It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The antivirus software conspiracy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I did a fresh install of my OS and had the network disconnected... I'm pretty sure I didn't have any spy ware on my computer, I install AVG and run a test to find out I have 64... I've thought this about the spy ware products as well... I'm sure you're right... Maybe time to move on to Linux?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I agree that the anti-virus companies attribute to some but not all viruses. Why not bump up your sales, if you can. I.E., Create a new virus, which you would have exclusive access to prevent because you created it. Its really an ingenious scheme that people can do nothing about. So why not do it? If you don't like it, go download AVG for free and use it. Then you won't be contributing money to the bastards.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

Well most spyware considers a clean Microsoft install full of exploits , but it's nothing outrageously nefarious in itself.

Though I've seen allot of spyware (Not AVG) that is just junk and in itself worse than a virus infected computer because it eats up so many resources.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Not too eager to stop viruses from spreading

I wouldn't expect anti-virus companies to be too eager to stop viruses from spreading.

But what about the Governments? Is it true that virus writing is actually legal in most countries?

Here´s a University actively encouraging it:

Virus-Writing Class Creates Stir

Will teaching college students how to write computer viruses make them better business-technology professionals? The University of Calgary says it will help.

A new course about viruses and malicious software on the fall schedule at the University of Calgary has drawn sharp criticism from some in the security field because it will teach students how to write harmful software.

Article

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Yea I have noticed that as well..... it rather common I think....
You just have to know what software to use to get rid of all of the spyware or what ever.

-fm

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
been floating around for a while, some articles are quite interesting.

in my youth i wrote a couple of viruses

Did you spread them too, or only write them?

Where does youth get the inspiration to write viruses? (mags, websites?)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Well, to me it is pretty obvious that anti-virus companies are releasing viruses; just go to one of their sites and do a fast free computer scan. Ten to one that a virus-warning will be flashed even before you load the scan-bot.
I have seen this a lot of times and have asked my friends also and they feel it is the same.
Even with renowned sites this happens.
At the moment I have nod32 installed on my XP and it seems to work best; compared to Norton and the rest that is.
Norton was the worst I have seen; it got viruses it didnt see everyday.

I am convinced that even Microsoft is spreading keyloggers and trojans and crap like that; they are so frequent with updates for the security of IE, it seems it is a trojan itself.
I dont think it is a conspiracy; I think it is common practice with virus-companies. Make a virus, spread it, create a new and improved virus killer and raise the prices and voila! There are your record sales!!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
I agree that the anti-virus companies attribute to some but not all viruses. Why not bump up your sales, if you can. I.E., Create a new virus, which you would have exclusive access to prevent because you created it. Its really an ingenious scheme that people can do nothing about. So why not do it? If you don't like it, go download AVG for free and use it. Then you won't be contributing money to the bastards.

I am sorry mate; I have downloaded AVG for free and have found that it doesnt stop a lot of viruses and adclickers and stuff. For me at the moment, NOD32 works best; I have a fixed one so it is free for me too. That one performs a lot better; especially in combination with Spybot-search-and-destroy.
Ofcourse it is always prudent to run a scan with crapcleaner or hijack this and such progs.
I would advise people to never run a "free spyware scan" on the internet. After a scan with one of those, you are bound to get a couple of traojans and such.
Just google 'fixed NOD32' if you cant afford to pay for it.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Hello All,

Not sure if i can post links here so you can Google the names.

