It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Cover-Up of Rape and Murder of Women Soldiers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Army Cover-Up of Rape and Murder of Women Soldiers?

www.truthout.org

The Department of Defense statistics are alarming - one in three women who join the US military will be sexually assaulted or raped by men in the military. The warnings to women should begin above the doors of the military recruiting stations, as that is where assaults on women in the military begin - before they are even recruited.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The army is packed with rapists, illegal-immigrants, and true-terrorists. What do people expect to happen to their children during war-time? They're either going to be killed, tortured or raped like those poor women, who trusted in the military.

Never trust mass-murdering rapists: Militaries. They're not here to make the world a better place for people like those women. They just want to blow sh!t up, have sex with people, and then go back home with war-stories to share with their cronies.

www.truthout.org

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChadAndrewATS

The army is packed with rapists, illegal-immigrants, and true-terrorists. What do people expect to happen to their children during war-time? They're either going to be killed, tortured or raped like those poor women, who trusted in the military.

Never trust mass-murdering rapists: Militaries. They're not here to make the world a better place for people like those women. They just want to blow sh!t up, have sex with people, and then go back home with war-stories to share with their cronies.

www.truthout.org

Sounds kinda offensive, but I don't blame you.

I know it may offend some soldier lovers.

But one thing I can say that soldiers tend to do is: They take advantage because they are not in their own country. You know how some people take advantage and do whatever they want when they go to somebody elses house or party, the same can happen when soldiers or tourists go to other countries, they do whatever they want, becuase it's not THEIR country, and they can go back home to their peaceful home after it all.

I kinda agree with what you say, But you post is generalising way too much, nothing is that black and white, take it easy on that.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I wasn't referring to all soldiers. You misunderstood me. I'm a soldier too. except I don't rape women, who serve against or serve for* my cause.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
While I agree that what has happened to the women who have been raped/murdered is horrible, to generalize that all military men are guilty of those or similar crimes is disgusting. Yes there are sick people in the military, but no more so than on the outside world. Those who are discovered to be mental cases are quickly discharged, some just hide it better than others. Really it's a matter of statistics. With over a million people in the military country-wide, there are bound to be some who are unstable. It has nothing to do with being in the military. And if you were to actually talk to members of our military you would learn that the vast majority are just as disgusted with women getting raped and murdered as you are.

Most of them do not even want to talk about what happened while they were in Iraq or where ever they were stationed. They most certainly don't want to have "war stories" to share with their "cronies".

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I wasn't referring to all soldiers. You misunderstood me. I'm a soldier too. except I don't rape women, who serve against or serve for* my cause.

Good, generalising is always bad, even when we talk about trained killers, I'm suprised your a soldier thou? from the sound of your post, maybe you should change career lol.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Offended, a bit, yes. I served from the time when Frace joined the Soviet bloc and left after Desert Storm. I served with approxiamte 1 woman to every 4 men. All services (USA, USAF, USMC, USN, et.al.) One of those I served with for a decade was my wife. I think we'd have noticed if 1 in three military persons were so treated. We wouldn't have stood for it. I would kill to save my crew - all of them. That's bullcrap statistics.

Screw you guys - I'm going home.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by Maxmars]

[edit on 7-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Taken from the OP article....

" The photographs revealed that Lavena, a small woman, barely five feet tall and weighing less than 100 pounds, had been struck in the face with a blunt instrument, perhaps a weapon stock. Her nose was broken and her teeth knocked backwards. One elbow was distended. The back of her clothes had debris on them indicating she had been dragged from one location to another. The photographs of her disrobed body showed bruises, scratch marks and teeth imprints on the upper part of her body. The right side of her back as well as her right hand had been burned, apparently from a flammable liquid poured on her and then lighted. The photographs of her genital area revealed massive bruising and lacerations. A corrosive liquid had been poured into her genital area, probably to destroy DNA evidence of sexual assault.

Despite the bruises, scratches, teeth imprints and burns on her body, Lavena was found completely dressed in the burning tent. There was a blood trail from outside a contractor's tent to inside the tent. Apparently, she had been dressed after the attack and her attacker placed her body into the tent and set it on fire.

