It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A small, friendly reminder about one-liners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
As I read some of the posts I have come to see that there are a lot of members who do not understand the concept of one liners. One liners are not simply one sentence in a post. One liners are one sentence posts that do not add to the discussion. They can be a misleading joke, utter nonsense, or a off topic post; or just some smileys and other characters.

A one sentence post which adds to the discussion; a short, informative and concise post is not a one liner, and is acceptable.

Thank you for attention,

Bandit

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
For more info, please review this link.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
hey - how about renaming the ` one liner warning ` to something else ?

like the " lacks usefull contribution warning " ?

that way - it elimates the confusuion - and allows people who can condense a usefull reply into the 90 character or less to do so with out fear .

while allowing the mods to chastise those who pad posts and post multiple lines which do nothing to adsvance the topic at hand

i am not privy to the behind the scense moderation - but i assume that after recieving a ` oneliner warning ` for a post that served no usefull purpose - more than one member has complained using the defence that they posted 60 words on 3 lines , so it was not a one liner post

now if you told them it was a ` no usefull contribition ` offence - they might accept it better

i am not going to point at any invividual members - but i loose track of the number of times members have posted a single line of text - which made perfect sense , advanced / contribited to the discussion and conformed to the T&C - but then - needlesly ` padded the post ` with additional fluff - because they incorrectly feared that the single line owould contravene the one liner rule

as long as the one line rule is called the one line rule - people will obsese over the number of characters in thier post - rather than what they are saying

because sometimes less is moore

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I so agree.
Is it a space issue or a content issue?
That was all I wanted to say but is that one line?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I'd say it's more likely about stopping people from giving into sillyness and treating ATS like they should.

In that, it's a serious peice of work made for the explicit purpose of furthering serious speculation.

Naturally, a bit of humour on the side is allowed, but not to the extent of which an entire post is made for the explicit purpose of making a joke.

That's what BTS is for, i believe.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
OK
Ha! I'm a rebel.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Seems to me like the one line post rule is in effect so as to allow ATS' management to claim "X amount of unique, substantial user generated content".

Someone saying "lol" is a waste of time, and will detract from that advertising statistic.

Fair rule, but sometimes a short pithy pun or "one liner" can put across a concept far better than a long rant.

I would agree with the renaming of this rule to "Post lacks substance", "pointless contribution" or something similar.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I just never understand why some people jsut show up to drop a lame 'one liner' then bounce. I was a reader for about 3 months before I posted, and can say that most ATSers add a little something, even in a one liner. It's the 5% rule I guess?

-Cuauhtemoc

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

See... this post was a one-liner.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Don't want to stir the pot, but. It seems a lot of mods post one liners on a regular basis. Why is that acceptable? I am hoping that this "friendly warning" is to apply to everyone on the site, not just members.
I must admit, they are an annoying part of a conversation. They seem to come across as childish as "I know you are but what am I".

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Because we mods understand what the difference is between a one-liner and a post which adds to the discussion.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Not really clear on the one liner thing... Is that in the dictionary?

Do you mean rude sarcasm?

What about 3 lines of nonsense that contribute absolutely nothing to the topic?

Im kidding im kidding.

Sir yes Sir, point taken.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

I think this should be sent out as mass u2u once a week until people understand the rule.

You really only look silly when you put this is my second line or any other variation of it.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
ATS is not twitter.

I am so sick of reading one line posts with the added phrase (not a one liner) stuck below it to try and circumvent the rule.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't know of any other boards that enforce this facile rule.

Ten lines of meaningless drivel good, one line of meaningless drivel bad.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

No. Drivel is drivel. One line that adds to a topic isn't a problem, banality is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the end of my post. This is just to show that a 1 line CAN contribute and isn't a problem. It's useless jargon that isn't allowed. I hope that helped.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
And I'd also like to add (because this keeps happening) posts that boil down to...

'I agree!
This is not a 1-line post'

...can still be considered a one line post because it's still the spirit of a one liner as in an 'I agree' or '
' post.

Adding in a 'this is not a one liner' disclaimer doesn't help. As Intrepid said, it's not so much the length but the content. Sometimes less is more and you can say it all with a one sentence post that is 100% useful and on topic. Other times one can write a mini novel as a post and it will still be off topic 'drivel.'

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by Retseh

No. Drivel is drivel. One line that adds to a topic isn't a problem, banality is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the end of my post. This is just to show that a 1 line CAN contribute and isn't a problem. It's useless jargon that isn't allowed. I hope that helped.

Exactly, so why not have a rule which states that meaningless posts will be deleted regardless of length instead of only applying that judgement call to posts of a limited length?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

We do. I'm sure you've seen this graphic:

I'm not seeing your issue here.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

I adhere to the rule, always.

Second line.

new topics

top topics