It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Arrested For 'Turning Without a Signal'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kelbtalfenek
Until we see the dash-cam video, there's no way that we'll know what really happened.

I also think we should explore the whole situation via the dash cam. I wonder why it hasn't been released yet?

I know sometimes I do have a knee jerk reaction, but I do have some experience with the LEO. My brother and cousin are both LEOs. I would never say they are bad people. So, I know there are good cops out there.

That being said, I know the type of person the police force attracts. Some are bad and would be considered criminals if they weren't on the force.

It's just like the Church. Homosexuality is a sin. Except when it's your own priests raping little boys.

Edit: LEO officers....

ATM machine

[edit on 5/8/2008 by Griff]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
He obviously flunked the attitude test. I'm not going to second-guess the officer. We've only gotten one side of the story so far.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Now I do agree we should be able to challenge the "higher ups", I for am glad to see some action taken agaisnt this person. It may have been a little extereme to take him to jail for not using his turn signal, but I am sure there is more to it then that( at least I hope). I am sick and tired of all these a$$ holes on the road thinking they can do what they want. Cutting people off, speeding at 60+ in a 30, not using turn signals(there their for a reason ppl use them!). Its ppl like this guy that make me want total anarachy so I can whip out a shot gun and blow there head off. Road rage, you bet. I had a guy pass me the other day after i made a turn. I was still getting up to speed when he passed me. Then he flips me off and break checks me for about 2 miles after slowing down to 20 under the speed limit. I can go on with stories like these. I see dumb a$$ college kids acting like morons on the road all the time. I all ways say if I was a cop there would be alot more tickets. Wanna know what gets my blood boiling faster then Bush, STUPID PPL ON THE ROAD. When I was 16 I was almost killed by a lady in a SUV that decieded at the last min she didnt want to turn. Wanna know how I know I was in the right? The cop gave her a ticket and the judge voted in favor of my low budget mam and pap insurance company. So I hope this guy learned his lesson sitting with the crack heads and rapist at least he didnt kill someone....this time.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

What do you expect, it's Texas for God's sake, nothing good comes from that state, hopefully the sinkhow they have will swallow the whole state and be done with it.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
about time...

Although where I live, it wouldn't of mattered if you had them on or not.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by damntheptb
lesson here is simple.... DO NOT MAKE COPS ANGRY

Oh yes almighty police officer!! ANYTHING YOU SAY ALMIGHTY POLICE OFFICER!

Yes Mr. Police Officer! Thank you for giving me a ticket Mr. Police Officer!

Of course. Lets all bow down to authority. We wouldn't want to inconvenience the hero in his quest to meet his quota that WE'RE PAYING FOR!

I'll say what ever I damn well want because the first amendment grants me that liberty and if he initiates the physical contact, its self defense at that point.

Yeah, I'll probably go to jail for assaulting an officer, but doesn't that just show how great our legal system is? You get in trouble for the same things cops get away with.

What a disgrace.

[edit on 5/8/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well, my opinion is this:

We are supposed to have a freedom of speech. The cops should have enough backbone to just lets the words fly.

It just isn't fair that we have to take their attitudes, which I have seen too many times, and have to be so nice and respectful and submissive.

Yes, maybe a good cop or two out there, but they are all getting a bad name now.

It is too common for someone with a low self esteem to join the police force to feel larger than before - it just goes to too many egos after a while.

Chill out cops and remember if the tables were turned!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
Oh yes almighty police officer!! ANYTHING YOU SAY ALMIGHTY POLICE OFFICER!

Yes Mr. Police Officer! Thank you for giving me a ticket Mr. Police Officer!

Of course. Lets all bow down to authority.

I'll say what ever I damn well want because the first amendment grants me that liberty and if he initiates the physical contact, its self defense at that point.

Yeah, I'll probably go to jail for assaulting an officer

What a disgrace.

[edit on 5/8/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

Though I'm generally on your side, the attitudes displayed in your post are a good example of all the things that go wrong when a normal person gets behind the wheel, causing them to turn into a psycho.

C'mon, man, be logical!

Everyone flouts the law on the road, everyone speeds, everyone cowboys now and then, flipping people off, playing games, tailgating, and generally being anti-social - at least some of the time. Sure we're provoked - it's a zoo out there.

