It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are all the protest songs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Current approval ratings of our government are at all time lows. We have been fighting a war that +70% of the people don't want. Yet, the only protest songs I ever hear are from the 60's and 70's. Once in a while, we will get current bands covering those same songs, but nothing is getting any air play.

Am I just old and out of touch, or is music really dead?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Take A Bow by Muse

The Dixie Chicks were in trouble because of a anti-bush song.

and i am sure there tons of anti-war song , the thing is that, radio today does not want that kind of material in their air time. what they want is stupid non sense, sexual song.

or maybe the goverment does not want them to play song like that on the radio, so they tell the stations not to put them.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CzErased

Which blows my mind. Why would the radio avoid playing songs about a concept that over 70% of the population believes in?

MTV has ruined music.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
There have been some effort by some artist to get some points across;however you are right you don't here these on the radio or being performed on say Jay Leno or Letterman.

youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...://www.progressiveu.org/190000-modern-anti-war-songs-my-favorites-do-you-know-any-more

www.youtube.com...://www.progressiveu.org/190000-modern-anti-war-songs-my-favorites-do-you-know-any-more

These are just a few.

"The Expatriate Act" - The World/Inferno Friendship Society

"Sad State of Affairs" - The Descendents

"Baghdad" - The Offspring

"¡Paranoia! Cha-Cha-Cha" - The Soviettes

"Overcome (The Recapitulation)" - Rx Bandits

"Favorite Son" - Green Day

"Let Them Eat War" - Bad Religion

"Unity" - Operation Ivy

"Time's Up" - Donots

[edit on 7-5-2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
You're not hearing protest songs because the music industry is a self-serving industry that has only one goal. Make more money. Haven't they already proved that they don't care about their audience with court summons and lawsuits? If you're not bringing in the cash for the executives, your song doesn't get air-time. Plain and simple.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Oh geez, why do liberals always make better protesters?
While a high percentage of people may be anti war, an almost equal number of people feel uncomfortable hearing their country being bashed. Two wrongs don't make a right, which is why most people have a "shutup and sing" attitude towards our "entertainers". People have also probably come to realize protesting accomplishes nothing.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Not one person here mentioned Rage Against the Machine

The are without a doubt the front runners of anti government tunes.

You may think that they are dead, but if im not mistaken Chris Cornell is touring solo (No more Audio Slave) which means Rage band is open to bring Zac back and start kickin ass again.

The Fox 99.3 in vancouver has been playing no less than one Rage song a day, even though they have not recorded anything since the late 90's.

The guitarist has a degree in political science and his great uncle was the first elected leader of Kenya. Zac has spoke on the floor of the UN, they are not just a band they are political activists full time.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Oh geez, why do liberals always make better protesters?
While a high percentage of people may be anti war, an almost equal number of people feel uncomfortable hearing their country being bashed. Two wrongs don't make a right, which is why most people have a "shutup and sing" attitude towards our "entertainers". People have also probably come to realize protesting accomplishes nothing.

Speek for yourself buddy, If it didnt do anything you would be spit shinning georges boots for him calling him dada.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
Not one person here mentioned Rage Against the Machine

The are without a doubt the front runners of anti government tunes.

You may think that they are dead, but if im not mistaken Chris Cornell is touring solo (No more Audio Slave) which means Rage band is open to bring Zac back and start kickin ass again.

The Fox 99.3 in vancouver has been playing no less than one Rage song a day, even though they have not recorded anything since the late 90's.

The guitarist has a degree in political science and his great uncle was the first elected leader of Kenya. Zac has spoke on the floor of the UN, they are not just a band they are political activists full time.

If I had to guess, it is probably the same reason I did not list them...because they have made a career out of protesting any and everything our government does.All of there songs are political in nature one way or another......gets old.

JSR

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Originally posted by Alxandro
Oh geez, [U]why do liberals always make better protesters?[/U]

Speek for yourself buddy, If it didnt do anything you would be spit shinning georges boots for him calling him dada.

naw..not better...just more agressive.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by JSR]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
One of My very favorite bands(now split) is System Of A Down'. Love them! They're super hard though. They've recorded 5-6 albums and most are very political. Songs like 'Soldier Side', ' B.Y.O.B', 'Boom' and 'F--- the System'. They're actually part of a Non-Profit Political Organization called 'Axis of Justice' geared toward musicians, music lovers who're dedicated to social justice. Check 'em out.

Peace. K*

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
As a protest songwriter I have to agree their is very little in the way of decent music left, it is a sad state of affairs the music industry, but hey what sells. It would seem most Sheople [oops people) do not wish to have the truth put in front of them, otherwise gee they might have to take a look at their belief system, and hey fear becomes too much when you realize your life and beliefs are nothing but controlled ignorance. I do like System Of The Down, they are a great band and their are others, but mostly it all just teeny bopper dribble and dance I won't call it music.

