware of a giant object in deep space that
I observed heading towards our Solar System area of our Galaxy, while at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida. It was traveling at one fourth the speed of light about 15 years ago.
I believe my dismissal and loss of my retirement was due to my knowledge of this massive object!
It was observed to alter course and return to its original track in space!
NO cosmically natural object we are yet aware of can be changed in its course UNLESS it is Intelligently Controlled

Oooooooooooookay...

Care to try and prove any of your claims?

I don't know who you are by the way - just another puny hoaxer.

Get a life man.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join