It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of car would be best suited for a Sitx?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma

Originally posted by belsam
If your going to go for a car I would recommend anything other than a land rover.

so what other car would actually be up to the job, land rovers can be very versatile....
the older ones can even survive an emp attack

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Dar Kuma]

Sorry Typo. Should be "wouldn't".

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma
easy, land rover 110
land rover 110

Agreed, with one of those (especially the older ones) you can run them off cooking oil, which will be in plentiful supply and cheap.

I can't really rave too much about it though as I drive a Nissan Skyline! I know, total gas guzzler with hard to source parts, but hey! I'm making the most of it while it lasts!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DezertSkies

I must of taken a stupid pill the day of my first reply - I completely forgot about dirt motorcycles. Maybe it's because I sold my WR450F last year. I forgot that thing would climb a mountain while scrambling on animal trails (or not).

Small amounts of fuel can take you a long way and there are few obstacles that stop a good dirt bike.

Thanks for the heads up.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Well, i know that most people are probably going to gumble about this, but i'm inclined to believe that using any fuel whatsoever would be a very bad idea - not only if it a target for marauding survivors, but you're essentially sitting on what is a container filled with highly combustible material.

Personally, my plan is to grab on of those mountain boards and stick a big ol' sail on it, making wind-surfing my primary means of transportation.

Granted, i'll stick out like a sore thumb, but i'll also be a whole load more quiet.

Which of course, is vital for when you're trying to sneak past an enemy camp when they have transportation of their own, some of which may be faster than your conventional vehicle.

And of course, if i get a good wind there isn't a chance in hell they're going to catch me.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

My cousin is into that new kite boarding stuff and he can use a surf board for the water, a snowboard for in the mountain and a one wiith wheels that will roll on pavement or grass. Pretty cool, but requires a steady brisk wind and can be seen quite a ways away.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

While it's true that i have relatively little experience with wind-surfing (i did it once, lol) i'm not a car mechanic, and however unmanly it is of me to say this, the most i know about engines is that they work by combustion and where to put the spark plugs.

I wouldn't even know where to begin if the clutch pedal broke, or if something went wrong with the brake fluid.

And the gear box is like a magical device that makes it easier for your car to go faster.

I wouldn't be able to fix a vehicle if it was broken down, is what i'm saying.

So essentially my choice is more out of nessecity than out of any overweighing benefits.

It is however, a truth of a SitX that you will be living within your means.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'll admit i'm somewhat embarrased by my lack of expertise in this area.

I suppose if i had the time on my hands i could just have a bit of fun dissassembling an engine and then trying to reassemble it...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I'm not a mechanic either, but over 25 years or so I've owned a automobile I've replaced almost every part of a vehicle at one time - pretty simple just having the manual for reference and the right tools. I find every thing is half the cost or less if you do it yourself. Even if you don't have the tools you just buy whatever tools you need for each job that you do - eventually you have a pretty big set. Once you become familiar with your vehicle you don't have to rely on others if you get in a bind.

I have a rule that everything I use and rely on in this world I need to know how it works. Except for my notebook computers I've built every computer I've owned since 1986. There is nothing in a home I have not repaired or replaced.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Ah - i forgot cars came with manuals.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
1986?

Bloody ell' mate, you've been making computers since before i was even born.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
i guess if your solo and not with a family a dirtbike would probably be a good idea as a bugout vehicle. I dont think your going to being driving around regurlary after a sitx either, but i do thing its foolish not to leave yourself a way out if you need to escape from your new home which is a possibility.....

While i was reading the posts i had a thought, depending on the sitx, and if you live on the coasts (which are the highest population center) maybe accquiring a large boat and going off shore to wait out the inital panic would be a decent idea?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's a fair comment but you're much more at the mercy of the weather conditions and if you break-down at sea in SitX you could be totally fcked!

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I still agree that Land Rover Defenders, 90s and 110s are the way to go.

Back in my army days the 'Lannies' Dafs, Bedfords and all tracked vehicles were/are considered EMP proof with the glow rings/plugs by-passing the EMP gimped battery.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant

Ah - i forgot cars came with manuals.

Nope, not the ones that come with cars, there are a couple different publishers that sell them in the after market autoparts stores. Or I've leaned with this post they're online now -Chilton's and Haynes Repair Manuals. They give step by step instructions with diagrams, pictures and specifications such as how many times to turn the wrench (torque settings) etc. If you built Legos as a kid you can repair nearly anything on any car and sometimes make them better than new.

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
1986?

Bloody ell' mate, you've been making computers since before i was even born.

Yeah, I guess I'm a middled aged kid now. Never have grown up - as I still hang out with kids here - it seems.

Originally posted by drock905
maybe acquiring a large boat and going off shore to wait out the initial panic would be a decent idea?

I considered that and that would probably be the safe at some level, but I'm not interested in a Waterworld scenario - I suppose a strong fast sailboat might do the trick - as your need for fuel would be limited for cooking.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join