It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Don't label terrorists "Muslim"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Feds: Don't label terrorists "Muslim"

washingtontimes.com

U.S. officials are being advised in internal government documents to avoid referring publicly to al Qaeda and other terrorist groups as Islamic or Muslim, and not to use terms like jihad or mujahedeen, which "unintentionally legitimize" terrorism.

"There' s a growing consensus [in the Bush administration] that we need to move away from that language," said a former senior administration official who was involved until recently in policy debates on the issue.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen, it's happening right before our very eyes. But, is there anything we can do about it?

washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-5-2008 by Quarantine]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Quarantine

Yes, listen to the FBI. Don't consider Al Qaeda as Muslims. Everything Al Qaeda says is opposite of what the Koran says which is God's message.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It'll be easier to label Americans as terrorists if we arent going around stereotyping the word.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Excuse me for asking a pointed question but....Aren't they "MUSLIM"? I'm unaware of the Catholic, Babtist, Methodist connections to al'Qaeda. I didn't know that being politicaly correct in this manner would go so far as this ridiculous edict from upon high!

Zindo

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ok, so let's ban terms like "Islamic extremist" "Jihad" and most of all never ever call them "Muslims". So that leaves us with one word and one word only, terrorist. Now terrorists practice their own religion? Why can't you turn on the TV a single day without hearing about a MUSLIM TERRORIST waging jihad or opening a can of FATWA on school children?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
they are generalizing the term to incorporate a larger amount of entities who could possibly be a suspect of committing an act of terror...
here we go

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
is America turning into Europe?

this is another example of political correctness gone too far.

the fact of the matter remains that these terrorists commit acts of terrorism in the name of Islam. those wacky arabs

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
That is taking Political Correctness a step too far...

While Osama and Al-Qaeda, and Islamic Fundamentalists in general distort and exaggerate Quranic verses to justify their actions, (much like Bush distorting evidence) they nonetheless adhere to the basic tenets of Islam.
They pray 5 times a day, they have recited the Shahada (Profession of Faith in Allah), some of them have actually made the pilgrimage to Mecca (Hajj), they dress conservatively, they don't eat non-Halal meat and they have read the Quran.
Thus while they are hypocrits and liars, they are still in essence Muslim.

In fact Islam has a turn for such Muslims anyway, "Munafiq"; which means a hypocritical Muslim who may appear to act as a decent Muslim but follows his own interpretation and perverted view of Islam.

Which perfectly sums up groups like Islamic Jihad, Al-Qaeda, Egyptian Brotherhood, Al-Sadr Brigade and other Islamic fundamentalists.

Consider George Bush as an example, he may profess to people to be a Christian and uphold Christian values yet acts in an un-Christian manner, he lies, cheats, and steals.

While referring to them as terrorists is an appropriate designation, Islamic Fundamentalism and Terrorism has a history of it's own and is motivated by purposes very distinct from other terrorist groups. Thus Muslim Terrorists is not a racist, or prejudiced term but a term to distinguish them from other terrorists.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
All throughout the 80's the mainstream media constantly referred to the IRA members as Catholics and bombings and such as being carried out by militant Catholic factions waging a Crusaded against Britain.

No wait! They didn't.

It didn't matter much that the IRA were all (100%) Catholics did it? The media didn't mention that it was the (evil) Catholic belief system that gave the terrorists unity and a goal. Lou Dobbs was never on TV talking about how the IRA terrorists can only exist because they receive material and ideological support from various Catholic institutions and Catholic-owned and run corporations in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

So why does the media always refer to terrorists, freedom fighters, or proxy warriors as Muslim? Why is that the only way we define them? Because "arab" is too specific. You have to be as general as possible because you never know which ME country needs bombing next.

Jon

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
This made me think of the lyrics to an Anti Flag song...notably the second step...

"Anatomy Of Your Enemy"

10 easy steps to create an enemy and start a war:
Listen closely because we will all see this weapon used in our lives.
It can be used on a society of the most ignorant to the most highly educated.
We need to see their tactics as a weapon against humanity and not as truth.

First step: create the enemy. Sometimes this will be done for you.

Second step: be sure the enemy you have chosen is nothing like you.
Find obvious differences like race, language, religion, dietary habits
fashion. Emphasize that their soldiers are not doing a job,
they are heartless murderers who enjoy killing!

Third step: Once these differences are established continue to reinforce them
with all disseminated information.

