It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery to air Mars landing live

page: 1

join
share:
JbT

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Discovery to air Mars landing live

www.mediaincanada.com

Discovery Channel Canada plans to capture the next milestone in exploration of the Red Planet on May 25 at 7pm ET, when it will present Mars: The Phoenix Lands.

The two-hour special will include live footage as the Phoenix Rover arrives on the planet's surface at 7:46pm ET. The craft will be the first to explore the Martian arctic, and the Phoenix team hopes to uncover clues in the icy soil about the history of near-surface ice and its potential for habitability.
(visit the link for the full news article)

JbT

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I thought this would be fitting for this site, didnt see it posted yet.

I have honestly heard very little about this myself. I was given an email this morning linking me to this site. When I looked around I didnt find anything else, no other links.

Myself, Ill be watching for sure just to compair some of the video to the topics we see here on ATS.

Here is some more info:

Hosted by Daily Planet's Jay Ingram - who will transmit live on the ground from the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California - the special will cover the reactions of international space scientists and chronicle the Rover's development, which was more than nine months in the making.

Dr. Alain Berinstain, director of space exploration for the Canadian Space Agency, will join Ingram at mission control to provide a broader look at the scientific implications of the venture and comment on the first pictures of the Martian arctic.

www.mediaincanada.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-5-2008 by JbT]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the "Heads up" on this. I marked it on my calendar and am looking forward to watching this.

JbT

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Just an update;

www.discoverychannel.ca...

UPDATED 05/12/2008 -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander continues on course for its May 25 arrival at Mars. After targeting its certified landing site with a trajectory, or flight path, correction maneuver on April 10, the spacecraft's performance has been stable enough for the mission's operators to forgo the scheduled opportunity for an additional trajectory correction maneuver on May 10 and focus on the next such opportunity, on May 17.

NASA has conditionally approved a landing site in a broad, flat valley informally called "Green Valley." A final decision will be made after NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter takes additional images of the area this month.

"Our landing area has the largest concentration of ice on Mars outside of the polar caps. If you want to search for a habitable zone in the arctic permafrost, then this is the place to go,"...

Much more to read here;
www.discoverychannel.ca...

I cant wait for this, I hope its going to be as good of a show as they are making it seem.

top topics

join