Investigator records reveal members of her unit said Lavena told them she was going jogging with friends on the other side of the base. One unit member walked with her to the Post Exchange where she bought a soda and then, in her Army workout clothes, went on by herself to meet friends and get exercise. The unit member said she was in good spirits with no indication of personal emotional problems.

The Army investigators initially assumed Private Johnson's death was a homicide and indicated that on their paperwork. However, shortly into the investigation, a decision apparently was made by higher officials that the investigators must stop the investigation into a homicide and to classify her death a suicide.

A suicide???

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

You misunderstood me. I'm a soldier too.

Please, do Tell your "stories".

... or are we speaking iwith different "tongues" here?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
also, im sure there are a lot of rape allegations that are in fact made up, simply to get revenge for a vast amount of things.

But yes, If soliders can kill innocent people, i see no obstacle in them raping women.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Women don't belong in the military. Equal rights are all fine and dandy and I'm all for women working outside their home if it suits them, but not in the armed services. Simple, scientifically unarguable truth, there is a difference between the sexes and there are tasks one sex is better suited for vs the other sex. One of those things is the millitary. This in no way excuses anyone of raping a woman, but it certainly doesn't help the situation, either. There are scores of fields in which political statements can and possibly should be made, but the battlefield and training grounds for said battlefield are the last place we should be making said statements.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I agree 100%.
Not being sexist, but scientifically men perform better when in those situations, men can sustain much more ,and when other lives are on the line thast what you want.

women can perform in many different aspects in the military, on the front line isnt one, unless they are a covert spy.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
While the statistics are shocking, let's face it, this is nothing new.

The Russians in WW2 were actually encouraged to rape German women by their officers as they advanced into Berlin; as a sort of retribution for German war crimes perpetuated in Russia.

The Japanese set up Military brothels in occupied territories were local women would used as sex slaves or "Comfort women" as they were officially known.

There's truckloads of reports from Vietnam of US soldiers raping and then killing Viet Cong women, the most obvious example is the My Lai massacre.

Boys will be boys. I'm not excusing this sick behavior but there are certain instincts and urges men cannot suppress, especially after years of constant warfare, and complete isolation from the opposite sex.

But I definitely disagree with women being on the front lines. Biologically they're just not as capable as men when it comes to physical and mental stress and non-stop strenuous activities. Their bodies are designed differently, there is just not enough history and solid research into women being on a battlefield and how it affects them.
Throwing them into the fray without knowing how they're going to cope is a bad idea.

[edit on 8/5/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   

I'm suprised your a soldier thou? from the sound of your post, maybe you should change career lol.

also, im sure there are a lot of rape allegations that are in fact made up, simply to get revenge for a vast amount of things.

Women don't belong in the military. Equal rights are all fine and dandy and I'm all for women working outside their home if it suits them, but not in the armed services. Simple, scientifically unarguable truth, there is a difference between the sexes and there are tasks one sex is better suited for vs the other sex. One of those things is the millitary.

I agree 100%.

So any of you in the military? Veteran? Boyscout maybe?

Because if any of you were, or had been, maybe you might know a little something about Duty, Honor, Sacrifice... the pride of wearing your Nation's Flag on your sleeve. Being willing to die to protect freedom of speech so some Jr. can say "Boys will be boys" to the brutal rape, murder and cover-up of a female soldier.

Just because Mr. Winky has a tickle does not give ANYONE the right to violate another persons body! How would you like to be on the receiving end of a rape? I was a prison guard, if there are no women, men will rape another man. So don't blame the women for this one.

This has to do with the command structure of each unit this has occurred in. If the Commander puts out that this crap will not be tolerated, and will be dealt with swiftly and harshly... than those units do not have the problems that these units are having.

Women have by far proven their worth to the military in many areas... from the operating room to the motor pool. And for you guys to to actually question a currently serving military member's opinion, or to think you know more than a Veteran who has been there... reflects more about your attitude towards women and the military than you can even imagine!

I am a Veteran, and if any yahoo ever touched one of the kids in my care... they would have had to deal with me, my Chief, Senior Chief, and Master Chief. It's all about taking care of each other, and no one messes with your people... male or female!

This article highlights the problem the ARMY is having. This is a total meltdown of their command structure, training, and pride. Yes the other services have had some problems in this area... but nothing like what is happening in the ARMY. Until they are ready to admit the problem... this will continue. This crap stains the entire Army, active and reserves. The problem is at the very top... and it needs to be remedied immediately!

