It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are all the protest songs?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I have thought about that so many times.
First off we gotta ask, are there really anything to fight for these days? Most western countries are doing fairly well, the youth are ambitious and are well fed. Noone struggles to get food... everyone has everything, even PS3s, Wiis and what not.
We are comfortably numb... like Pink Floyd said.

Add to that, sites like these... blogs, Facebook groups and other sites. Apparently the way to vent anger and frustration towards our incompetent governments today is writing two lines in an email, blog or semi dodgy biased website (read something else than ATS if it makes you happy / angry).
There simply is no need to make those songs. Which is really bad, cause people like Ginsberg or Dylan were voices of their generation. They had something to say and they weren't scared of stepping on any toes.
These days as a musician you're in risk of earning only 1 mill this year instead of 5 if you say something someone gets offended by.

We have nothing to fight for... and even if we did, we don't have a spine stronger than enabling us to whine.

Ironicly, here I sit, in a damp office at work, in my cheap H&M shirt, by my Mac computer and the next thing I'll be thinking of, is how annoying it is that my thighs are sticking to the chair because of the heat.

Revolt!

[edit on 8/5/08 by flice]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I agree I think it belongs in ATS. Something is definitely wrong with the culture now.....in that it seems as though they are definitely controlling all forms of media except the internet...which as everyone knows they are trying to do now.

During the sixties all that was on the radio was protest songs.The opposition to the war then was all over the TV then.Thank Rupert Murdoch for garbage we call news today.The guy is a scum bag to the fullest.Hope he gets a nice hardy welcome at Hells gate.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
im sorry to be a kill joy, but, shouldn't this thread be in BTS?

Well now, it could go in BTS Music - but it has a political slant, BTS Chit-Chat - but hey its a heavy subject and BTS is a chill out zone, General Conpiracies - (is the lack of music a conspiracy bought about by main stream media subduing artist opinion?), or we could just leave it here in other current events under the guise of

discussion of contemporary world events, with a general focus on conspiracies and/or cover-ups that may not easily fit into other topical forums

.....as you can class protest songs as a contemporary world event, that may be a conspiracy, that don't necessarily (see above) easily fit into other topical forums

See...this modding lark ain't easy
Perm any one from 4.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Let me offer the twist then

Current technology is a direct development from the experiences governments have made with protested and the public in general during the 60s and 70s.
A tool was needed in order to subdue us, and so the internet and extreme personal leisure evolved and became common mans toys.
And we let them do it... cause hey, we're having fun with our consols aren't we?

So we could discuss the link between this and the lack of decent protesting. And how to evolve out of this bitter soup we tread waters in.

[edit on 8/5/08 by flice]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hi All-

Everyone should check out Michael Franti's music- he's also the frontman for Steelpulse, a righteous band in itself. Here's a taster:

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

[edit on 8-5-2008 by dhardeman]

JSR

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

there is no conspiracy. people buy what people want. radios play what is promoted for purchase. there is no secret in that. it has always been this way.

and.....up until my post, everyone was just posting their favorite songs, complete with youtube links. same as " what are you listening to " stuff.

protest songs are just a section of music. and it has been displayed very well in the previous posts before my seemingly offensive post, that there are plenty of protest songs out there.

hence, "where did all the protest songs go?" they have always been there.

so...excuse me for my "protest" i will move along now.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by JSR]

JSR

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I agree I think it belongs in ATS. Something is definitely wrong with the culture now.....in that it seems as though they are definitely controlling all forms of media except the internet...which as everyone knows they are trying to do now.

im not replying to you specifically. I just want to point out, IMO, that the music scene of the 60's and 70's was just a peripheral to the protest of the day. it was an outlet by which frustration could be vented. it was not the driving force of the protest. the issues were.

the music industry has always been the same. it is designed to sell you stuff.

there are still protest songs out there. but, the majority of protest happens right here on the internet. you people are already in the middle of the next big thing, and your still looking back at old mediums of expression, wondering what happened to it. it transformed. it went from that to this. the internet. [/rant]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I find it interesting that a couple of older rock bands, who never concerned themselves too much with politics have recently been inspired to really address the issue.

The new Scorpions video

And W.A.S.P.'s latest album "Dominator" is anti-government themed. An interesting statement about it by singer Blackie Lawless:

"When I first started to write the songs for what would be this album, “Dominator”, I was unhappy and disturbed about America’s place in the world. Like most Americans after September 11th, I wanted to see the men that plotted and planned those attacks hunted down like the savage animals they are.

I still do

When the war in Iraq started, it seemed as if that “hunt” would take place and justice would be served. As the war progressed, day after day, it was becoming obvious that we had been sold the greatest pack of lies since the days of Richard “Tricky Dick” Nixon.
These lies continue.
Pete said “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again”. Well, we got fooled… again!

