It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Secretly Goes To War With The Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Pentagon Secretly Goes To War With The Internet

www.infowars.com

The Pentagon is to spend $30 Billion building a super secret "National Cyber Range" in order to prepare for all out cyber warfare by using it to conduct mock online battles with realistic info-warriors.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), previously responsible for the development of electronic surveillance programs such as Total Information Awareness and MATRIX, LifeLog and the Brain Machine Interfaces enterprise, has been ordered by Congress to create what is essentially a new internet as a cyberspace battleground.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Indeed, I do believe that this has alarming undertones after the "Internet should be treated as an enemy weapons system" statement...As usual, a little bit of thought free of propaganda can tell us EXACTLY what this is designed to do, and who it's primary targets will be...Any takers?

Could this be the Pentagon’s ultimate "solution" to counter the internet, an arena of freedom and progress that military strategists now view as a bastard child they let slip from their grasp some twenty or so years ago?

While Homeland Security head Chertoff has denied that the project is part of a vast effort to restrict or "sit on the internet", the Pentagon has previously made it clear that the internet, free of restriction and holding such potential for free speech, is in direct opposition to their goals.

The Pentagon has stressed that the internet needs to be dealt with as if it were an enemy "weapons system".

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well I say "mean" things against the gov just about every day, I have no doubt that puts me squarely in their sights as a cyber terrorist.

Guilty as charged.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
this is insane.

Yesterday some old guy said the new world order was coming, so one of the first things they had to do they didnt predict was control the internet and take it over.

wow, talk about coincidence?

He didnt tell me anything I didnt know, but funny timing.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
THe op link is broke.

I'm not following the premise here.

Why does the pentagon feel the internet is the enemy?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuebor

Because they have very little control over it and that makes them feel weak and threatened. The status quo will definitely be changing and it will not be for the good of all. I can see a situation in the not so distant future where the government will decide who does, and who does not recieve internet access. How do you suppose vocal members of the political forums here at ATS will fare? I'm thinking not so good.....

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuebor

Thanks for the 411---Link is fixed...Check out the following thread from a few months ago to see WHY they view the net as the enemy:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In short--The net is the ONLY place where people can go to get FACTUAL (non-propagandized) news and information...This does not bode well for TPTB who's agendas of endless wars and profiteering count on "filtered" and propagandized news and data being the ONLY version they want being broadcast to the masses. The net is also concurrently the largest area of DISSENT against these agendas due to the ACTUAL nature and scope of these realities, and not the brainwashed versions.

Once they control the flow of news, data, and dissent there, they have TOTAL control, and the ability to "shape the directional flow" of info, and in turn, brainwash the masses with complete impunity.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well it just goes to show they are losing the battle on the internet. Keep up the good work everyone!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tuebor

Perhaps it is because of the hundreds of attacks they receive per week from foreign countries attempting to penetrate their computer systems.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Aha. Hahaha. Oh. OH ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

They will never win, once the anger kicks in, and the hatered, for those who strive good and peace, these demonics will be destroyed for they cannot destroy us all.

Amen.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I looked at the picture of Dimensional Detective and this sense of amazement came over me. I mean "cyber warfare by using it to conduct mock online battles with realistic info. warriors" that is so Formlessness1999 from my point of view. About 6 or 7 similarities that are dead on , what he said about eminem putting him or people in the matrix. Did he sign up before me and post because that would make this seemly completely impossible. I felt I was under surveilance or somehow connected but I wrote my post in about 2 weeks ago and was deliberatin for 8 or 9 days to put it online in my house I am the only person who came into contact with it , physically. This is a conspiracy within itself I am sorry to say I cant help internalizing sometimes out of habit or with 2 or 3 different meanings of english words I could be taking this way out of context . I could be looking for too much too much or parts of this could all be very real. The internet an enemys weapon system, of freedom of speech or unbiased infomation or do you mean all the terrorists who attack with viruses steal info. or that thing in die hard 4, blackout or something. Sorry I forgot that people would be reading this and just thought it might make sense.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by P. O. W.]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I completely support the government, and the Pentagon in particular, in this endeavor. Do you know how many times on a DAILY basis our computer systems are hacked or attacked or penetrated in some way? And when you consider that the main culprit is agents of Communist China, it is extremely alarming.

We need to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to changes in warfare. In the future, wars may be won or lost based on one side's ability to protect their computer and electronic infrastructure from attack.

