It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV video shows Philly officers kicking, hitting 3 suspects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

TV video shows Philly officers kicking, hitting 3 suspects

news.yahoo.com

"On the surface it certainly does not look good in terms of the amount of force that was used," Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said. "But we don't want to rush to judgment."
The video, shot by WTXF-TV, shows three police cars stopping a car Monday, two days after a city officer was shot to death responding to a bank robbery.

The tape shows about a dozen officers gathering around the vehicle. About a half-dozen officers hold two of the men on the ground. Both are kicked repeatedly, while one is seen being punched; one also appears to be struck with a baton.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Now imagine if they were Giant's fans. Now really people, is this the way we want our PEACE officers acting. I used to detest these threads, but now I know why people are sick of the police.
link to video

USnews.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find a video link for this, just that same photo....

edit to credit verylowfrequency for video link

[edit on 6-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

A fellow PEACE OFFICER is supposedly shot by these dirt bags.

And the problem is?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

I am trying for CHP right now, man. When a fellow Marine raped a girl in Okinawa, I wouldn't stand up for him either. I hate those that throw themselves into one polar camp or the other. How about we hold those we trust so much, accountable. What if I had been in that car, and had nothing to do with it? C'mon, there was a NEWS CHOPPER there!!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Run from the POlice at high rate of speed endangering them and jq public and that is often the end result. Adrenalin is a funny thing. Makes you want to pound the snookers out of somebody who endangered you getting back to your kids end of shift.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I was an auxilliary deputy for 5 years in a small town in Kansas. Its one thing to subdue a suspect and cuff him. Sometimes it takes a bit more force than others would like. However, what makes me sick are the LEO's who think punitive punishment of a cuffed suspect is perfectly acceptable. Calous officers are hardly ever taken off the force in most major cities. I'm not sure how to fix the problem, but it needs to be!

Zindo

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Video Link of Beating

Link to MyFox Philadelphia story - that includes several videos

One part of me understands how the cops get out of hand in situations like this and therefore I understand their imperfections and the fact they are human. No, doubt their adrenaline is running high and they need some kind of physical release before they can begin to settle down. Maybe we need to study what causes this gangster mentality that results in this behavior at the end of a chase and then we can figure out a way to remove that lust for hurting others.

However if they were trained properly to withhold their emotions when dealing with these types of situations along with being accountable for their actions we would no doubt see less of this type of abuse of human beings going on. It is not their place to act as judge, jury and deliverers of pain and punishment.

Otherwise we might as well quit paying for courts and prisons and just let the cops beat the hell out of people or kill them - Like Judge Dredd.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Judge Dred Lives!!!!!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I can completely understand their anger at these type of offenders. However, this was a case of someone shooting a cop, and then dropping the gun with his hands up. That would equal a good beating, not this. I would hate to be some third party who got beat up for nothing.

I support local PD.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
A fellow PEACE OFFICER is supposedly shot by these dirt bags.

And the problem is?

The problem is that these "dirt bags" were not the ones who shot the PEACE OFFICER.

Comprende?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Just got a look at this on the news.

According to the Philly PD, their officers were "high strung" recently as a fellow badge was murdered.

Nevertheless, the amount of force being applied is far too extreme to be justified in a case where the cops weren't even sure of the suspects or exactly what felony they had committed (if any).

The attorney put it well:

"We don't take into consideration the emotions of police officers when it comes to the discharge of their duties. ... Your emotional state, being tired, doesn't justify what's on that video,"

When you sign up to be a badge, you accept your going to have to share you time and patience with every bad person and ugly event on the streets. If you can't handle that you shouldn't be a cop, simply put.

Loosing a friend is bad, but it doesn't give you the right to beat 5 shades of sh*t out of a random guy. If everyone voiced their angst physically we'd be living in anarchy.

Cops learn to deal with stress and frustration and release it appropriately, and only use force when the situation calls for it.
Not just treat some guy who might be acting a little bit suspicious as you would a crocodile.

"But we don't want to rush to judgment."

