It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body-language and believablity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I no longer watch network news broadcasts due to the suggestive nature of their body language. not only do they tell you the news headline but they suggest to you how you should feel and react to it by the subtle hints in their body language. Does anyone else notice this? does it make you feel like they are trying to persuade you into feeling a certian way?

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Emotions. Thats the price we pay for not having robots read the news. They are also suggestive in their tone of voice, ie when a baby is murdered vs. a happy ending sap story.
Have you tried the Daily Show s/Jon Stewart? Now that's quality news casting.
P.S. Don't read the newspaper!

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yes, I have totally noticed the arrogance that most american news anchors impose on us. Another reason why I don't watch the
that they broadcast on mainstream media.

one particular body language thingie that I particularly hate is when they start nodding their heads when asking a question to someone they are interviewing. It's basically like they're saying "don't forget what my producer went over with you in rehearsal. stay in the lines, etc"

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Close your eyes and listen to the words. Ignore the inflections in their voice. They can't subliminally affect you if you don't let them.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Come on you guys, the television news is for people that cant read for themselves,or aren't smart enough to figure out a computer.
That said, It is scary how many people watch the T.V.

It is amazing in the United States how many people are stupid yet still cling to their rights like their owed,not earned.
If you are too dumb to figure out that you can read the whole paper(or papers) and not just what the T.V. decides to read for you, too bad for you. Unfortunately nowadays the stupid are overpopulating the un-stupid.

We are living in the end of times(not just biblcally..lol) but as we know it. This place( America) is done. There are far too many mexican illegals.

Open challenge to any mexican illegal to respond......just as i said above,the stupid cant work a computer.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
They may try to persuade you with body language and voice tone, but they will not succeed unless you let them.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Ok... what about Naked News? (lol)

Is that a way to... subliminaly turn you into pervs?

Or are people that watch that already aware they are pervs?

Now that's some body language lol...

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
people do not earn rights! they give them up.

the news is partly to blame, but it was peoples fault (well somewhat) in the first place, giving more precedence to movies and tv, and making the news unprofitable in comparison.

people are lazy when it comes to this stuff and why not? its a naturalnot to be rotten to the core, and a natural reaction to turn away from the unpleasant.

the worst thing that can be done is for things to be made more complicated than what is understandable. liars have the advantage unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Brilliant subject and one that deserves to be looked into.

I hope to have a more in depth look at this later...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuTroll
people do not earn rights! they give them up.

Absolutely! There's a fundamental difference between a right and a privilege. A right is inate-- you have it because of who you are.

A priviledge is something that is earned. It's usually associated with a license or test.

Voting is a right. Driving is a privilege.

But back on topic. News achors are trained to elicit emotion in people to further the point they want to communicate. It's simple NLP. It's really their duty to communicate a point as quickly and effectively as they possibly can. To do so, they use "tricks" like voice inflection and gesturing.

It's up to you to decide whether you agree with their point.

I think the bigger issue here is whether news can be reported without opinion, and it's my opinion, that it can't.

From the first time an event happens, a human's opinion interferes with the reporting of the truth.

Let's say you are a reporter that witnesses an event. Your opinion affects how you see the world, and thus, what facts you note about that event. Then your opinions affect what you choose to write down about the event. Then perhaps your column goes to an editor, who edits based on THEIR opinions...it's unavoidable.

The problem isn't that reporter communicate with emotion-- it's that people don't think critically and choose to believe everything they hear on TV.

top topics

join