It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Teacher Accused of Wizardry - Loses Job!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by d. duck

Really well your the first baptist I have ever met, that doesn't think harry potter is from the devil. I have been to nearly every baptist church in NM, and those people are by far the most ignorant group of people I have ever met.

I'm glad you're not like that though, because it really pisses the kids off when they grow up and find out that harry potter was not worth getting spanked over.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
reply to post by d. duck

Really well your the first baptist I have ever met, that doesn't think harry potter is from the devil. I have been to nearly every baptist church in NM, and those people are by far the most ignorant group of people I have ever met.

I'm glad you're not like that though, because it really pisses the kids off when they grow up and find out that harry potter was not worth getting spanked over.

Perhaps you've just been hanging around the wrong Baptists. There are people of every belief system who can give others within that belief system a bad reputation.

Many of the folks I hang around with are highly educated (I hold 2 doctorates, one in ministry and the other in Ancient Near Eastern studies), articulate, and open-minded.

In fairness, I also know some folks who attend local Baptist churches that would be a bit more close-minded, perhaps more akin to what you are describing. They turn me off as well.

Just because I believe the Bible is true doesn't mean I turn a blind eye to other truths, nor does it mean I have it all figured out. I'm on a journey. It just so happens I have found a guide to help me on this journey. And He's pretty cool.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by d. duck

Well it's good to hear they are not all so close minded.

Maybe if I put it this way, all the Baptists I have met seem to be stuck in 1940.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ok...What is todays date in Florida? I think someone's old fashioned anti-anything I don't understand- fundamentalist dribble got in the way here and cause this level of stupid. Which is why we really need to keep religious dogma out of schools period.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
[edit on 7-5-2008 by thetruth777]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Atlease he wasn't dragged out of the school by an angry mob of braindead, brainwashed, roman catholic religious nuts & burnet at the stake...

I don't say this in gest either..!

I am Wiccan, as are many of my friends. And when it becomes known that you are what you are & in a predominantly christian region, Life becomes pretty hard.

I have heard that there are a few Christian Zealots out there with more than a little clout, whom are actually trying to make Wicca, Druidism & Paganism, illegal & punishable.

One hopes, that if it ever becomes a reality, that we do not slip back into the 1600's & have real live witch burnings on TV as entertainment..lol

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Maybe the principal was mayor Adam West from Family Guy.

I can hardly beleive this.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by d. duck
Wow. I'm a Baptist. In fact, I'm a Baptist pastor. I've read all the Harry Potter books and found them well written. But then, I enjoy most of ATS too, so...

It is amusing that the Baptists were called out as a denomination in this case. I went to a Baptist church for a number of years and didn't find a great deal of difference between that church, Protestant, Methodist, Presbyterian and some others. I guess it was a convenient stereotype to fling at the time. Baptist pastor is a hard road to go...is at 24/7 job, God bless ya. I don't read Harry Potter though. The undertones are light, but they're still there.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
Atlease he wasn't dragged out of the school by an angry mob of braindead, brainwashed, roman catholic religious nuts & burnet at the stake...

It's funny to hear Roman Catholics and Baptists being thrown into the same boat. It's like people can't agree on who to scapegoat

Originally posted by Ironclad
I am Wiccan

And a non-judgemental one at that eh?
In fairness to my friends who are Wiccan, they would not going around slinging slurs.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by saint4God]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Perhaps someone should go down to the school cafeteria during lunch;
all that food is disappearing too! More Wizardry no doubt!!!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ice Nine
Perhaps someone should go down to the school cafeteria during lunch;
all that food is disappearing too! More Wizardry no doubt!!!

I liked the yellow water joke better. Next comic please?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This is the problem with the whole school system here in Florida. My daughter says almost everyone in her 9th grade algebra class is failing and the teacher does not care. She has had a sub in another class for a month now because that teacher broke a hip and in there they just talk without any subject structure or tests. One of her classes has taught them everything for the state tests so they just play or listen to their mp3 players. The education system is in a sad state of affairs here. My city seemed to have a vision in 1984 when I moved here but now it can't see anything but higher taxes for nothing. All the roads are falling apart or ovar crowded and the people vote down a penny gas tax last year to improve them. I am moving us out of this state as soon as our house sells.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The worthless prejudice principal needs to be fired.

