It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idaho student says teacher tossed his Mexican flag in trash

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I've had plenty of things taken in thrown in the trash by teachers when I was in school. I never thought to take it personally though...

Oh wait, this involves a hispanic kid, so obviously it must be racially motivated.

$20 says that if a white kid brought something to class, that was causing a disturbance of any kind, it would find its way into the trash can too.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
"Deny Ignorance" remember?

Why is no one ever gets upset when the traitorous American-Irish fly their lame tri-color flag and paint themselves in the flag's colors on St. Drunkards day?

Why is it the American-Italian community gets away with their whole scam-the-public for money St. Someone festival where many of the silly-looking Italian tri-colors are waved around by people who can't even speak Italian?

Oh yeah, I forgot! It is because those people aren't of an ethnicity that we, as lazy, dumb, and apathetic media victims, have been conditioned to regard as the enemy or the problem.

Heck, dozens of bagel stores around me have Israeli flags in the windows proclaiming their proud support of ethnic cleansing. No one bats an eye about any of those people. Do they?

In American you can be proud of your descent only so long as you come from one of the conquering groups of people. Native American, Africans, and Hispanics are all asked to just keep quiet and work hard.

Oh! And don't forget to pay your tithe to the conquerers for the right to work on the land they stole from you.

Jon

[edit on 5.9.2008 by Voxel]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I agree with you 100%. I just don't see that as being the immediate issue in this case.

This is about a teacher doing exactly what teachers have always done. try to prevent disruption in the class. If anybody should be accused of racism, it should be the classmates that were "disrupted" by that flag, not the teacher who threw it away.

As I understood it, the issue in the OP was a possibly racist teacher based on the actions taken, which is what I addressed. Deeper social issues are not the issue here.

*By the way, it just so happens that I get very upset when I see an Israeli flag flying in this country. But as a white southern man I am not allowed to express this for the same complicated social stigmas you mentioned.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by N1cotine]

[edit on 9-5-2008 by N1cotine]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by N1cotine
This is about a teacher doing exactly what teachers have always done. try to prevent disruption in the class. If anybody should be accused of racism, it should be the classmates that were "disrupted" by that flag, not the teacher who threw it away.

I would go out on a limb here and say that any good teacher should have seen this as an opportunity to teach the kids about those things that don't matter any more in America. The teacher automatically took the side of the disruptive kids and took further punitive action against the target instead of taking a few minutes to educate the kids on things like tolerance, our collective history, and the importance of pride.

This is no different from a teacher kicking a kid out of class because he was being picked on and it should be criminal. It should be criminal for a person in a position of authority over kids to ever side with majority in cases of abuse. You either let them work it out themselves or you side with the minority.

In my high-school days, a girl who was pregnant was getting bullied by other girls to the point where it was disruptive in class. What did the brilliant teacher we had do? Sent her to study hall.

Great idea there chief! Take someone who is already being alienated by her peers and separate them from society completely. Make sure they know just how much of a waste of life they are. She tried to kill herself and miscarried. After that we never saw her in school anymore and the teacher was never even reprimanded because in the school board's corrupt eyes, teaching kids tolerance is far less important than making sure that the daily lesson plan is completed.

That is my core issue. The teacher's actions validated the taunting and jeering of this student's classmates. Now his classmates can continue to deny other students their right to feel proud of their ancestors secure in the knowledge that their actions are justified when they harass people of certain ethnicities.

Jon

Originally posted by N1cotine
*By the way, it just so happens that I get very upset when I see an Israeli flag flying in this country. But as a white southern man I am not allowed to express this for the same complicated social stigmas you mentioned.

I was actually going to post a line about the confederate flag in my first post. Then I thought "Wait, people DO actually complain about that."

[edit on 5.9.2008 by Voxel]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
The teacher shouldn't have taken the flag and put it in the garbage. But the student doesn't really have the case for a legit lawsuit.

Yes, but if they do take him to court the teachers story won't fly and they will win the lawsuit, you can sue for anything... Once this case is won, it paves the way for millions of other potential flag cases...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I think if this were an American flag tossed in the trash it probably would not have made the news because we are usually so PC about everything and always put our American policies and traditions second to everyone else's. Now with that said, I think just taking it away and giving it back at the end of the day would have been more prudent, I mean it was the kids property, regardless of what it was.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

I have seen enough cinco de mayo celebrations first hand to know what the difference is. Celebrating your heritage is one thing, and Mexicans I see and know are not doing that. They are proud Mexicans who want to work, and move back to mexico. That is the root of the problem for most. A long term migrant worker who wants the rights and benefits of a country he is not loyal to. I do not see this in our middle eastern immigrants, who are so happy to be able to say that they are American. Maybe because they do not want to leave here, and want to build this place up. I do not feel it is racist to draw comparisons between those that wave a chinese flag and those who wave a mexican one. Especially for what it represents to those who wave it.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

"He said, 'The problem is that we are in the United States and not in Mexico.'
reply to post by Master_Wii

Oh wait, let me realy say what he said... "El Problemo esta nosotros vivo en Las Ustados Unitos y no Mexico.' (My Spanish is rusty...)

