It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fractal God Musings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Visualize the color red in your head. Maybe a red dress.

That thing, that vision you have just created in your head:

◘ You can't see it. (With your eyes. Nor can anyone else.)
◘ You can't hear it.
◘ You can't taste, touch, or smell it.

◘ It exists in your brain only as a flash of neurons in a rapid and extremely complex sequence.

Notice that you fully comprehend this "thought," this burst of neuron activity in your brain (the red dress), but it is only a shadow of you. Only a trivial piece of information and nothing we could rework the whole from (ie your whole personality can't be determined by it). This is an important concept in terms of some ultimate source of consciousness that branches out like a fractal.

Your neurons, for example, have a shape very similar to that of our universe as we know it:

Here is a presentation of a Mandelbrot fractal, starting with a magnification of 1x and then zooming in time after time until a particularly stunning reiteration of the original shape is found:

A fractal like this is an infinite, self-reiterating pattern that will go down as small and intricately detailed as you would like to view it. It's an archetype that would literally allow an infinitely rich physical manifestation, should the physical universe ultimately take this form, as other individuals, including physicists, have suggested.

Who's to say the neurons in your brain aren't just another peg in this divine and frightfully monstrous fractal, and our universe is a neuron in something else's brain, that operates on a time and size scale we may never be able to reach (thus divided/embedded into "separate" universes)? Or that the resorting to probabilities in quantum physics is not due to interferences from infinitesimal life rapidly oscillating with electrons that would at least be as planets or galaxies to them, over billions of "years"?

But enough daydreaming, and back to the red dress. When you see the red dress, what is holding it, and where?

The same "substance-less substance" (ever-changing, super-complex patterns of neurons firing) has some other remarkable characteristics:

◘ It "sees" your sight
◘ It "hears" your hearing
◘ It touches, tastes, smells your senses of touch, taste, smell

This "substance" in your head comprehends all the input from your physical body, electrical signals, subtle senses of mood, hunger, and all the rest. It allows and at least somewhat defines your personality, your values and beliefs, your entire way of looking at the world.

But your experience does not consist to you as electrons, neurons, or even particular sets of neurons, in their layers of brain fat. You are unaware of that level of things completely. You know what you experience in your head every day. I definitely should not have to tell you.

But nonetheless, this experience arises from constantly-changing and extremely complex patterns. Nothing static. Your thoughts are like fire: they flash and flick here and there, but never the same place twice, and never in any pattern that you can predict immediately beforehand.

So here is the idea I'm throwing out of how this self-organization spreads out:

Each world embedded within a world of a vastly greater scale of space and time, and everything else following suit in terms of scale. The rich diversities of manifestations that are created share "sparks" of the "light" that is the transcendental creative energy flowing from the source out into infinity like a tree branching out from its roots:

Ultimately, you would be a miniature god and universe unto yourself. Just like the last Mandelbrot fractal in the image, surrounded by what you might consider celestial adornments of sorts. God would get bored just playing hide and seek alone, after all.

So what about it? Make sense to anyone? Piss anyone off? Too much reading?

[edit on 8-5-2008 by bsbray11]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I think I saw something like this in one of the Simpsons' opening.

Anyway, nice one, starred and flag........ So what's next. I can agree with the theory... but what can we do or what should we do with this 'revelation'.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Nothing I guess. In fact I changed "theory" to "musings" in the thread title just to try to side-step any kind of sense that this has to be immediately practical.

I just like warping my view of things, always looking for interactions and sharing ideas with others. Which would be an awesome direction for this thread to go in, imo.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Great post.
Starred and flagged.

*this line has been added because I like cheese*

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Ultimately, you would be a miniature god and universe unto yourself.

But we don't get to experience Godliness, why is that?
If your answer is because we're in the wrong level of awareness, is there something that we can do to shift our level in this fractal system.

This "musings" of yours can alter the concept of God altogether.

