It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives Happier Than Liberals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Conservatives Happier Than Liberals

news.yahoo.com

Individuals with conservative ideologies are happier than liberal-leaners, and new research pinpoints the reason: Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Gloom and doom liberals are seldom happy about anything, yet they want more people in the same boat with them.

Must be that "misery loves company" thing.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Must be that "misery loves company" thing.

Either that or "ignorance is bliss" eh?

Conservatives rationalize social and economic inequalities.

Is this a euphemistic way of saying conservatives have no heart, can't empathize and don't think of anybody but themselves?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Um, the article says that conservatives are happier than liberals because they are in denial. They just ignore the poor and less fortunate members of society. One could make the argument that conservatives are happier because they're just not very aware. Ya know, ignorance is bliss?

I really don't think you can say an entire group of people, something like half the population are miserable because they're liberal. I'm a liberal and I'm very happy and content with my life, as are all of my friends, and they're also liberal.

If you ever saw the 1988 demo and repub conventions, you'd see that the liberals were having a great time, while the Repubs were all in bed by 8:30. And if you really want to see people having a great time, go to a Pagan festival, those folks are all liberal, and boy do they know how to live it up!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Is this a euphemistic way of saying conservatives have no heart, can't empathize and don't think of anybody but themselves?

It’s a way of saying that conservatives know what makes a good productive life, while liberals need big brother to make them feel safe and happy. Which never works.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by christiansoldier

I am a through liberal and despite difficulties with my health and my income (or lack thereof) I am quite happy.

Sometime in my mid 40's I looked around and realized that I had everything that I needed (and then some)... that is not to say that there aren't things I want or would like... but thats not the same thing. That realization brought a lot of peace.

I pay close attention to what is going on in the world, I am concerned about the state of our environment and the disparity of wealth in this country and needless suffering in general. I don't like the direction our country is going and feel very deeply that it is a betrayal of our national values...

... none of that makes me unhappy or angst ridden however... no external cause can do that... only I can do that to myself.

Here is a link to a thread of mine that asserts that liberals are smarter than conservatives.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally I think all such characterizations are a load of bullhooey.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Who did they use for a study?

A town of republicans, with one black liberal fighting his way out?

I've never known conservatives to be happy people... they're always so uptight. When it comes to arguing, they tend to go absolutely ape---- when you prove them wrong.

The whole point to being liberal is to live and let live... well, at least thats what I see as the trend.
Who could be angry with that?

I'm going to have to call BS on this study.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by gdeed
It’s a way of saying that conservatives know what makes a good productive life, while liberals need big brother to make them feel safe and happy. Which never works.

What about neither conservatives or liberals know how to be happy, because they both don't have the slightest idea on how reality really works?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Actually, I think it's a way of saying that Conservatives actually think with their brains, and not just their hearts.

And as the OP said, it's basically all of this "doom and gloom" the liberals are on about lately.

"We're losing the war", "We're destroying the planet", "The economy is failing". Whatever the case may be, I can't remember the last time I heard something positive come out of a liberals mouth.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by nyk537]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by christiansoldier
Um, the article says that conservatives are happier than liberals because they are in denial. They just ignore the poor and less fortunate members of society. One could make the argument that conservatives are happier because they're just not very aware. Ya know, ignorance is bliss?

They are in denial that the sky is always falling, if that is bliss why not?

I really don't think you can say an entire group of people, something like half the population are miserable because they're liberal. I'm a liberal and I'm very happy and content with my life, as are all of my friends, and they're also liberal.

Sure liberals are happy, to complain about everything and have solutions for nothing.

If you ever saw the 1988 demo and repub conventions, you'd see that the liberals were having a great time, while the Repubs were all in bed by 8:30. And if you really want to see people having a great time, go to a Pagan festival, those folks are all liberal, and boy do they know how to live it up!

