It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before you hit the Complaint Button again...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
My friends, it has gradually become apparent that there is some confusion about the use of the "Complaint/Suggestion" submissions. Lately we have been receiving a flood of complaints, usually by the same people, mostly in regards to people merely disagreeing in-thread with the one filing the complaint.

ATS is a very diverse community, we as staff are all committed to making this the most enjoyable experience possible for everyone here, including people who disagree with everything you personally believe in. This means that Skeptics have just as much right to say their peace as Believers, Atheists have as much right to be here as Fundamentalists, Republicans have as much right to be here as Democrats, Lions with Lambs, Apples with Oranges, etc.

ATS is successfully growing every day, as one of the most polite, intellectual, and respectful discussion forums on the world wide web, and it is because of our diversity, not in spite of it, that we achieve this. So long as you each communicate with one another in a mature fashion, or at the very least, not in violation of the Terms and Conditions, then we as Mods are not really needed to mediate the conversations.

Our mission at ATS is not to provide each person here with a homogeneous thread of people agreeing with the Original Post, or to judge people on their belief or skepticism in a subject. Our mission, as Mods, is to provide you, the member, with a healthy environment for rational, respectful discussion and debate, the core strength of ATS, and the reason so many of us believe in what's being achieved here. We aren't just providing a sounding board for the eccentric, we're making each and every one of us better communicators in learning how to rightfully respond to people of passionately different viewpoints than our own.

If you feel the need to hit that complaint tab, please consider a few things first:

• Did they really break the TAC, or are you just unhappy about their response?

• Did you already file a complaint about this person less than a day or two ago?

• Have you considered talking to the person via U2U, or in-thread to see if you can resolve things peacefully, of your own accord?

• Is it borderline enough that you yourself would have been annoyed to be warned about it?

This is not to suggest the complaint button shouldn't be used when needed. By all means, it is immensely helpful in helping us help you by keeping the board free of trolls, spammers, flooders, bots, and so blatant disregard for the TAC. However, I think if everyone takes a few moments to ask themselves those four questions, at least a few may realize that, there are better ways to deal with people they don't like, than simply hitting that "Complain" button.

Thank you for your time.

• posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:43 PM
    link   
    Oooh - I wanna hear what prompted this thread! Tell us tell us, please?!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:26 AM
    link   
    Nevermind. Bump.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:56 AM
    link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
    Oooh - I wanna hear what prompted this thread! Tell us tell us, please?!

Errr... I thought I'd already mentioned the reason? Here it is again:

Lately we have been receiving a flood of complaints, usually by the same people, mostly in regards to people merely disagreeing in-thread with the one filing the complaint.

No particularly huge drama, we just wanted to give a more up to date understanding of the complaint feature.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:47 PM
    link   
    Well I enjoy it when people disagree...

And with me, they usually do..

Just ask my wife...

If everyone thought the same, how interesting would ATS really be?

It's the diversity that makes ATS what we are....

Ok, now who disagrees with this? Come on...

Semper

new topics

top topics

join