It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Secretly Goes To War With The Internet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

That was great!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ATS MEMBERS?????

This is the main focus. Are the gulags for us?

HAHAHAHA!!!

ATS members? - compared to the damage I have done

Edit: I have said too much!

Common seriously everyone knows that the internet will grow - just try to grow with it, try to figure out the BS before you get dragged into it

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
As many erudite and experienced people here, I would have expected a slightly different range of comments.

Many IT Pros know that 'cyber-attacks' are an irrelevancy in a system that is not exposed to the 'common trunk' of the internet. NSA has known this since before there even was an internet. They have never been 'hacked' because they have never been 'on-line' to get hacked. Yet somehow they function. Is it magic? No.

The Pentagon and other such government agencies are exposed because they prefer to foster 'business' by purchasing and installing the standard crap networking and networking 'services adminstration' as 'contracted' by the lowest bidder. Defense contractors are the REASON we are weak, they have no interest in installing a rock-solid system that wouldn't require constant babysitting. And the procurement types have no incentive to demand that the systems they purchase and the services they contract comply with the 'spirit' of the RFQ.

China's ability (or any other countries you can imagine) to 'hack' into our systems has nothing to do with some magical strategy or genius of hacking; it has to do with general incompetence at the level of the professionals managing the security of the network.

Anyone remotely familiar with the evolution of computer hardware and a fundamental knowledge of machine code can tell you, there is no such thing as a commercially available 'hack proof' system. Unless the systems hardware is custom designed and isolated from the data stream - it is possible to hack in and will probably fall prey to any motivated hacker who understands the concept of 'stack overflow' and error handling protocols.

This 'internet' bogeyman is one of those infuriating 'shadowy ill-defined' enemies created by those who have NO understanding of internet security. I can't believe that security experts can sit there with a straight face and operate on the principle that our most sensitive information and crucial computer support simply must be Windows/Cisco compliant! Even Novel would be a better choice (but not by much) if you want to hamstring the hackers that are out there.

This is NOT the rocket science that the talking heads want you to think it is (maybe it is to them, but then, they are just 'actors' following a script.)

I offer this analogy for those of you who will insist that this is a real threat. I have a cool looking car, she's beautiful, shiny and has lot's of desirable features. "It's gonna get stolen!" you say, better lock it up, put in an alarm, get guard dogs, hire some thugs to watch it..., maybe... but...

What if that car had a custom installed manual transmission with 9 forward and 4 reverse gears. How would you drive away with such a car if you can't make it go? What if it required a set of 3 keys to operate, each sequentially linked to a custom profile?

Get it? It's not our systems that are vulnerable, it's the platform they 'choose' to employ. Why the hell should the Pentagon's classified systems be linked to the internet? You think the Generals want to work from home? Isolate the system and you only have to worry about PHYSICAL security.

But then, what would you use as an excuse to repress internet communications?

BINGO!You sir have just made the Pentagons arguement invalid.Now take this arguement to your reps in Congress and for that matter everywhere around the world.You know what i do when i want peace and quiet?I unplug my internet from my computer.Hacking problem solved.Hell i can set up my own internet if i so choose to do since thats all the net is, one big LAN network that spans the globe.As Maxmars said its not rocket science or hard to figure out.Kudos to you Max.Leave it up to the people to figure out problems!More proof govt becoming obsolete?Time will tell.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

that is correct get our sensitive stuff off the internet and into its own network. a second internet I guess. Good post and its to easy of an answer to actually be considered

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
What's you take on this? I was in Paltalk, a Canadian room of regulars, a regular user room. I was sharing my insight on the real reason we are in Iraq. The hunt for the Deck of cards was vital as a fact finding mission to reverse engineer causes to the gulf war syndrome. Few know that iraq spend moe money on medical research then all the superpowers COMBINED in the decade prior to the 80's. As such they probally have the most potent bio-chemical arsenal in the world. The deck of cards, senior inteligence officers and Dr Germ would be vital if they are to find the answeres the Gov. is looking for. CNN notes they were to blood test the families of GWS vets.,,, hmmm. Search mycoplasmas. While sharing this info an american barges in the room and takes over the mic, spouting of the reason was for oil blah blah blah,,,, . I mentioned then why go in with a surgical strike force of special ops, 110,000 strong to extract 52 people. What the actual invasion did shed alotta light on the motive behind. If they wanted a secure oil supply or to establish a democratic gov, all the generals stated it would take 500,000 troops! The room has not been online since. Gws is real,, and any powder floating around that is harmless,, in the world of analytical science either chemical or biological,, may not be harmless, rather just an unknown.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Do you guys just not read the whole thread or something? Ive already said that all the classified stuff IS ALREADY ON ITS OWN NETWORK!

I know the gov't can be pretty slack sometimes, but most people do not give enough credit. The gov't may be dumb, but they are not stupid.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Remember of the PNAC's opening objectives for the 21st Century?

"CONTROL THE NEW “INTERNATIONAL COMMONS” OF SPACE AND “CYBERSPACE..."

Just another obstacle for the Bush Admin in eroding civil rights and liberties...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join