It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria: Militants May Suspend Attacks After Obama's Plea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Nigeria: Militants May Suspend Attacks After Obama's Plea

allafrica.com

"The MEND command is seriously considering a temporary ceasefire appeal by Senator Barack Obama. Obama is someone we respect and hold in high esteem. The period of halting attacks, we hope, when considered, will afford the Nigerian government the opportunity to address the issues with Henry Okah,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Isn't THIS what we would like leaders from around the world to say about our President?

This would have NEVER have happened with a plea from Bush, McCain or Clinton!

And why? Because all they know how to do is THREATEN other countries with military action!

I would much rather see a President that can talk to the leaders around the world civilly and get results than another President that would just threaten them militarily IF they do something against US interests.

allafrica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/6/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Without taking sides pro or con Obama, I agree that thats pretty impressive and that we do need more people of diplomacy. True power vs. brute force.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
These are the people who attack Americans and we should be concerned with whether or not they respect the president?

I don't find this to be particularly reassuring.

Obama's ever increasing list of friends and supporters among America's enemies is a troublesome matter.

[edit on 2008/5/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
These are the people who attack Americans and we should be concerned with whether or not they respect the president?

I dont' find this to be particularly reassuring.

Getting an enemy to cease fire is not too bad.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This really doesn't do Obama any favors, to be honest. The man already has a mountain of troublesome patriotism issues as well as an ever growing anti-America, pro Islam aura about him (whether justified or not). Warning flags raised when Louis Farrakhan saluted the man and this really adds a stiff wind behind those flags.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
They're militants. They will "seriously consider" Obama's plea, then they'll blow up some innocent people and when whoever they attacked retaliates, they'll cry foul and start a new wave of attacks.

Those groups always pull this crap when they need time to regroup and resupply, they make it look like they want peace but in reality they're just tricking their enemies into not shooting for a bit while they pull themselves together.

I'm guessing they "respect and admire" Obama so much because he's gullible enough to let such tactics work.

Alternate Theory #1: Obama paid them to stop and promised them some covert military assistance to make him look like a more respectable statesmen.

Alternate Theory #2: Obama is the Antichrist, who will bring peace to the world and be loved by all until his true nature is revealed.

Regardless of what the truth is, I don't think we should vote for our leaders based on who rogue militant groups like the most. Remember, if the militants start to love us then whoever they are opposing becomes our enemy.

The true path to gaining respect on the world stage is to back off and mind our own business unless there truly is a worldwide problem that requires our involvement.

I wonder which candidates have supported that notion... hmm.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Every single election one or another candidate gets this kind of 'endorsement.' But any excuse will do if it means the warmongers aren't selling bullets.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yes, this is pretty much the reason why I would also welcome an Obama victory.

He can do what others cant by virtue of his youth and background.

Seems like he is already swinging international opinion without even being President.

new topics

top topics

join