It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you read "The Last Unicorn"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You may love it or you may hate it, but I hear it was a MAJOR bestseller in the 1960s - and it's still selling well today. It's been translated into many languages. Furthermore, it was made into at least one animated film (with Mia Farrow in the lead role/voice). And it can be argued that it had a huge cultural impact, starting the "mainstream" interest in unicorns (they were, like, the "dinosaurs" of the pre-Spielbergian era...
)

Well... Its author is almost destitute.
And if you think he's some kind of drunk or junkie or just an airhead who threw all his money away... think again.

He is being robbed.

I would like to state quite clearly that I am in NO WAY associated to him - but I have had the good fortune of meeting him once, and so I can say, after meeting many interesting people around the world, he's got to be one of the noblest souls that I've ever met.

Which is why publishers all around the world seem to think that his rights can be trampled on, because he won't make a scandal - and the world couldn't care less...

Are they right?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Read it many years ago, and saw the movie when it first came out. Loved them both.

I'm very sorry to hear about his issues. I will certainly give some thought to buying a copy of the movie through those folks. More than that, I cannot do.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Thank you VERY MUCH, Seagull.
That is a lot more than many people have done.

P.S. Come to think of it, there IS another thing you can do...
Spread the word.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Sounds...
...kinky

Weather he's rich or poor, he would be taken advantage of. If he is who you say he is, than that warms my heart and soul.

I'd like to be a full fledged writer and everything, and I don't plan on having much, honestly. Also plan on attaining enlightenment.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

I wish you would know just how wonderful he is, Nyorai...
I could write some of it here, but it would sound too good to be true.
And I don't want to harm him by doing that.

But if you can find somebody who has met him, be sure to ask them.

And good luck with your writing!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Consider it spread.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Consider it spread.

Lovely!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I actually own the movie, and its more of a cult hit nowadays. This is too bad for him but money from one book and movie deal can only go so far, like you said its been since the 60's, now that you reminded me ill think ill watch it

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 23Eulogy23

Thanks on his behalf, I am sure, Eulogy.
And don't forget to spread the word. :-)

About his book... yes, it was a huge hit in the 1960s - but new editions keep coming out all the time. And not only in English - in other countries, too.
(I know there are at least three Russian editions, for example, and he hasn't received a single dime - OK, kopeika - of it.)

top topics

join