It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Greed' Behind Food Price Rises: Development Bank Head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

'Greed' Behind Food Price Rises: Development Bank Head

www.rawstory.com

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The food price crisis is caused largely by greed and speculation rather than food shortages, the head of Southern Africa's development bank said on Tuesday.

Spiraling food costs -- called a "silent tsunami" by the World Food Program -- have ignited fury and a rash of protests from Haiti to Somalia to Bangladesh. Exporting countries have curbed shipments to ensure domestic supplies and tame inflation.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Again, that ever-familiar feeling of de ja vu washes over me...Is it just me, or can these two areas--GREED and SPECULATION--not also be applicable to the other crisis that is creating so much turmoil in modern times>The OIL INDUSTRY? Does anyone see a pattern here? Who are these "speculators" and gross profiteers that are holding us all hostage?

"These increases in food prices are not the consequence of food shortages, it's the consequence of human greed that is putting at risk the lives of millions of men, women and children," Jay Naidoo told Reuters.

"There are companies that are making super profits on this issue."

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

MBF

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I've said this all along. The price of food in the stores is way out of line with the prices paid to the farmers. It is nothing but pure price gouging.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have a thread discussing this issue here www.abovetopsecret.com...

It shows how companies like Monsanto are making record profits while the rest of the world starves to death. Corporate greed, where would we be without it.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

It's almost STUNNING how out in the open, in-our-faces this type of suppressional profiteering and GROTESQUE greed-mongering is! People are suffering--Both physically and financially, while these people are literally raping and pillaging the poor and middle classes!

Disgusting.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This is what we get for accepting and playing THEIR game, by THEIR rules. The people seem to enjoy this crap. Otherwise, you'd think they would protest and put an end to it. But no.

Everyday on ATS, I lose just a little more faith in humanity. The people will be oblivious and not give a crap about it until we are all dead.

new topics

top topics

join