It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More commercial bee colonies lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A survey of bee health released Tuesday revealed a grim picture, with 36.1 percent of the nation's commercially managed hives lost since last year.

Bees are dying at unsustainable levels, the president of the Apiary Inspectors of America says.

Last year's survey commissioned by the Apiary Inspectors of America found losses of about 32 percent.

As beekeepers travel with their hives this spring to pollinate crops around the country, it's clear the insects are buckling under the weight of new diseases, pesticide drift and old enemies like the parasitic varroa mite, said Dennis vanEngelsdorp, president of the group.

This is the second year the association has measured colony deaths across the country. This means there aren't enough numbers to show a trend, but clearly bees are dying at unsustainable levels and the situation is not improving, said vanEngelsdorp, also a bee expert with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Every time I go outside and see bees in my yard, I feel happy because it hasn't hit my house yet.

This is bad news for our food supply, which is already being heavily hit by shortages from Ethanol production and rising global demand. I don't know why people aren't running around in a panic over this. I guess because it's easier to sweep it under the carpet and pretend it doesn't exist. After all, it might mean we have to clean up the environment to fix it!

If the bees go, so do the rest of us...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Tropics insects face extinction

news.bbc.co.uk...

the ecosystem will be all mess up, we really need to do something about it, if not we may found ourselves in the wrong end of the food chain.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by CzErased]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Its never a good thing when the pollinators die out... We will see a wide spread result from this in the next year.... I dont think it will take years to realize how bad it is....

The earth is going through many changes, man-made and natural, and due to reasons we may not understand right now, mother nature is tired of being bullied around, and here come the earth-changes.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Every year I get the swarms of honey bees all over my garden as they are fond of my holies when they flower in the sprint and many other spring flowers that I have my garden full with.

While many of my friends complains that they are afraid to come into my yard because of the bee population I have never been bitten by any.

Well this year I can not find no even one been in my garden.

This will be the first time in years.

I live in Ga.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
They will jump on this as soon as we can figure out a way to make money off it. I'm sure that a host of products will be coming out to save the bee's and humanity. You just can't jump onto this until you have your marketing right. Sorry for being a smart ass but this is probably the biggest problem we face and no one really seems to care. If the bees die so do we and all the BS on this planet will not matter. Faces on mars, pyramids, the economic cabal, Osama Bin Laden, Carlyle group, Dick Cheney , NSA, CIA, 9/11, terrrorists, republicans, democrats, mind control, NOTHING WILL MATTER because we will be dead just like the bee's. Maybe AL Gore could make this his next big project and get a second Nobel Peace prize. Hollywood is running out of ideas to entertain us. Maybe a movie about the bees dying and the eventual death of the planet would be a block buster.
I'll even guess at the real problem. Cell phones and probably digital ones. I'm not that smart but the bees dying off and the digital cellphone coincide pretty good.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamsnatcher

With the advances of technology, both commercial and everyday people, we are adding sooooooooo many more radio waves, electronic signals, etc.. Its no surprise that the delicate nature of insects and animals is being adjusted...... bees, bats, spiders, fish, the list is growing larger every day, and all we can do is sit back and watch, until someone figures it out, and is not silenced, so we can make changes....

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by damntheptb

My question to you is are we really advancing and if we kill the bees in the process what will it matter that we can talk on cell phones or collide to particles together. Really if they die we all die. So will any electronic gadget that does something to make life more convenient matter? If a scientist discovers what happens in a black hole by shooting a laser in it from earth, great, but why are the bees dying. If we all die who would care about anything we have done since we came about? My very simple point is that nothing will matter.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamsnatcher
reply to post by damntheptb

My question to you is are we really advancing and if we kill the bees in the process what will it matter that we can talk on cell phones or collide to particles together. Really if they die we all die. So will any electronic gadget that does something to make life more convenient matter? If a scientist discovers what happens in a black hole by shooting a laser in it from earth, great, but why are the bees dying. If we all die who would care about anything we have done since we came about? My very simple point is that nothing will matter.

I agree 100%, advancement comes at a cost, and the view of the road ahead doesn't look very inviting or friendly...

new topics

top topics

join