It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prone Pilot Fighter Aircraft: Should they make a comback?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
After seeing the PronePilot Gloster Meteor and the XP-79 Flying Ram, I was thinking this configuration should make a comeback for any upcoming ATF projects as it would reduce air friction and would also be cheaper/easier to produce/maintain. It may also make emergency escaping easier.

farm1.static.flickr.com...

www.fiddlersgreen.net...

www.century-of-flight.net...

www.century-of-flight.net...

www.luft46.com...

www.vicflintham.co.uk...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have always supported the idea. I would reduce the effects of G forces on the pilot, but would make checking your six more difficult. I think that the F-16 is the best compromise, the seat is reclined significantly to address the problem if Gs.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
A lot of pilots seem to say that reduces your ability to turn your head somewhat though.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cutaway

I'd go one step better and cheer for UCAV's, but that's just me. The prone pilot tests had mixed results as I remember, but it was interesting.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
As a erm, pilot (maybe not fighter jets, but you get the idea), I dispise the idea of lying down. ARGH.

The F16s reclined seat does little to protect the pilot from G's, I've heard it's more due to fact a unreclined seat wouldn't fit in the cockpit

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackWidow23
I have always supported the idea. I would reduce the effects of G forces on the pilot, but would make checking your six more difficult. I think that the F-16 is the best compromise, the seat is reclined significantly to address the problem if Gs.

Pilots HATE the F-16 seat.

It wrecks their necks when they have to crank to check their '6'.

new topics

top topics

join