It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A star formation I don't recognize

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hi all, I have recently noticed...in the last month, a star formation I don't recognize. It looks like a bigger version of Orion's belt. I live in Vancouver, B.C. and it is quite noticeable say at 10:00pm PST located in the western sky approximately(and im guessing here) 45 to 50 degrees off the horizon.

The first star on the left goes from red to orange and then yellow while the other 2 stars (smaller) are the usual blue/white color. I have always been fascinated at looking at the stars since I was little and always seemed to prefer Orion over all of the other constellations which is why I noticed this one in particular but I have NEVER noticed it before last month (which I find very strange). Would anyone have any idea what I am seeing? I know it is most likely a planet that is aligned in the sky with the stars to look like a giant belt of Orion but still I would be interested for anyones expertise and explaining this one to me.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I've seen and wondered this too.

I've been out and had a butchers, maybe it's part of the Leo constellation?

It's a bit too cloudy to tell for sure.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Do you have Stellarium?
If not, it sounds like you absolutely need to get it.
It's free of charge and really wonderful - and it may help you identify it.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Great, thank you! I'll give it a try.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
OK that is the COOLEST piece of software I have ever seen!!!! awesome and THANK YOU.

I discovered the formation I was looking at was Pollux and Castor of the Gemini constellation with Mars on the far left hand side.

Again thank you guys for your help and for that great software.....forget google sky.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Hey, I am glad you liked it!

It is cool, isn't it? :-)

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I also noticed this formation yesterday evening, and it is unknown to me too. I have never seen it before. And I agree, it looks like a bigger version of Orion's belt. I sure hope someone here at ATS can identify it. (Internos, I hope you are on this case already..?)

Thanks for starting this thread, QBsneak000! Star and flag from me.

Edit to add:

Ops, I was too late with my comment. How strange, the last couple of posts wasn't visible in this thread when I visited it just a few moments ago. Some bug or glitch perhaps. Anyway, glad the mystery is solved.

Best regards from Ziggystar60.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by ziggystar60]

[edit on 9-5-2008 by ziggystar60]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Eh, time is relative... so no comment can be "too late". :-)

Anyway, I hope you use Stellarium, too.
I think you'll like it.
(And no, I am NOT associated with its makers.
)

new topics

top topics

join