So you hero's keep talking smart and walking funny... but I would suggest you avoid telling a Real Soldier or Veteran that women soldiers getting raped and murdered is an occupational hazard. Most of us take this crap VERY seriously.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
yankeerose... I don't think anyone here said they condone or support that type of behavior, where are you getting this assertion from?
That's ridiculous, you think we honestly believe rape is okay in the military for frustrated or aggravated soldiers?

Don't pull that whole "holier-than-thou" attitude here, it's completely irrelevant, you may have military experience but what I'm saying is this stuff has been going on since antiquity, it's almost a part of military culture.

The Romans raped Gaullish and Carthaginian women, the Ottoman Turks captured young Greek girls and then impregnated then and then indoctrinated their sons into the military. The Germans, the Russians, the Japanese all did the same in WW2.

This behavior is inexcusable, but sadly if history is any teacher it is inevitable...
When men are separated from their families, the opposite sex and home for years at a time and placed under immense physical and mental anguish they reach a point where they can not suppress certain urges.
Hell there have been studies conducted on this sort of thing.

Segregating the military happens for a reason, men and women are not compatible in these types of situations. I'm not saying women aren't allowed to serve in the military, but in combat capacities they have yet to prove they are able to take on the challenges of being a soldier.
Very few armies in the world allow women in combat positions.
This is not some globalist, chauvinistic agenda to suppress women's right, this is because they don't want this kind of crap happening in their armies.

Yes it's sad, it's a stain on the honor and prestige of the army, but hey, don't act so surprised. This kind of thing has been happening since antiquity.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
One in three does sound rather unbelievable. How exactly are they defining "sexual assault" would be my question. Did they survey women and ask vague questions like "has another service member ever touched you in a familiar way without asking for permission before hand?".

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
One in three does sound rather unbelievable. How exactly are they defining "sexual assault" would be my question. Did they survey women and ask vague questions like "has another service member ever touched you in a familiar way without asking for permission before hand?".

Good point. Why aren't women leaving en masse from the Army and filing complaints and class action suits?

I wasn't aware the DOD conducts "Annual Rape Occurrence" Surveys within it's branches, so where the hell are these figures coming from?

I think these figures need to be verified before we start accusing a good majority US soldiers of being rapists.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Luckily people with your attitude weren't listened to in WWII, as some of the best military intelligence operators (photo reconnaissance interpreters, mathematicians, etc.) were women.

Fair enough that women in combat roles is a bad idea (for the exact reasons you state - stamina, strength, etc.), saying they don't belong in the military is clearly sexist, because there are plenty of roles that women could perform just as good as guys.

Heck, my Grandmother drove trucks in WWII. So did Queen Elizabeth.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

France was in the Soviet Bloc? Did anyone tell the French?? Or the Russians???

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
*snip*

Women don't belong in the military. Equal rights are all fine and dandy and I'm all for women working outside their home if it suits them, but not in the armed services. Simple, scientifically unarguable truth, there is a difference between the sexes and there are tasks one sex is better suited for vs the other sex. One of those things is the millitary.

*snip*
Just because Mr. Winky has a tickle does not give ANYONE the right to violate another persons body! How would you like to be on the receiving end of a rape? I was a prison guard, if there are no women, men will rape another man. So don't blame the women for this one.
*snip*
So you hero's keep talking smart and walking funny... but I would suggest you avoid telling a Real Soldier or Veteran that women soldiers getting raped and murdered is an occupational hazard. Most of us take this crap VERY seriously.

I am SO appreciative of you for taking a quote from my post and ending said quote immediately before I posted "This in no way excuses rape..." Absolutely nothing makes me happier than seeing some horse's ass intentionally take my words not only out of context but piecemealed to try and make it seem like I was excusing rape.
you get a cookie!

And just FYI, I'm from a millitary family. My grandfather was and is cereer Navy, my uncles were Navy, my great uncle was Army, and several of my cousins are Marine Corps and Air Force. What I said stands. Women don't belong in the millitary unless it's for a closely supervised USO show where they're up on the stage entertaining the troops. If you don't like that, too bad, feel free to debate my point with me, but don't attempt to make me look like I'm condoning rape. I take that crap VERY seriously, myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join