It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears for millions as Myanmar blocks aid workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Fears for millions as Myanmar blocks aid workers

timesofindia.indiatimes.com

YANGON: Aid groups said on Wednesday that they were still awaiting permission to enter Myanmar, where they reported bodies rotting on the ground and desperate cyclone survivors dying from hunger and disease. (Watch)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Common what the hack going on.People are fiends and that bastar....d not allow some one help those poor people shame on you

timesofindia.indiatimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Mynamar. What is to say of their gov?
During the most crucial time period before disease kicks in to kill countless more thousands of people they maintain standnoffish. Don't think humanitarian efforts are going to try to unlock mynamars weapons technology. The masses always lose.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I never have understood the rationale behind nations blocking aid from entering their country during disaster. Of course, didn't the US do the same thing during Katrina? Mind you, our system is a little better off and the danger of losing millions wasn't there, but stilll.... why refuse a helping hand. Are we offering aid with strings attached or does the Burma Govt just enjoy seeing its own people die?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
You are absolutely right again Karl. Mexico had trucks loaded for aid and we turned them back. Completely forgot about that.
We as in 'w'. God I hate that little man.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by jpm1602]

[edit on 5/7/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

Whether it be some sort of false pride, thinking that secrets will be stolen or anything else just as stupid, there is no excuse for not allowing aid.

I like to think that in times of great need humanity can ignore it's petty conflicts for at least a few months and really pull together to help those that need it.

We should just barge in and help, along the same lines as the Berlin Air Lift in the 40's. Because if someone doesn't at least try to help, hundreds of thousands could die.

I dearly hope someone comes to their senses.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I guess if push came to shove we could always air drop supply. Unbelievable it has to come down to that. I don't think the Mynamar royale air force would have a problem with it.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I think cleaning up the dead and rebuilding infrastructure for sanitation is at least as big of a problem as the food. Dropping food will only delay the pain for a short time. If they don't get the place sanitized soon, things will go down hill fast.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Agreed. A floating cesspool of the dead leads to typhoid, malaria, and an alphabetic load of disorders.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
unfortunatly - we cannot really ` force ` aid in to burma - it might be resisted by force - and the operations to secure bridgeheads would make the situation far worse

the berlin airlift is in no way a valid comparisson - during that the inhabitants and authorities of the french , brittish and american sectors welcomed the planes and all material was distrubuted fairly

even if you lobbed supplies in to burma - the burmese authoriotes could just mopp them up

unless you also ciontroled the ground - and that would lead to conflict which would further impact the survivors

new topics

top topics

join