Furthermore, classified information can easily be obtained through hacking government and military computers over the internet. Why wouldn't we want to take every appropriate measure to prevent this? Especially when TEENAGERS have shown the ability to hack into classified government files in the past. If a self-taught kid can do that, imagine what a well-funded government or military can do.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to take such measures. Just as in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about enemies shooting our satellites out of space. But we do not live in a perfect world, and I for one am not willing to cry over our government defending this nation's computer systems. I am glad they are doing it, and I can only hope that we are able to foil such attacks and incursions in the future by our enemies and supposed allies alike.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

and how do you know that what you read on the net is factual ?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
I completely support the government, and the Pentagon in particular, in this endeavor. Do you know how many times on a DAILY basis our computer systems are hacked or attacked or penetrated in some way? And when you consider that the main culprit is agents of Communist China, it is extremely alarming.

We need to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to changes in warfare. In the future, wars may be won or lost based on one side's ability to protect their computer and electronic infrastructure from attack.

Furthermore, classified information can easily be obtained through hacking government and military computers over the internet. Why wouldn't we want to take every appropriate measure to prevent this? Especially when TEENAGERS have shown the ability to hack into classified government files in the past. If a self-taught kid can do that, imagine what a well-funded government or military can do.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to take such measures. Just as in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about enemies shooting our satellites out of space. But we do not live in a perfect world, and I for one am not willing to cry over our government defending this nation's computer systems. I am glad they are doing it, and I can only hope that we are able to foil such attacks and incursions in the future by our enemies and supposed allies alike.

If someone is "hacking" computers in your organization (be it military or private) on a "daily basis", the very first thing you do is FIRE YOUR NETWORK GUYS. Then, you hire competent people.

Second, what the hell is classified material doing on a network that is, BY ITS VERY DEFINITION PUBLIC? Third, why aren't those people who are putting classified documents on public networks ever prosecuted?

This is a CLASSIC example of double-think. If they cannot even keep people out of THEIR OWN systems, how in God's name can you expect them to keep them out of anyone else's systems? If your neighborhood mechanic can't even keep his own cars operating, would you go running to him to have your car fixed?

You are either a paid dis-info agent, or entirely ignorant on how the internet and network security actually works. Which is it?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

This is the same sort of response that the government wants the citizens to have over each freedom they take away. Or more surveillance or control they put onto us.
They wants us to think like you, nodding assuringly with pride, because we think it is for our own good.. Thankful that our government would go so out of their way like this to protect us.

[sarcasm] Good thing our government has our best interest in mind with every new way they find to price gauge us, and put new surveillance over our lives. [/sarcasm]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO ATS MEMBERS?????

This is the main focus. Are the gulags for us?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Trust me, ATS members aren't of their major concern. They are mostly afraid of Anonymous, and they should be. If they try to "wage war with the Internet", they're going to need the equivalent of an "Internet Nuclear Bomb" to even damage Anonymous.

I don't understand what the point of that is, though. Could they not just take down the Internet entirely and install The Grid, regulations and all? Or are they afraid that might bring up a real-world rebellion scenario? Who knows what these people think anymore.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I agree that there will be some sort of monitoring side to this over the masses,

but also in the back of mind are the recent online attacks from China, I believe India is currently undergoing one right now.

This in my mind is a defense system, something to test and monitor attacks.

Looking at it, communications, banking, trade, transport... yadda yadda rely on the internet some how.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I agree that there will be some sort of monitoring side to this over the masses,

but also in the back of mind are the recent online attacks from China, I believe India is currently undergoing one right now.

This in my mind is a defense system, something to test and monitor attacks.

Looking at it, communications, banking, trade, transport... yadda yadda rely on the internet some how.

What if the attacks from China were "set up" deliberately as problem-reaction-solution to regain control over the Net?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
One only needs to look at the ruckus created a few months ago over editing on wiki-pedia. If i remember correctly the CIA was altering information on the site in order to suit their agenda. Even the Australian government came into the firing line, accused of editing several political based links. As it has been said before here, how do we know what we read on the net is the truth? Millions of people rely on sites like WIKI-pedia to obtain information...information that has been distorted. In my view this cyber-war of sorts has been going on for a while. How do we know that there aren't plants on this site trying to distort our views?? In the end it all comes down to individual discernment...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join