Once in a while, and it's very infrequent, we get caught.

So, play nice and take your medicine. If you're polite, the cop will usually be polite and you can just both forget about it and go on your merry way.

Now, my saying this might be provocative, or make you angry, but think about it for a second. You KNOW it's true. If you act like a jerk, then the cop will pass this 'tude along and be a jerk to the next guy he stops.

So, NOW, consider you've been stopped, and the cop just wanted to warn you to wear your seatbelt.

BUT the guy he just stopped was a complete jerk and moron, exhibiting attitudes similar to those you just mentioned.

Who is really to blame if the cop isn't quite as nice? It's the guy he just stopped.

WHY be that guy?
Why risk making it much, much worse for yourself. It's not worth it.

OK, this was just an example. I'm in favor of questioning authority but if you're really innocent, the guy to try to question and convince is the judge, not the cop.

Likewise the cops need more training, their supervisors need to pull guys who can't be professional, and so on.

Hope my intent is appreciated - I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Badge01]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

We're not talking about who was a jerk to who and when. Its not a police officer's duty to deal with jerks. Its a police officer's duty to serve and protect the public by pulling over or arresting anyone who breaks the law.

Having said that, do you find it is necessary to arrest someone for not using their turn signal? How many people do you see on a daily basis that don't use their turn signal? Do you think all those people should be arrested? As a taxpayer, is that where you want your money going?

I can see how being a jerk could piss the cop off, but is being a jerk against the law? Is questioning the ticket against the law? Is calling a cop this or that and swearing against the law?

Now, is not using your turn signal an arrestable offense?

You should have answered no to those four questions, so "NO" should be the answer to whether or not this guy should have been arrested.

If this guy physically assaulted the cop, or had something in his possession that was an arrestable offense, or he had warrants, then he could and should be arrested. But he didn't assault the cop physically, he didn't have anything in his possession that was an arrestable offense and he didn't have warrants.

But its alright that he was arrested?

I'm not paying these guys salaries to arrest the most minor traffic offenders and try to intimidate me in to being polite and obedient to them while they be asses to me and fine or arrest me. I'm paying their salaries to serve and protect my community and the people that live in it from real threats, and give the same respect, cooperation and decency back to the minor offenders that the rest of us are expected to give to the police.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
After reading the leading artical, I'm soo soooo glad I don't live in your facist state....and I'm soo sooo worried when my fellow country men want to become increasingly Americanised

I blame it on american TV, possibly the best and most effective weapon they ever developed.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
hey, when a cop stops you, you stay quiet, and say yes sir and no sir. anything more... and you should go to prison for along time. what's wrong with you people, when a cop stops you for any reason, you have no rights..why?...because he has the gun and the authority to use it. real simple. and like the the police chief said, they can arrest you for any, any minor violation. how many you tube videos must you watch to realize that the cops have the ultimate power. they will shoot you if they even think you could be a threat to them. so shut your big mouths and kiss his -ss and god bless america

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Do you want my -opinion- on the legality, or do you want to know the law? I'm sympathetic. Who knows how they'll interpret the law.

YES, you can be arrested for not signaling. Do not know how rare. (seems like a 'speed-trap' offense kind of thing, eh?).

YES, I think more drivers should be stopped at minimum and reminded to use their turn signals. As a road bike rider, it's CRUCIAL for my health (no joke, I've nearly had to lay the bike down several times, ditto when I rode my motorcycle).

Personally, I think arresting is going too far. Ticketing might be going too far, but I'd like to see people warned. Fair enough?

Again, since this is a legal issue, if you're going to protest or contest, KNOW the law.

I'd presume your goal is to not be stopped, detained OR arrested. Once you're stopped, in reality, if they really want to arrest you, the cops will find a way. Remember, they get 'street smart' training on how to provoke people subtly. You just know your own commonsense, so you're going to be taken off guard.

They will be prepared. It's not an even fight, man, which is why I say, 'don't do it'.

On the original topic, I think it's -possible- that viewing the video cam will be helpful. Might be good to wait for that.