There is a big difference between party happy and real deal every day happy. But I’m not against pagan festivals, whatever makes you happy is find with me. Just don’t give me your gloom and doom, and most if not all of that comes from the liberals.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by gdeed]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Personally I think all such characterizations are a load of bullhooey.

A star for you.

Remember that this is an election year in the US.

The political left/right, conservative/liberal, red cola/blue cola dividing line must be emphasized at all costs. The OP seems to have swallowed that divide and conquer game hook line and sinker.

Keeping people arguing about which group is happier will just make everybody miserable.
Ironic isn't it?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Keeping people arguing about which group is happier will just make everybody miserable.
Ironic isn't it?

Actually I enjoy a good argument. So things like this actually do make me happy!

Your point is well received however.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Remember that this is an election year in the US.

The political left/right, conservative/liberal, red cola/blue cola dividing line must be emphasized at all costs. The OP seems to have swallowed that divide and conquer game hook line and sinker.

And you haven’t swallowed the leftwing line hook line and sinker?

Ironic isn't it?

When you see a wrong in the world you point it out, that’s all I’m doing. The left is wrong, and I’m happy to report on that. Truly, I am happy whenever I can expose what’s wrong in this world.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gdeed
And you haven’t swallowed the leftwing line hook line and sinker?

No I haven't and thanks for asking.

You want to be truly happy?

Ignore anybody who uses terms like left/right/liberal/conservative/red state/blue state in their arguments.

People who throw labels around can't think for themselves.

Labels are used to short circuit thought processes and lump everyone into a group for the purposes of being controlled. Anybody who uses them to argue from a point point of view they have (either consciously or unconsciously) adopted is to be ignored IMO.

It makes for a much happier world view and frees you up to accept ideas and concepts from all people regardless of the labels you would apply to them.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

People who throw labels around can't think for themselves.

It really irks me when I hear this said around here or anywhere else.

As it happens, I consider myself a "conservative", and use that "label" as such. I don't do this because I "can't think for myself", but rather because I find that I agree with most of the principles and values of conservative thinking.

I am not closed minded to other ideas and world views in any way. I simply know deep within myself what I feel is right and wrong, and I stand up for those beliefs fiercely.

If that means that you believe I can't think for myself and need to be ignored...

So be it.

But I will still be heard

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I am not closed minded to other ideas and world views in any way. I simply know deep within myself what I feel is right and wrong, and I stand up for those beliefs fiercely.

So your a "liberal" then?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

So your a "liberal" then?

I'm afraid not.

I did say that I know what is right and wrong, and that I stand up for that fiercely.

I guess I forgot to mention though that what I stand for is right, so that eliminates me from the liberal category.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Interesting as this article is.....

How does this tie into any existing or new conspiracies here on ATS?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The point is that the portion of your post I quoted can be applied to ANY political label you wish to choose and therefore the fact you have chosen to identify yourself as "conservative" must be for other reasons than those quoted.

I was hoping to show how ridiculous labels can be. I'm clearly not making my points clear enough so I'll just quit here.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled left/right slugfest.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by Gools]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Actually, I think it's a way of saying that Conservatives actually think with their brains, and not just their hearts.

That's been my theory all along. Here's some anecdotal "proof" to support the theory:

Ask a liberal their opinion of some issue and they will often reply, "I feel ...". Ask the same question to a conservative and they will often reply with, "I think ...".

Don't believe it? Try listening for it with your friends, politicians and even yourselves.

So, another example might be that liberals "feel" that something has to be done about all the suffering in the world. While a conservative would think and understand that looking at the scope in that macro way is too huge to even get your brain around, so the problem needs to be dealt with in a more micro, individual way. The word individual is key here, as well. Individual solutions that add up to solving the whole problem instead of just saying, "I'll pay my taxes and let the government solve it".

Which points out the other major difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals seem to believe that government can and should solve society's problems, while conservatives believe that maximizing individuals leads to maximizing the society.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by centurion1211]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join