Lol, wait until the Ambulance Chasers roll in buddy...

This stuff has happened before, Rodney King, the LA Rampart Division, Amadou Diallo, etc... nothing new here.
Cops overreacting and stepping over the line of justifiable self-defense in the field of duty.
Hopefully some real justice happens here though.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Perhaps it's just a matter of education. Chris Rock has turned out a very informative video on the topic...

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

I couldn't agree more. I have a lot of respect for LEOs, but not a single thing can be said to defend their actions.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
LIVE (4:40 P.M.): Press Conference On Manhunt, Beating

15 officers have been taken off the street as the investigation continues.

WTXF Fox Philadelphia
Philadelphia Police Officers Removed After Taped Beating
Ramsey on Taped Police Beating: 'I'm Disappointed'

Fifteen Philadelphia police officers have been taken off the street as authorities investigate a video showing the suspects being kicked and beaten by city police.

Philadelphia police commissioner Charles Ramsey told Fox 29 earlier on Wednesday that two supervisors would be among that group of officers.

It appears at this point that the leaders in Philadelphia are taking this seriously and are not happy with what's going on. Unlike what we've seen in the past in most big cities (like LA) where they seem to stand behind LEO's who display this type of behavior.

However it does appear that the 3 suspects that were beaten were coming from a shooting that undercover drug officers witnessed.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

And that sucks. But like I said before, what if your boys just picked you up, and you get pulled over and beaten, blind to the knowledge of earlier events. There is a line of professionalism that must be drawn. Kudos to the philly mayor.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Once when I was working as an ICU nurse, we had some ganster that had been admitted as a "gunshot wound". He beat the crap out of his nurse (who was 5 months pregnant). She had to go downstairs to the ER, lost the baby and several months off work recovering. While they were wheeling her out (and security was restraining him), he was re-assigned to be my patient.
She was (is) a friend of mine. We had to work short-staffed because she was out of commission. This woman-beating SHPOS got professional nursing care anyway. I could have made his stay in ICU a living hell (and a few of my colleagues suggested I do so) but that is not the job. I took good care of him, treating him as I would any patient, and when I got off my shift would go see my friend in her hospital bed.
I don't see a difference in professional requirements of cops. They are not the judge and jury. Their job is to fill out the dam* report, use NECESSARY (not unnecessary) force to restrain the SUSPECT (not yet a guilty or convicted citizen). This story is over the top and cops wonder why they get no respect. They need to remember that a beaten dog will only cower for so long before chewing out the throat of its abusive master. For their own safety, cops need to learn a little impulse control, while they still have both jugulars intact.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The thing that I don't like about posts like this is the implication that all cops are bad and only sometimes they get caught on video.

You never see posts where police officers act with true professionalism. That's not video that anyone wants to watch.

But when officers are caught using excessive force suddenly it's all over the web.

I'm not trying to defend their actions. I think that the police involved need to be reviewed by both the police force internal investigations and a civilian board.
If punishment is warranted, it should be given.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
just more propaganda (not fake) to instill more hatred and divide between people / races to further chaotic rioting in the future...

all by design.

to make America SO chaotic.. eventually... that NAU and one world governance / UN peacekeeping is the ONLY solution people will BEG for.

this goes hand in hand with the recent Sharpton arrest.

-

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I equate a lot of this to the current war in Iraq. You never hear a lot of the good things that these LEOs do, just like you never hear about the playgrounds, schools and hospitals that Marines build. You never hear about the times cops made EXCELLENT judgement calls, only the bad ones. The same goes for troops who go off pissed and half cocked, firing wildly into crowds. The main difference between the two is, rarely do our troops have as much "control " on their side. They are under fire while returning fire, and possibly under the greatest stress imaginable. Yet we still hold these troops responsible. So why not hold our police, who again, have much more control over the situation than our troops do, to an even higher standard. I am all for vigilante justice if I can do the same to defend my family. Don't come arresting me for the same idiotic things cops do. Like speeding, lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join