It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Home Phone Makes Random Calls...Unexplained So Far

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
NOTE: I spent quite a while finding the proper forum to post this on and this seemed like the best so I apologize if it shouldn't be here.
----------------------------------
Hi everyone,

Well needless to say it's 4:30 A.M as I am writing this after being awoken at 3:30 since i'm pretty paranoid I have to admit. Now for my details, I"m 18 years old, live in Ohio and have Cincinnati Bell for telephone service. I haven't contacted the phone company yet about this as I am not sure they will give me a proper answer so this is why I come to you guys to possibly point me in the right direction. The random phone calls have happened about 6 times. Last time it happened was anywhere from a month to 3 months ago. It was some phone number that the cordless had dialed.

(To point out ahead of time, i've searched on the internet and ATS to see if anybody else has had some problems like this but I couldn't find crap so if you know of a story like this or very similar as far as how it's working, please let me know)

I searched for that phone number on many sites, reverse, you name it and couldn't find any information on it. So I was like "Hell, i'll just call it...". I did and unsurprisingly, it was disconnected :-( It did that 2 times shortly after that one but since it was on the charger and nobody got to it in time, we couldn't see what the number was but I don't think there was a pattern. Tonight it did it and just dialed a number thats on my speeddial, a business partner of mine. Oh and did I mention when it dials the numbers, it puts it on frickin speakerphone!?!? Either way, it's a good thing I stopped the call before it went through, otherwise I don't think my business partner would be too happy lol.

Ok so, it woke me up, I stopped it and then went to the bathroom. I set it on the kitchen table and when I got out of the bathroom, pretty much on key it turns on the speakerphone and you just hear the dial tone. Needless to say, if I lived alone in my house and that stuff happened, I'd be getting the Fu*k out of there for the night, screw that. I'll be honest, I was so paranoid that I woke my mom up and talked to her for a little bit. While I was talking to her, the thing happened again and I just barely saw the number and instantly stopped the call because I was pretty much in panic mode but this time it was a totally different number, 828 area code is all I remember. Maybe I over-reacted but who knows. Also my mom recalls the other day she got up and left her room to go do something and when she got back the phone was on speaker and had called her boyfriend's work, it was on the automated system.

No coincidences have happened at his work so I think it rules out supernatural but i am still not sure. You know like letting you know that something bad is about to happen, stuff like that.

Last but not least, I can recall 3 times when I've had my stereo on and it's got an auxiliary cord running from the computer to it so I can listen to music from my PC. Well one of the times I was just sitting there and then some sort of transmission came on, it was some guys talking and lasting probably 3 seconds or so. Another time I was showing my friends some video on Youtube and it happened. I figured it was my stereo picking up on other frequencies such as what the police use. Then another time was sitting at my computer and this weird high-pitched sound came on and it lasted about the same time, 3 seconds or so. What was weird is it was very loud and blocked out every other sound but didn't hurt my ears.

If you could please give me your advice and/or help me figure this out, I would highly appreciate it. Thank you and all stories are welcome :-)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
If the phone had only dialed the last number called, or one in memory then I would suggest you get another piece of hardware. Electronics can flake out. but dialing real number which are not in it's memory is not at all likely.

You should still consider doing that.
You should also get your phone number changed.

You may be the victim of a phone freaker.
They like to hack with the phone. You could get a phone bill for many thousands of dollars if that is the case.

I worked for a car dealer once where I accidentally picked up a call between a mob boss and a Carribien Banker. It almost got me killed.
The point is that major criminals like to route calls through other phone numbers to become invisible. And you end up looking like a criminal.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I presume this is a cordless phone so I know its a long shot, but, you could have a neighbor who has a similar model phone, which when conditions are right annoys yours
A friend of mine had a remote key fob for his car and on the way back to his car, pressed it and both his car and another car flashed and chirped. According to the manufacturers of his car alarm, the possibility was in the millions.

As Terry Prathcett wrote "Everyone knows that one in a million chances happen nine times out of ten"

[edit on 7-5-2008 by Mark Roazhar]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
It is possible that your phone in picking up a signal from a similar phone nearby......if you can afford to, buy another phone and get an entirely different model and brand.

I'd go ahead and call the phone company and tell them about this problem.....and also the manufacturer of your phone. At least it would be interesting to see what they say.

With the other 'crosstalk' prob, you may be near a strong source of wireless radio traffic......my Dad lived near the railroad and would get interference on TV from the rr crews and their 'walkie talkies' when they were working directly behind his house. If it's something like that, it might account for both problems.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by frayed1]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
thanks everyone, I will probably get a new phone. Weird thing is now it doesn't do it but only when I have it. Happened about 5 times so far. Could it be something to do with me or am I paranoid?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I had a similar problem in California ... after the phone company put line tracers on my phones - they located the problem - when the contractor built the Apartments I was living in... they saved money by running CAT5 instead of CAT 3 cable... they tied 4 apartments (quadplex) using one Cat5 wire unshielded.

new topics

top topics

join