Now heres what i would have said to this guy...

Yea man, this is America, and while your here you should speak English, got that. Comprende? If you are living here, 'your' flag should be Old Glory, not the Flag of Mexico. If Mexico is your Amor, then go back to her.

Cause this is America, and if you don't like the Home Team, get the (blank) out of the Stadium.

[edit on 5/9/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

And here in America, people fly the Irish flag for St. Patrick's Day. We also wave the Tibetan flag around at pro-Tibet rallies. Lots of foreign nationals and immigrants have little stickers of their nation of origin's flag on their cars - Mostly Aussies that I've seen.

If this weren't a Mexican flag, there wouldn't be a news story - or perhaps it would be properly titled, "teacher steals property from student, throws in trash"

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voxel
"Deny Ignorance" remember?

Why is no one ever gets upset when the traitorous American-Irish fly their lame tri-color flag and paint themselves in the flag's colors on St. Drunkards day?

Oh yeah, I forgot! It is because those people aren't of an ethnicity that we, as lazy, dumb, and apathetic media victims, have been conditioned to regard as the enemy or the problem.

In American you can be proud of your descent only so long as you come from one of the conquering groups of people. Native American, Africans, and Hispanics are all asked to just keep quiet and work hard.

You don't see millions of Irish running around, chanting in Galic, waving Irish flags. Wearing Green one day a year is a little diffrent.

Irish immigrants are like any other to this coutry, reguardless of Skin Color, people have gone thru racism in America, but those that wish to become true American, do become Americans. But you have to want it, it cant call the flag of the country you left your home... that treason.

I don't want to hear spanish in the US, Spain did not Conquer the US, we were not built on 'Spainish' Traditions, if you want to live in a Spanish country, rather then an English one, go move to Mexico, or Venezula, or any 2nd/3rd world Spanish speaking country in South/Central America.

All People are welcome to America, you just have to want to be an American.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
You don't see millions of Irish running around, chanting in Galic, waving Irish flags. Wearing Green one day a year is a little diffrent.

So this was in fact millions of this one guy running around chanting blah blah blah?

No, there was a kid with a flag for Cinco de Mayo. Singular. No marching, no chanting. Maybe if you didn't summarily ram your own head so deeply into your own ass every time you see the word "Mexican" this fact would have dawned on you?

Irish immigrants are like any other to this coutry, reguardless of Skin Color, people have gone thru racism in America, but those that wish to become true American, do become Americans. But you have to want it, it cant call the flag of the country you left your home... that treason.

Where the hell did you learn to speak English, in a Cambodian prison?

I don't want to hear spanish in the US, Spain did not Conquer the US, we were not built on 'Spainish' Traditions, if you want to live in a Spanish country, rather then an English one, go move to Mexico, or Venezula, or any 2nd/3rd world Spanish speaking country in South/Central America.

Curious then how Spanish is the official second language of Texas, and has been since there WAS a Texas, as well as new Mexico, Arizona, and California. Let's not forget Puerto Rico.

Of course, I suppose since you don't want to hear Spanish in the US, the following changes are in order!

Colorado will now be known as "Reddish"
Florida will be known as "Flowers"
Montana will, of course, be "Mountains"
Nevada will be renamed "Snowy"
California can be "Fantasy Island" we'll even get a dwarf to go "da plane boss da plane!"
Puerto Rico will, obviously be "Rich Port"

All People are welcome to America, you just have to want to be an American.

Now if only you had the first damn clue what being American means, you could enlighten all those people!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
disgusting racism , America is full of ....

poor kid .....

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Actually, california has been an American state longer than a Mexican one. Same with Texas.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I guess I'm the only one wondering what the big deal is with this kid having a Mexican flag to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Let him be proud of his heritage. I somehow doubt that those first swarms of immigrants that came to this great melting pot immediately renounced their admiration for their former homes. When did people become so hyper-sensitive about EVERYTHING? All I hear anymore is how this group people hates that group and another another group hates both of the first two groups, etc. In this country, it always seems that the people are hated because their the wrong color, religion, sex, orientation, the list goes on and on and more and more stupid things are added daily. Take a step back and realize that you're all bullies, picking on anything and everything that you don't understand -- everything that's different from what you know, you seem to hate.

With that said. While it doesn't bother me, the kid probably shouldn't have the flag with him at school. I'm sure that someone at the school could have explained to this kid why it wasn't such a good idea for him to parade his Mexican Flag around without resorting to throwing it in the trash. That's just ridiculous. I'm sure you're all glad to see that this kid has learned at least one thing from American culture. Sue, sue and sue some more..