I google fractal god and here are some results.

Fractal Gods and Group Souls

Fractal Evolution

You're not a member of a fractal god sect, are you? he he, jk.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Ultimately, you would be a miniature god and universe unto yourself.

But we don't get to experience Godliness, why is that?

Lol, you tell me that one!

I google fractal god and here are some results.

Never seen that video but I have nothing against what the guy says in the first 2 minutes and 41 seconds of the video. It was interesting.

After that, I stopped watching, and that is partially the reason why I have never gone to church. (Is that supposed to be a real sermon?)

[edit on 8-5-2008 by bsbray11]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

You know what bsbray, maybe God is a human too!!!

We think that God must be powerful and can do whatever he wants, but no, according to him, he might be just another guy in his fractal level.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

This is pretty much the Hindu vision of the entire universe. Because "god" is isn't ultimately just you incarnated here, but also everything else in existence. What's the difference between the two? You get to help decide that, but unfortunately the greater mass of the entire universe has already made a good number of "choices" for you. But nonetheless you play your role here now, you help define the entire universe (on this level of detail in our fractal in particular, as "bigger" and "smaller" are just relative in our fractal, anywhere can be the reference point), and you have your experiences, and you wrap up into the rest of us.

Our illusion of separation, that "everything else" is outside from us, results from a lack of awareness, and a sense of identity, or ego. Eastern traditions encourage you to break down your ego: literally your awareness dissolves into everything around you. What really changes is your viewpoint, but it isn't as trivial as it sounds. It makes all the difference.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

This is pretty much the Hindu vision of the entire universe

I don't get it, are you saying that the Hindus believe that god is just another guy?

Our illusion of separation, that "everything else" is outside from us, results from a lack of awareness, and a sense of identity, or ego.

How does this happen in the first place? Why we have ego/separation in the first place? We could have been gods!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I don't get it, are you saying that the Hindus believe that god is just another guy?

Hindu gods are transcendental concepts that manifest physically in many different forms.

They represent this in their art when they draw their gods with many faces, many arms, etc., etc.

It's all a metaphor.

How does this happen in the first place?

Do you think the answer to this would really mean anything, if you were in a position to understand it? Like a tree wondering why its extensions are always moving chaotically, when the wind blows. Humans are in a position to see why, but now that you've reached this level of consciousness, is that really what you care about? Like if a tree really knew, then so what, to the tree? Everything is so relative, but there is always something for perception to contrast and compare against. Make use of what is here now.

Why we have ego/separation in the first place? We could have been gods!

I say when you say this, that is the feeling and reality you create, and no one is around to appreciate it but you and me. Why have you just done this? We could have been gods, yes -- tell me why we aren't?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

How does this happen in the first place? Why we have ego/separation in the first place? We could have been gods!

Or perhaps we ARE gods. Just in the extremely young stages of life.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Do you think the answer to this would really mean anything, if you were in a position to understand it?

Actually yes. It explains the origin of our existence, to understand why we come to be. To understand what we really are, and why we do what we do, and explain all the impulses that we have.

So, you don't wonder about that question. Then you simply doesn't have that impulse, or perhaps you have settled the question somehow.

As for the tree analogy I don't think it quite fits. A tree is from a seed, if it doesn't have a question about itself, well good for the tree. But if it's wondering, then it better go look for the answer.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   

So what's next. I can agree with the theory... but what can we do or what should we do with this 'revelation'.

I can agree with this theory as well... All you can do is accept it... I'm sure it applies in some form, but I'm sure it does not determine our self being... It proves the infinity of the universe... Just as you can pear into space and make larger telescopes and look further and further, you can do the same thing with a microscope... Like finding a super small bug, then zooming in to find another bug on it even smaller, and so on and so on... We've gone past the atom to find even smaller particles and I'm sure those particles are made of even smaller particles and the search for the end continues... There is no end and this is what we prove with each step we make...

top topics

join