I watched the way the US was talking down to other countries. That is to say, addressing smaller, less powerful countries with little to no respect. When I saw the exchange with George W. Bush and Britain’s Tony Blair I was stunned at Bush’s arrogance. We had all seen it before, but telling another world leader, while cameras are filming, to “go down there and tell them I said to knock that # off” (referring to the Middle East), left my jaw hanging open. Bush using Blair like some sort of “errand boy” and this is America’s greatest ally. So we can only imagine what was going on with the other so called allies.

The more I thought about it, I realized that bigger countries abuse smaller countries similar to the way men do to women. Men abuse women, disrespect them and treat them like #. Why?… because they can. In effect, a smaller country is treated by a more powerful country just like an abusive man-woman relationship, making them “their bitch”.

Upon first listening, or reading of these lyrics, one might think that it is written from the point of view of a man talking to a woman. In reality, it is a bigger, more powerful country talking to a weaker one. At the same time denying its own people, when the people need them the most.

For me this concept was interesting, but saddening at the same time.

“Dominator” is largely a view of American Imperialism and the “Bully” tactics it uses and enforces.
I hate bullies!

The last six years in America has been an unbelievable ride. After September 11th I was never more proud to be an American. After going to New Orleans and seeing the devastation and abandonment of that great city by its own Federal Government I was never more ashamed to be an American.

The fundamental organizing principle by any Government is its ability to make war against and controlling its own people. We have seen that this American administration uses it not to benefit its own people in their moment of need and despair, but to abuse its power to “Dominate” the lesser countries of the world.

“I’ll make you cry for mercy, I’ll make you cry out loud”

I once wrote “I love my country, but I’m scared to death of its Government”.
Nothing I have ever written is more true!.

BL "

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
Not one person here mentioned Rage Against the Machine

The are without a doubt the front runners of anti government tunes.

You may think that they are dead, but if im not mistaken Chris Cornell is touring solo (No more Audio Slave) which means Rage band is open to bring Zac back and start kickin ass again.

The Fox 99.3 in vancouver has been playing no less than one Rage song a day, even though they have not recorded anything since the late 90's.

The guitarist has a degree in political science and his great uncle was the first elected leader of Kenya. Zac has spoke on the floor of the UN, they are not just a band they are political activists full time.

Zac writes a lot of political bs really, the man is way out there, he has a few good things to say but most of the crap he spews is based around paranoia and pride, he's full of it. First time I listened to what he was saying I heard "So now I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun, These people ain't seen a brown skin man, Since their grandparents bought one". Zac is more on the same page as Rev. Wright then anything else.

I meen soooo very creative, hmmm how do we explain division and our short commings, I got it, it's a conspirocy from the white man to keep us down, lets ignore the fact they have done everything imaginable to try and lift us up and give us advantages and priveleges above any other race in the country. White, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, ect. Don't matter, African Americans got more priveleges and given advantages then you, yet when they fail to lift themselves up it's blamin time and when you gots blamin to do god forbid you look in the mirror.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

While a high percentage of people may be anti war, an almost equal number of people feel uncomfortable hearing their country being bashed.

And we wonder why Nazi Germany flourished? Because people didn't want their country being bashed. You know what they say about not learning the lessons of history!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I am a song writer with many message songs about current affairs that you've never heard. I'm hoping to change that somehow. But here's a current one that's pretty good: "Cheney's Toy." Some people are trying to reach the heart and minds of people and wake them up.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Megalomaniac, by Incubus is a pretty much straight up FU to Bush and his entire administration.

and that's about as close to a "radio" band singing a political song as you'll see now days, and look what it did for thier careers, haven't heard nothing from them since.... (and I noticed that song didn't get much airtime, even though it was a pretty well put together song musically and lyrically), Except for Green Day I guess, your not gonna hear any really popular bands singing about politics , so props to them, for makeing a whole album themed for it.

But the real pop groups and singers, they are either too afraid to sing about politics, or too busy singing about how thier bling is shinier than the other guys bling, or singing about some reality TV show, or teenage angst. Actually it's probably that they have no clue what's even going on outside thier little shell of a dreamlife they are in, so they have no motivation to even think about writing about the War.

But if you look at more underground stuff, and more on the Metal, Hard Core, GrindCore, Thrash, Death Metal, whatever you wanna call it, I just call it all Metal, mostly all bands have political interests and sing about them often. They just don't get radio time and never will, because, the songs aren't dumbed down for the masses, where you sing the chorus x10, then a half a verse, then the chorus x20.

I'm not sure if "rock the vote" is still around (i haven't watched mtv since they cut Headbangers ball), But at least we have bands like System of a Down, (as mentioned) stepping up. Shame Rage against the Machine Broke up, but AudioSlave does put out some pretty good music as well. But Chris Cornell's lyrics although great, are not nearly as politically driven as Zac's were.