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
One thing that gets me is why can Irish-blooded caucasians fly the Irish flag or represent Ireland on St. Patrick's Day but a Mexican can't fly the Mexican flag? Double standard. On that note, Mexicans are not "invading" the United States. They fly the flag because they are proud of their heritage, not every Mexican really wants to be here but it's the country full of opportunities...at least I hope.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
SO, if this kid was named Jimmy Lee and had a Confederate flag on whatever day a southerner would celibrate would the issue change? What if it was some kid named Heinrich and he had a german flag? Or like Ahmed with one of those Arab world flage? How about if it was a Jean-Pierre with a french flag? Or John with a Canadian flag?

No law prohits owning or flying ANY flag (that I am aware of at this time) as long as it is done in accordance with the :

www.vfw.org...

Flag Code.

I don't read mexican Spanish so I can't find the mexico flag code (if such exists) but I am sure that the use of other than proper and respectful dispaly is seen a contempt or bad practice.

Oh, is there a law that says students can't have a flag at school in Idaho? I know that (from the local media/driving sround/what I have read from various sites including a Wikipedia entry) the May 5th celebration is largely a "Mexican-American" display of "national pride" on US soil and "real Mexicans" don't pay any attention to the day south of the US-Mexico border...

Whatever - the gym teacher should have contacted a principal/assitant principal and had them intervene so that he didn't look a fool (in my opinion). In a school with that high of a hispanic population, even that far north, one might expect to find a "gang" society (based on my observations and what is on the internet) and that teacher PROBABLY is going to get sued and have hate crimes commited toward him and his school now.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The devil is in the details, but if the student was only guilty of possessing the flag, then the gym teacher used poor judgement by putting the flag in the trash, but this situation should be handled on the local level between the school staff and the parents.

The ACLU should stay out of it.

I think that if any of us were the teacher in charge of the class and maintaining order, we might have acted similarly. The story is always different for the one who is charged with responsibility than it is for the one whose sole responsibility is to follow orders from the adult staff.

It's a tempest in a teapot now, but I'm sure the ACLU and the incentive of financial gain will turn this into a division of a community along racial lines and plenty of national press coverage.

[edit on 2008/5/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

Yeah, in one of the most republican red counties in a red state in all of america...you know what? good for him...many Spartans are huge supporters of diversity and cinco de mayo...go kid go! That teacher needs to be handed a pink slip and yesterday. So what you mean to tell me you have to be white and Morman to stay out trouble and all others are less than? Ha! This is America Yo! Good for you and Happy Cinco De Mayo Everyone...Go Spartans!!!

For those of you there...Do you guys in Rupert Idaho want to be known as the back ass words dumb arses who refuse to embrase diversity and cultural differences? Or do you forever want to be labeled down in history as the gay hating, anti-simetic, latino oppressive and discrimitory center of the world? Huh? Come on Minidoka County this is the new century and it is 2008, get your freakin' act together and quit putting down others! And all you mormans...start standing up for justice and diversity, and put a stop to this disgusting backwardness!!!!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Wow....the more I read, the more I believe that the skinhead racist a$$whipe movement is alive and well.....sad.

Let's not forget that America is the great country that it is, in big part, thanks to ALL the different people from all over the world that has come here and made this place home...

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Your right, this year there wasn't 'millions' of people marching, chatting in spanish, and waveing mexican Flags... there were mabye 100's... dozens in places...

The last 3 years, on the 5th of May, the Mexicans have had rallies for 'Imigration Reform'.

The first year, across the country, Millions of people marched, and showed support, including almost a Million In LA.

The Second year was FAR less, mabye tens of thousands of people nation wide...

This year, thousands, at the most...

Why... are people waking up and realising that this whole Illigal immigration thing is more then a simple issue. Mabye more people are seeing stories like This . This is also from Idaho... mabye its the father of the flag waveing boy, who knows...

The 'mexican' ownership of California, and the rest of the territory Won by the US after the US-Mexican War, was for only a few years, and had a "reported" number of Mexican Falies in the dozens in the entire territory, only a few hundred Mexicans had to leave the territory that became US soil. Not to Mention that the territory before the shorst ocupation of Mexico, was under ocupation from Spain.

After the War with Mexico the territory has be the United States territiry for over 150 years. Here is a simlpe wersion if you dont belive me

Spain has about a 10x more of a right to say that this was thier land before... they held it for almost 300 years...

The thing we need to see here is this... between the people of the United States, and the people of Mexico, we are both countires that were settled by western european countires, both countries fought for independence from these countries.

The US is english
Mexico is spanish

What makes a country is boarders, launguage and culture.

These two countries have fought wars over Boarders.
Have two diffrent Western European Languages.
And share a Diffrent Culture.

Don't Bring a foriegn language, and culture into this country. Or else we might have a boarder dispute.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join