It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And if Anthropogenic Global Warming was true

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I don’t know whether Anthropogenic Global Warming is true or not, I’m kinda drowned in all the info leading to one or another conclusion but :

- If Anthropogenic Global Warning is just a great hoax, or swindle and we end using way less or no oil at all we’ll say ok sorry guys it we were wrong purposely or not, but look now we’re not oil’s slave anymore, our cities are almost unpolluted so it was a great move anyway
- But now if Anthropogenic Global Warning is not a hoax and like many catastrophic scenarios tell us ( rising oceans, melting permafrost…)
Then what we’ll say to the millions of people dead around the world, sorry guys we screwed up, see ya in hell ?

Like I said I don’t know if it’s true or not, but maybe we have a lot to gain in the process of reducing our oil consumption.

PS : Sorry if my english is bad

Marmelade

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It doesn't really feel like there is a genuine "push" to get away from oil. At least not from the people that could actually do something about it. It feels like the push will be to generate more tax revenue through carbon taxes.

If it is true, then pointing the finger isn't going to work. Reducing dependence isn't going to work with countries like India and China coming online now. We would be better served by trying to figure out what we need to do to survive the consequences.

Weather we like it or not, the climate change is like a freight train in motion. It is picking up steam. Figuring out why the train started rolling is fine and dandy, but it isn't going to slow it down. We need to figure out how to survive the ride and hope we don't fall off the tracks.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Well yeah you're right about China and India...plus they use a lot of coal whitch is even worse than oil :
70 % of China's energy comes from coal and 69% of India's electricity is generated from coal, and it's not gonna change soon, I guess I should be happy to live with my kids in the mountain...

Marmelade

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marmelade

- But now if Anthropogenic Global Warning is not a hoax and like many catastrophic scenarios tell us ( rising oceans, melting permafrost…)
Then what we’ll say to the millions of people dead around the world, sorry guys ...

i just do not see how rising oceans or hotter heat waves are things that cannot be accommodated for... for instance:

prohibit new building on any land that is less than 16 feet above sea-level

all existing structures in any 100 year flood areas must be on 16 foot stilts

upgrade all regional building codes to withstand Category 5 hurricane/tornados & 6.5 earthquakes

commerce & related support would remain in grandfathered 'Port' Cities
but civilian populations would be relocated to areas inland that are the required 16' above high tide, (or near 5 miles min. inland)

retrofitting 'Domed' cities is another partial solution that is technically doable

its not so much gloom-&-doom,
as i see it , the climate change is only: out-with-the-old/in-with-the-new
or else TEOTWAWKI [the end of the world as we know it]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I am more concerned about surviving another Ice Age. I agree with you that there are solutions for surviving a warmer climate. I don't see the same rosy outlook for if / when the ocean currents stop and an ice age hits. I have serious doubts about our ability to feed people in such an event.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

? the ocean currents/ ocean conveyor should undergo change
but not coming to a stop...
humanity will need to migrate and adjust, perhaps even abandon many metropolitan areas, perhaps even return to subsistance agrarian living...

the many active volcanos we seem to be currently have going on might be the early stages of another Siberian traps era... where it is believed that the clouds of dust were the what initiated the last ice-age cycle.

there is whispers that scientists have a theoretical model where if the global warming gets too out-of-hand, that we are capable if injecting
micron sized reflective mirrors in an aerosol and loading up the stratosphere with the mixture, causing a 1/3d decrease of sunlight and IR radiation to reach the biosphere & resulting in putting the brakes on exponential heating of the planet.... its not Sci-Fi, its real.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
reply to post by Karlhungis

there is whispers that scientists have a theoretical model where if the global warming gets too out-of-hand, that we are capable if injecting
micron sized reflective mirrors in an aerosol and loading up the stratosphere with the mixture, causing a 1/3d decrease of sunlight and IR radiation to reach the biosphere & resulting in putting the brakes on exponential heating of the planet.... its not Sci-Fi, its real.

While I think it's quite possible I wonder what would be the effect on photosynthesis, I mean would the flora still grow fast enough?

new topics

top topics

join