It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man-made clouds to change the outlook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Man-made clouds to change the outlook

www.sundayherald.com

A company called Flogos has launched the first custom-made clouds and will soon be bringing its product to Britain.

Produced by a dedicated machine at the rate of two a minute, the flogos can be made to any shape required and float for up to half an hour, soaring up to 30,000ft for a distance of 40 miles.

advertisementMade from air, a tiny amount of organic surfactant taken from a tree, and helium, flogos are also environmentally friendly, say the firm.

Huge brands such as Apple, Disney and Mercedes have already floated their logos in the sky and inventor Francisco Guerra hopes many more will follow suit.

He said: "I'm in the office from 7am because inquiries are coming from every square inch of the planet. We are making them as fast as we can but it's not enough.

"Every major advertising company in the world has come to discuss their roster. Some Fortune 500 companies have been too and in Korea, artists have told us they want to use flogos to make a kind of sculpture. The response has been incredible."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.flogos.net

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
i got sent this link today and thought you guys may be interested , the inventor started in hollywood special effects then invented a snow machine and other cool gadgets.

now he has this crazy cloud machine.

does anyone else think it could be used for something other than adverts ??

snoopyuk

www.sundayherald.com

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk

i got sent this link today and thought you guys may be interested , the inventor started in hollywood special effects then invented a snow machine and other cool gadgets.

now he has this crazy cloud machine.

does anyone else think it could be used for something other than adverts ??

snoopyuk

www.sundayherald.com

Actually the idea of using man made clouds to reflect more sunlight into space has already been proposed as a way to try and slow down the effects of global warming...

The process involves sulphur dioxide if I remember correctly.

Mitch

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I wonder how the dense the cloud is?

Could it be a proper surface for say a hologram to register onto it? It does say it can be "any" shape.

Planes, trains, and automobiles...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk

Produced by a dedicated machine at the rate of two a minute, the flogos can be made to any shape required and float for up to half an hour, soaring up to 30,000ft for a distance of 40 miles.

this idea isn't to combat global warming by reflecting sunlight back into space........

the Idea is to have a localized Logo/Message/ Brand Name
up in the sky for the earthbound to amazed at. And hence Influenced !

i'm gonna go back and read the report...
but at 30,000 feet the letters/message/logo has got to be HUGE
for us ground dwellers to be attracted to & recognize the SkyHigh Advert !

and........ just how can the promotion company presume to guarantee that
the Jet-Stream won't grab up the floating billboard and destroy it before the assured "40 Miles" of exposure ?????

?wanna buy the Brooklyn Bridge? is in the same league, imho

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Now you can't say it was just your brain and vivid imagination that made you see shapes in the clouds - because we know we have the technology to create them.

Now, I'm waiting for the pentagon to admit they use weather as a weapon of war.

I had to comment as this thread fits right into my signature.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

i didnt say it was anything to do with global warming mitigation.

and yes they say it will hold together in its shape.

snoopyuk

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The largest shapes available according to their website is about 3 or 4 feet. They are working on something larger for Disney, we'll see.

The surfactants used to maintain the helium bubbles is a specially formulated soap (I doubt it's very special) but the process of creation and deployment of the shapes is patent pending.

This doesn't seem for the moment to have any purpose other than marketing. I suppose you could make a UFO shape or something and scare the bejeezus out of some people, but that's pretty much it.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before someone has the audacity to bring the company up in a law suit for blotting out the sun while they are on the beach?
or a farmer saying the machine is so close to their farm the crops wont grow, we are walking right into a forced advertising world where you cant look anywhere without you seeing one company logo or another, i was in a doctors surgery last week picked up a magazine to read, and almost every page was a full sized add, what ever happened to the articles? we are being dumbed down by big corps, and we have no say in the matter.

I for one dont wish to see adverts everywhere, and i deff can see car accidents increasing when this becomes a mass produced product, esp when a giant naked woman shaped cloud drifts by.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
So, um, what happens when an airplane flies into one of these? Or sucks one through the engine? How will it affect birds and other wildlife? And if it flies at up to 30,000ft. and is only 3-4 ft. across how can anyone read it?

top topics

join