Tip tap type, I don't write for the fun
Hip hop hype I won't say for to pun
I'm confused and it gives me the S--Ts
But I only say that cause it fits

Another bomb in blah blah blah
Killed another hundred dead just then
So lets all tune tomorrow
We can all hear it again

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by undead trev
As a protest songwriter I have to agree their is very little in the way of decent music left, it is a sad state of affairs the music industry, but hey what sells. It would seem most Sheople [oops people) do not wish to have the truth put in front of them, otherwise gee they might have to take a look at their belief system, and hey fear becomes too much when you realize your life and beliefs are nothing but controlled ignorance. I do like System Of The Down, they are a great band and their are others, but mostly it all just teeny bopper dribble and dance I won't call it music.

Tip tap type, I don't write for the fun
Hip hop hype I won't say for to pun
I'm confused and it gives me the S--Ts
But I only say that cause it fits

Another bomb in blah blah blah
Killed another hundred dead just then
So lets all tune tomorrow
We can all hear it again

Wow after reading your lyrics there I imagined Dave Mustain singing it for some reason.Yet I am not a big fan of his, but his voice seems to fit your lyrics there.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
We don't hear any anti-war songs because the public does not care.

Pretty much every punk rock band plays anti-war songs.

This band The Unseen has great musical talent and a very unique style, but I doubt they will ever become mainstream.

Left For Dead

10-26-2005 it marked the day
2000 soldiers died
We all live in fear day after day
As global warming is on the way
Put a bullet in you gun
And Point it at your head
Sometimes it seems we're already dead
New Orleans suffered devastation
And from the graves
The dead have risen

Some times it seems we're left for dead
So much hopelessness and destruction
We must rise up open our eyes
Make a change before we die
We are left for dead if we don't try

Plane strikes the target
Was there a bomb?
Detonation leads to crumbling
See the hole
In the wall of the Pentagon
Bodies gone
No bones or metal remains
We all have a right
A right to choose
Interpret what we see on the news
Religious wars, racial hatred
The truth is f# suffocated

Well can't you see
It's f# getting darker everyday!!
How long can our world subsist
Will the madness subside
Will extinction rain down from the sky
3,2,1, now or anytime. We could all die.
We're left for dead if we don't try
Poisoned or pure
It's left for dead if we don't try
There's no escape ha
We're left for dead if we don't try
The poor, the rich are left for dead
If we don't try.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Double Post

[edit on 7-5-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CzErased
Take A Bow by Muse

The Dixie Chicks were in trouble because of a anti-bush song.

and i am sure there tons of anti-war song , the thing is that, radio today does not want that kind of material in their air time. what they want is stupid non sense, sexual song.

or maybe the government does not want them to play song like that on the radio, so they tell the stations not to put them.

It wasn't an anti-Bush song, it was an anti-Bush comment and it was made shortly after September 11th, which was bad timing on their part.

Anyhow there are plenty of Protest songs, and protest albums, such as Rock Against Bush Volume 1 and 2 ->

www.amazon.com...

www.amazon.com...

Then there are songs like:

Two Weeks from Twenty - Yellowcard
Wake me up when September Ends - Green Day (single)
American Idiot - Green Day (single)
March of the dogs - Sum 41

The Jester - Sum 41
Mosh - Eminem
and more...

Those are all big artists, just because they weren't released as singles doesn't mean they don't exist.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

I didn't mention rage because they haven't really been raging since things really got bad. Looks like they have a good chance of reuniting soon though. I look forward to hearing some new stuff. Hopefully it makes the radio.

Thanks to everyone for the songs and bands. It shameful that none of it really gets any airplay.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Neil Young admits music can't change the world

"I think that the time when music could change the world is past," Young told reporters, according to the AP. "I think it would be very naïve to think that in this day and age."

As much as I dislike Neil, his whiny hippie music, and old timey protest songs in general, he is the OG of musical protest. And if he says it can't be done...well I suppose it most likely can't.

That being said, even if the protest songs that are out can't change the world, I think they're unpopular because they preach to the choir instead of trying to reach people who don't already share the same views. Instead of making people stop and rethink things, they insult the country, the President, soldiers, etc. And most people just don't want to hear that.

Yeah, American Idiot is catchy, but it's insulting.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Do they not play Springsteen in the USA any more? Plenty of anti Iraq war and anti Bush songs on Magic

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Not just the song American Idiot but the whole CD is pretty much anti-war.

Sum41 had a tune a couple of years ago as well called "All to Blame", I think.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join