On the 'I don't pay them to...' Understood. We can't affect that directly. Gotta join city counsel and lobby, or vote your congressman or governer who is hard on police accountability.

Edit:IMO, this stuff is enabled by attitudes of higher-ups. If they were not green-lighting their officers to get a little rough, they would not be acting that way.

HTH.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Badge01]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

whenever a cop makes a stop...he always, always considers whether this person might shoot him. and this is the way you have to understand his behavior

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Under almost any circumstances. a cop can come up with an excuse for taking you in to custody and making at least the rest of your day miserable.

I was always tought that you can never win an argument with a cop on the side of the road. Keep your mouth under control (no matter how obnoxious the cop is), don't give permission for anything (but don't resist). and think how much better your position will be in a court room or press conference with you freshly groomed in a dress suit, a lawyer beside you, and a scripted statement.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Once you're stopped, in reality, if they really want to arrest you, the cops will find a way. Remember, they get 'street smart' training on how to provoke people subtly.

I realize that. Thats the reality of the situation. I know what the reality is, but its the reality that I have a problem with, and I think it needs to change.

But one person can't do it alone. So me deciding to stand up and protest isn't going to change a thing. And I'm quite sure there aren't going to be people lining up behind me to protest turn signal laws and other minor offenses.

My simple point is its wrong and it wasn't justified no matter what this guy said to the cop. The police officer is supposed to represent the most upstanding of our society and our communities, so the police officer should be able to shrug off hateful words and move on like I have seen some officers do.

But arresting someone for running their mouth and not using a turn signal when you could be dealing with that guy speeding through the school zone or that guy running a red light with pedestrians crossing isn't how I'd like my money to be used.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

assualt on a po is illegal, being an a hole just for getting a ticket can be considered disorderly conduct. how bout trying to obey the laws and admitting when you're wrong when you've failed to do so. this would result in less people being tazed or arrested. ha ha, trust me, i know.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

But he does admit to challenging the officer's questions during the stop.

Hmmm. Yeah right. He "challenged him". Id love to hear the cop's side. This article is just too one sided.

I bet he did far more then challenge him. I would bet, based on the things I read here, that he verbally assualted the cop, acted like an arse and put up a major fight over getting the ticket.

I think its impossible to make a sound judgment on this, when you are hearing a biased report of the situation.

If your assumptions are correct, then why didn't the officer charge him with more than just failure to signal? Being belligerent to a police officer can be considered as a form of assault. The fact that Mark Robinson spent just three hours in jail and that the police chief, is "will review department policy and may make changes." seems to indicate that the officer had gone too far. Yes, technically he was in his right to arrest the man, but it appears he was also wrong in his actions. After all do we want the Police "To Serve and Protect" society or "Monitor and Control" society?

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There is no way to have an informed opinion on this story because we only the one point of view. The man calls it "challenging" the officer, but what exactly does he mean by that? Ripping up the ticket? (Illegal) Threatening the officer? (Illegal)

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
What is needed is a group to investigate where cop's live and publish the info online. Let the filthy pigs know that if they anger the public by doing stupid things then we will know where to find them when they don't have a dozen other thugs behind them. I would expose every cop's home address and personal info if I could, and let the cop's get a new attitude. Maybe is THEY sweated a while worrying about a drive by they would not abuse the people.

An armed society is a polite society, and if cop's were taken down a notch every time they stepped out of line they would change. If a cop is protecting and serving then why should they worry? if they are arresting people to harrass them for using the first amendment rights, then they are fair game and should be in fear for their miserable lives.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Clear Thinker

You have no idea what you are talking about: It is NOT assault to speak. get real. We have the RIGHT to speak and say what we want to a cop, and they cannot charge you with anything because they didn't like the content of your speech. There are NO laws against ' disrespecting ' a cop, and we can legally curse them and revile them all we want. If the cop is a typical thug and buly and scumbag, as usual, then of course they will make life hard for you, illegally. Why do so many people think that cop's have some special rights?

If a cop doesn't like what you are sayiong , let him shut his ears and turn it off and ignore it..thats what they are paid to do. If they get their little feelings hurt then they are sissies and idiots...and most are. Quit bending over for the filthy cop's and get some backbone.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join