Free Firewall-Zonealarm free

Best Browser-FireFox or Opera,

If using FF go to Mozilla home and find the addons,search forAdblock plus FiltersetG updater and
install,search for No Script and install,they take a bit of getting used to but
they stop auto installs of flash and java script when you open a page,a
lot of malware is and can be written into Video and text,Know those big banner ads-Click here to win the whole internetz-they can have malware embedded in them...Got adblock-no ads...
As an aside search addons for Fasterfox,helps with speed on page load

Free AV-Nod32 or AVG
Free Anti-Spyware-Spybot Search and Destroy

I myself do not use an AV,only a firewall and Firefox with those extentions and had no problems in three years,

Also don't run "EXE's" or click links in unknown emails that promise you the world and some blue pills but will deliver you a desktop brick

Cheers

[edit for clarity...i hope]

[edit on 7-5-2008 by BlackViolet]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Though this wasn't aimed at me I can answer half. Yes some are on hacker websites because it's just natural for those who learn how to strip copy protections off of commercial software, so they take the next step by adding their code as a graffiti artist would tag his work. That's why people who download hacked music, movies, or games are often the first to get viruses - I've often wondered if those companies being hacked are putting out viruses as well.

I don't know today, but in the past many also hung out in the binaries of the newsgroups and would trade info there. Probably still do because it is safe and easier to become anonymous, by the way of third parties (like re mailers) who strip your IP headers and routes and forward your post.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

So its just like in real life...you hang around certain areas and get a virus. Interesting.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler
I dont think it is a conspiracy; I think it is common practice with virus-companies. Make a virus, spread it, create a new and improved virus killer and raise the prices and voila! There are your record sales!!

Well, then it is a conspiracy, even if its common practice.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I've actually wondered that in the beginning of the AV software craze that MAYBE some of the less scrupulous companies may have engaged in creating a demand for their product.

I doubt it happens anymore. If you take a look at an official list of virus' out in the wild, you'd know that 10's of thousands of individuals are creating them and not just a group of IT guys in a dozen or so companies.

The total number of viruses is expected to reach 1 million by 2009
www.networkworld.com...

So AV companies don't need to do any work creating malware when all those people are out there doing it for free for them without their help. You see it's more fun for them if they have to figure it out on their own without the help of the software companies.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Check out the article that my programmer friend wrote:

Viral Paradox

It's not so much that virus programs cause viruses as much as they are just useless altogether.

If you:
1. Don't use Internet Explorer
2. Don't download warez, pr0n, etc

Then there is no need for you to have anti-virus running.

The only people who get virii are the one who have no idea what they are doing to begin with (ie. "Click here to download free emoticons!")

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

It seems its gained the momentum needed for AV providers not to need to conspire (much) anymore.

And still...the suspicion lingers...who started it all.

Its the paradox of any business who´s sole source of income is peoples problems that they become dependent on the continuation of the problem.

But thats something not much talked about and not much thought about.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
well, you can always use a fully functional & totally free antivirus program like avast! Not to worry...

www.avast.com...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Its true that we no longer need to pay for expensive AV programs like norton and mcafee.

But remember how it was back in the day? When they shoved the stuff down the throats of gullible and worried consumers? They made billions back then.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

The one I hate is "Double click" I use MOZILLA that way I can control cookies using PRIVACY tab in options.

This stuff is just like radio you have to remember its not the NEWS it is an Advertizing Agency that uses NEWS as a hook.

Why can't you stop Double Click who puts it on and why can't they be stopped. Worst part is all sites put them on, or try.

Jim

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Here is where it started they were so called "Screen Savers" those were modified to come on while you were working. Like the Bouncing Ball.

Worst part it is only a few simple lines of code that makes them. Then there are the Hacker sites where they get the programs to do it. If you noticed they banned all confidential sites like Whisper Mail where we could stay away from public getting our data.

Its in all interest to keep us public and open to there advertising.

Also the lottery scams from Africa where it is a cottage industry why dont America cut off Internet acess to countries that will not manage there scam writers.

Its all Commercial..

Jim

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Its true that we no longer need to pay for expensive AV programs like norton and mcafee.

But remember how it was back in the day? When they shoved the stuff down the throats of gullible and worried consumers? They made billions back then.
oh yeah, bought both brands & something else; then there were those utilities aside from norton like ram doublers, 1st aid...I was one of those suckers.

a fool & his money were soon parted...

hey, could you use that law of attraction so I win the lottery?

on a totally unrelated note, why does david & goliath come to mind...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join