Religion and education are separate for this very reason, holier than thou folks that feel that it's their right to punish those that disagree with their concepts.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey
The worthless prejudice principal needs to be fired.

Always good to have an expert opinion from someone who was there and knows the situation inside and out. By the way, how long have you known the principle and substitute teacher?

Religion and education are separate for this very reason,

Notice the implied subtext that education cannot be found within religion which further leads to 'those who have beliefs are uneducated'.

holier than thou folks that feel that it's their right to punish those that disagree with their concepts.

Would you say they feel they have that right in the same way you have the right to judge them as 'holier than thou'?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

I called the baptists out in this case because I have alot of experience with how uptight they are when it comes to "magic tricks" or "harry potter". I have gotten swats for reading harry potter. I know of atleast 20 baptist churches in NM that have the same controlling ideas about these things.

Now other churches I was forced to go to that are not baptist, well lets just say they did not care about this kind of stuff nearly as much.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brothers
I can see the just born again Christians doing this. I knew one and the word is knew that said the same thing about almost anything having to do with slight of hand or things of that sort. Ofcourse he was from the South and talk about being brainwashed about all things. It got to the point that I don't see them any longer. I had to take valiums just to get over it. But thats me. Hopefully the school will see better. Hopefully.

Maybe people like that ought to watch one of those "Masked Magician" shows, the ones from the 90s where that magician was showing how various magic tricks are done.

Nah, they'd still think it was evil spirits or some other crazy # like that.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
I can see this thread is just another excuse to attack Christians. It really saddens me to see people display such hatred toward other human beings. Maybe we should all be rounded up and thrown into incinerators so as not to ruin all the God haters lives?

News flash: it's not about "hating god," so you can throw that little bit of brainwashing right out.

It's about religious extremists gaining so much control in the country, in the government that they actually become a threat to the whole system. It's not "just an excuse." The fact is, the fringe extremists have made things bad enough that I'm at the point where I wouldn't trust a one of you, unless it was someone I knew well enough to know wasn't part of the problem - and these days, it'd still be hard to be sure.

You don't want people "attacking xtians"? Clean up your own goddamned house first. Because your extremists are well on their way to turning this country into another theocracy. Last I checked, that didn't work out too well for Iran.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nightflyer28
The fact is, the fringe extremists have made things bad enough that I'm at the point where I wouldn't trust a one of you, unless it was someone I knew well enough to know wasn't part of the problem - and these days, it'd still be hard to be sure.

I am a Christian Extremist:

Extreme love
Extreme hope
Extreme joy
Extreme faith
Extreme compassion

These are the extremes that Christ spoke of. If this makes me worthy of being 'omitted' from this society one way or another, so be it.

You don't want people "attacking xtians"?

Doesn't matter to me. If one cannot stand an attack of the faith, how strong is that faith? It's good to have a 'faith-check' so that we understand what we believe and why.

Clean up your own ***d*mned house first.

Minus the cursing of God, this is somewhat similar to what Christ had taught many believers of the day in Matthew 7 (and other places). Indeed we should make sure our own house is in order before helping others model their own.

Because your extremists are well on their way to turning this country into another theocracy.

My 'law' is through God, not this nation. Fortunately for me it has higher standards than what the law of the land requires and is legal.

Last I checked, that didn't work out too well for Iran.

What religion dictates Iran?

[edit on 10-5-2008 by saint4God]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Haha.. hilarious, but this guy's pretty much SOL. Like the article says, as a substitute teacher and therefore an at-will employee. The school district really doesn't need a reason to get rid of him.

A lot of jobs in Texas are at-will. You people getting fired all the time when they're nearing retirement or women about to go on maternity leave. Stuff like that. It's pretty crappy.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join