Fourth step: Have the media broadcast only the ruling party's information
this can be done through state run media.
Remember, in times of conflict all for-profit media repeats the ruling party's information.
Therefore all for-profit media becomes state-run.

Fifth step: show this enemy in actions that seem strange, militant, or different.
Always portray the enemy as non-human, evil, a killing machine.

[Chorus:]
THIS IS HOW TO CREATE AN ENEMY. THIS IS HOW TO START A WAR.
THIS IS HOW TO CREATE AN ENEMY.

Sixth step: Eliminate opposition to the ruling party.
Create an "Us versus Them" mentality. Leave no room for opinions in between.
One that does not support all actions of the ruling party should be considered a traitor.

Seventh step: Use nationalistic and/or religious symbols and rhetoric to define all actions.
This can be achieved by slogans such as "freedom loving people versus those who hate freedom."
This can also be achieved by the use of flags.

Eighth step: Align all actions with the dominant deity.
It is very effective to use terms like, "It is god's will" or "god bless our nation."

Ninth step: Design propaganda to show that your soldiers
have feelings, hopes, families, and loved ones.
Make it clear that your soldiers are doing a duty; they do not want or like to kill.

Tenth step: Create and atmosphere of fear, and instability
and then offer the ruling party as the only solutions to comfort the public's fears.
Remembering the fear of the unknown is always the strongest fear.

[Chorus (repeat)]

We are not countries. We are not nations. We are not religions.
We are not gods. We are not weapons. We are not ammunition. We are not killers.
We will NOT be tools.

Mother #ers
I will not die
I will not kill
I will not be your slave
I will not fight your battle
I will not die on your battlefield
I will not fight for your wealth
I am not a fighter
I am a human being!!!

Just thought i'd share....

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This makes me think of the Rusty Humperies "Thank Allah I'm a Jihad boy" album.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AbsoluteLegend

Thanks for those lyrics. It seems like that's the song our government was listening to when they wanted to invade Iraq.

This is all very creepy. To see all of this coming together in our lifetime.

Soon (it allready has to a degree) all our free speech rights will be thrown out the window. And all of this is going to make it much easier to label people like us as terrorists.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I was listening to Michael Savage talk about the population of muslims in this country a few nights ago. I cannot remember the exact figure but I know it was sickening.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I cannot remember the exact figure but I know it was sickening.

Sickening?

Anyway, the FBI is making a good point, that when we emphasize their religion, we play into the hands of the extremists, who want to convert more mainstream Muslims to their cause. We're letting them position themselves as somehow "truer" Muslims than the moderates, but they're not. (Except perhaps in the minds of our own anti-Muslim fanatics.)

Religion is their excuse, but they kill far more Muslims than anyone else, if you haven't noticed.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quarantine
I was listening to Michael Savage talk about the population of muslims in this country a few nights ago. I cannot remember the exact figure but I know it was sickening.

Pardon?

Sickening?

What exactly do you find "sickening"?

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Detroit, London, Paris, have districts that the police won't go to because of the very real problem of not coming back or inciting riots. Detroit has recognised Sharia law for those districts and so has the French government. Not sure about London but I'm sure they are considering it. Slowly they are whitling away at sovernty of the countries they immigrate to. Its a fact, and it is sickening to those who value they're own country!
Zindo

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This is good, muslims have to tell people every day, terrorists are not muslim, they are fakes, crazy people, who abuse the islamic religion.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
is America turning into Europe?

this is another example of political correctness gone too far.

the fact of the matter remains that these terrorists commit acts of terrorism in the name of Islam. those wacky arabs

Those wacky arabs? That sounds racist to me!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Sickening?

Anyway, the FBI is making a good point, that when we emphasize their religion, we play into the hands of the extremists, who want to convert more mainstream Muslims to their cause. We're letting them position themselves as somehow "truer" Muslims than the moderates, but they're not. (Except perhaps in the minds of our own anti-Muslim fanatics.)

Religion is their excuse, but they kill far more Muslims than anyone else, if you haven't noticed.

Yes WAAAAAAAAAAAY more muslims.

People are all so scared in their safe little peaceful homes, watching on tv, scared of the muslims coming to kill them, when in reality, it's the muslims who have to live everyday in fear of something that is very real to them, real as in friends family dying every week, by people who abuse their religion!

And people have the nerve to call these very same people who try to live their peaceful lives surviving, protecting their family, these innocent victims, get called terrorists?

Terrorists are the biggest enemy to MUSLIMS! not non-muslims.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join