It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US led food cartel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Think about this, what would you rather have in the long run, oil or food? It seems to me that the US has lost the ability to wage war. Not the kind that we’re obviously the most powerful at which is militarily, but I’m talking about economically. As we watch the price of oil soar past the 120.00 a barrel mark (there are several reasons for this which could be a whole different discussion) and talk about our “dependence on foreign oil” we’re forgetting about our greatest leverage in the commodities markets, food. It takes me back to the old Anglo-Dutch-Swiss food cartel theories a while back which was based mainly on expansion of companies from a global economic standpoint, not using it as leverage against other commodities. As the largest producer of grain, meat, dairy, and other food production, this could put the US in a unique position of forming a food cartel of sorts much like OPEC, but would only require perhaps as little as three countries. The US, Brazil and India would comprise the lions share of the most consumed commodities in the global food market. Would we, the US, have the stomach for such a thing? Just food for thought so to speak.

new topics

join