It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abuse changes brains of suicide victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Av._e5W11VPfnXelTuiZNcqs0NUE

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Suicide victims who were abused as children have clear genetic changes in their brains, Canadian researchers reported on Tuesday in a finding they said shows neglect can cause biological effects.

The findings offer potential ways to find people at high risk of suicide, and perhaps to treat them and prevent future suicides.

And, the researchers said, they also offer insights into how neglect and abuse can perpetuate unhealthy behavior through the generations.

Moshe Szyf of McGill University in Montreal and colleagues studied the brains of 18 men who committed suicide and who were also abused or neglected as children, and compared them to 12 men who also died suddenly but from other causes, and who were not abused, although some had various psychiatric problems such as anxiety disorders.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have PTSD from things that happened in childhood. One of the things I often hear from others is "just get over it."

This is pretty clear evidence why that simply isn't possible.

It also exposes the lunacy of Church teachings that suicide condemns someone, since clearly changes in the brain caused by the actions of others precipitates it in many cases.

From a genetic perspective, given that abuse tends to make people have more children at a younger age, I wonder if natural selection in combination with abuse is proliferating the likelihood that people will abuse their children. Most children who were abused grow up to NOT abuse their children, but a certain percentage do.

I guess this is also evidence of the damage child abuse does to society as a whole.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I empathize with this article.

When I look back at my childhood I see nothing but pure *%$# hell. Beaten, stripped naked and thrown outside, forced to eat bad &^% food, locked in small closets all day on weekends if my oldman was home on the weekend etc.......and thats the good part. I used to pray he would die or go to jail for life.
When I allow myself to think about this I simply burn inside. Even as I write this anger bubbles over.

After the *&%8* first 15 years I left home and only came back once in a while to check on my mother.

Of course...that is not what caused my PTSD.....something far worse happened years later. In the words of one of my doctors...# happens...and they began, along with some other doctors, to help me to come to terms with my bull# life.

Now, at this point, my present day old lady is amazed at how I have changed. My older daughters, who I treat as God's gift to me, are also amazed at the change. My baby girl, who is in kindergarden has not seen her father get angry in a few years...and before that very seldom.

The secret in my recovery is something my Great Granddad and my Granddad used to grow on the farm.

I take no meds, I don't drink, work my ass off and kick back with mother natures healing herb at least 6 days a week when I get home.

Many, many peple have commented that they thought I would be dead or in jail but they don't know the about what could be termed as Rasta med.

Now I spend my time working on my bikes, working with the Boilermakers and spending time with my family.

This may not be everyone's answer but my doctors all agree that it is working. (one is my VA doctor/psych)

join