But yea we need some really POPular people in music, as much as I hate mostly all of them. We need these jackoffs like eminem, and Marilyn Manson, dare I say Christinia Agulara(sp?), Beyonce, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlame, you could have Bono Lead the whole thing or is he down with the illuminati(shame cause U2 was politically motivated for a while if I remember right?)?,But is he "Sir" Bono now? I'm sure "Sir" Elton John(haha, that made me laugh), and "Sir" Paul McCartney are, so forget that.

But anyhow, Get them all together, and do a frigging "We are the World" for 2008, about how war in Iraq is bad, and Bush is a Criminal. Maybe a song done BY people like THEM will get some air time, and get this nation off it's collective arse.

If the song works, and does something good, great. If not, we can make fun of them. Win , Win.

It's a damn shame John Lennon is gone (RIP), he'd write one for the masses right about now, I'm sure of it.

I'm 100% sure if he was still alive he'd be doing something to rock the friggin boat, and not doing some stupid crap reality show, *cough Ozzy, *cough* Gene Simmons, wastes...like some people.

In conclusion, I'd have to say the OP is right. Even though I wasn't alive in the 60's. Looking back on it, and talking to my parents. It was more of the mainstream bands singing about Vietnam, and politics. Free speech was all the rage. So good thread, starred and flagged for sure.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Nola213]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Those songs are never played because their not very good! the radio plays hit songs if its not a hit its not gonna get much airtime

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

"So now I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun, These people ain't seen a brown skin man, Since their grandparents bought one"

I think you missed the meaning of the song here.

The lyrics are supposed to be from the point of view of how "some" dark skinned man in white America actually feel. He never says it's right or wrong.

In context of the rest of the song, I believe the meaning is it's actually wrong the feelings this person is feeling about planning to shoot up Rodeo.

The song to me seemed to be about how crazy some people actually can be.

Of course Zac doesn't believe someone living on Rodeo Drive hasn't seen a black man in some 80+ years..... But that IS what some people do think, and I think that is the sentiment of the song. That there is some crazy people out there.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Nola213]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's already been mentioned before, but most underground punk is highly political in nature. I'd say about 99.9% of crust punk is political in nature. Protest songs are everywhere if you know what genre's to look in. Conspiracy topics are common as well, the band Atrocious Madness titled one of the their releases "the uses of HAARP", and has several songs about chemtrails.

Here's a great video from Behind enemy lines. Great song, even better band!

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Apparently, you haven't been looking very hard. Entire genres of music are bitching about Bush, et al, and it seems like a new anti-war album comes out every other week. Even gangster rappers are doing it. Even if you only listen to mainstream radio, you'll hear plenty of it.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
They are right here... www.myspace.com... this guy's music is great, brings across his message very well.
Ofcourse he is being kept out of the mainstream... so everyone should make sure he can.

Resentedhalo

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I just realized your sig is from one of the albums I was referring to earlier The Empire Strikes First by Bad Religion. Of course, BR, being one of the more intelligent groups out there, realized this anti-war stuff is tired and played-out by now and they didn't dwell on the subject much at all on their next album.

I don't think as many people care about the wars as you think do. At first I was vocally opposed to it, but then I realized that it really doesn't effect my life at all and I could care less about a bunch of people being blown up thousands of miles away from me. Even the billions of tax dollars used to fund it all somehow don't manage to hurt my budget (since the government's money is all imaginary anyway).

As long as the American people aren't forced to finance a war, and as long as they aren't being drafted or exposed to a threat (for instance, an enemy capable of launching a counter attack on U.S. soil), they won't be against the war for very long.

I would argue that every war fought in American history besides the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the War in the Pacific (not the European front) was unnecessary, especially World War I, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf Wars.... But as long as I'm not personally affected, I could care less what the armed forces are up to.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
If you guys want music bout conspiracies, check out Puppet Truth on myspace.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
seems like you dont hear the stuff much because basically, no one wants to listen to that 'crap' unless they have a need to. its one thing to listen to the song because you want to, bu ti think we've started to hit a tipping point in society where people are internally screaming 'keep your damn opinions out of my face' , and really, I see it in myself even. then theres sellout bads like rage against the machine, green day, U2, and so on who make their career out of it and its just tiring, played out, fake and boring.

There are a number of bands and songs out ther efor it, but even the bands don't make a big deal out of it.

Some that come to mind right now are from the metal band Exodus from their "Tempo of the Damned" release:
Scar Spangled Banner
War is my Shepard

On the hard rock/metal side, look up a lot of stuff from motorhead, theres some amazingly well thought out songs in that, seriously. Look up teh lyrics to march or die. great stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join