It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack of the killer ravens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I wasnt sure which board to put this in, nevertheless I thought it was interesting enough. Mods, feel free to move to the appropriate board you see fit....

High in the darkening sky, a flock of enormous ravens swoop and swirl - narrow black wings stretched wide, heads protruding forward and huge hairy beaks scything through the air.

Every few minutes they let out deep, throaty, honking calls as they soar effortlessly, circling around until, finally, they spot their prey and swoop.

But forget dormice, voles or even small furry rabbits; these sinister looking birds are feasting on something far larger - newborn lambs.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
So up to now, we've got shark attacks (nothing new), coyotes are getting braver, cougers going after the occasional jogger, and now we've got ravens going after larger meals - let alone live ones!
Lets see whats next...

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Animals - birds especially, and city birds MOST especially - are running out of food.
It's as simple as that.
Add to that the fact that this is the time of the year when they have to raise their young... and keep in mind the fact that a sparrow, for example, has to eat ten times its weight every single day (not mentioning the food it has to provide for its young).

I am sure there are other environmental factors, too (radio waves?).

Be it as it may, the animals have had enough.
But they are losing the battle - I am deeply sorry to say.

And I really wish people would stop demonising them: "killer sharks", "killer bears", "killer ravens"...

The only real killer is MAN.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

all very good points Vanitas
, not too mention the flu epidemic thats affecting the various aviary species as well. How is that attributting to their eating habits? Obviously some are dying because of it but could it also be effecting them neurolgically to the point where their "natural selection habits" are kicked into overdrive a little bit?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spikedmilk

I can only guess...
And my guess is, the overall situation may be FAR worse than people generally imagine, but mankind is too blind to see it.

Frankly, I am surprised that "nature" lasted this long before animals started reacting as they are now.

And regardless of what I said before - that they are losing the battle - I do whatever I can to keep them alive by offering them some daily food and fresh water (when needed).
I am buying them time, I guess - as we all do, for our own lives.

(Not to mention that sparrows, especially, are such fun to watch and listen to I really wouldn't want to miss them. Oh, and they are good for the "flow of the Chi", experts on Feng Shui, or whatever shoe it is, say...
)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This story is also here -- www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some input there, plus audio of "The Animal Conspiracy Theory" for a chuckle along with this grisly story

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

They aren't running out of food...not even remotely. Being scavengers, and opportunistic as all get out, they are, possibly, adapting to a change in their enviroment brought on by many factors, not just man.

As far as man being the only killer, that quite simply is not the case. The animal kingdom is full of killers, mans nothing special, save in magnitude.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Oh, how I wish your information was right... but that is simply not the case. City birds, for example, have almost no food left - unless they live in an urban settlement where there is a lot of "littering" - which is why their numbers are dwindling so drastically.
(I could provide you with the relevant statistics, of course; but I've always found that patronising, considering the ubiquitous presence of Google. :-))
And, to be totally frank, I find the topic all too depressing to even dwell on it. I just do my bit, happily so, and try to hope for the best.)

There is also no doubt that other phenomena are greatly disturbing them.
Because when you see seagulls - white, marine seagulls (not the fluvial species) - spending their summer 100 kms inland where there have never been noticed before, then you know something is VERY wrong...

And, of course, there is no way of satisfactorily denying the deleterious effect of humankind. I wish there were - I could certainly sleep better - but the fact is that no other species encumbers the Earth with all kinds of waste that is pure poison, or destroys unspeakable expanses of natural habitats - or, indeed, kills for pleasure.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

You'll notice that only in the availability of food portion was I truly disagreeing with you.

Man is a killer, 'tis true. But only in magnitude, though that's certainly bad enough, is he one wit different than any other species on Earth. Nature is red of tooth and claw, it's a valid truth.

Granted that I live in a mostly rural area, SE Washington St., but I've noticed no decline in avian populations. Ravens, hawks, falcons, as well as a myriad of smaller birds. The largest urban area I'm familiar with to any great extent is Seattle-Tacoma, and being on the water, they are perhaps not a great example, but there doesn't seem to be any great shortage of animals there either. I've seen coyotes, hawks, etc... there too.

I'm no expert on any of this subject matter. I can only go by what my eyes tell me. Given half a chance, nature fills niches as they open up. That is the nature of life. Coyotes have largely replaced wolves in most areas, so perhaps ravens will replace something that has gone missing in other places.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
mans nothing special, save in magnitude.

A .45 magnum is nothing special when compared to a nail-gun, save in magnitude.

Regardless, for the original point - i recall stories a few years back about our seagull population taking to attacking people for their fast food and take-aways, so this story about the ravens going ape on lambs isn't too surprising considering the carnivorous nature of the birds.

Perhaps this is nothing more than a sign of our fellow earthlings learning to overcome their fears of humans...

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Seagulls attacking people for their french fries is a direct result of them being fed by humans. The birds have come to associate humans with food. Yellowstone bears do the same thing, that's why you get in trouble now if you feed the little beggars.

Ravens are smart, adaptable, and opportunistic. They'll change easily to adapt to new circumstances.

I suddenly feel the urge for a french fry. Strange, no?

[edit on 5/6/2008 by seagull]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I suddenly feel the urge for a french fry. Strange, no?

I was just gonna say isnt it ironic "Seagull" is with us.. but that was hellafunny...
nicely done

My opinion - I think Seagull, Vanitas, and AT are all correct, it just depends on the variables. Those being locations and whats available as food sources for the animals. But I am not a zoologist so I cant confirm any absolutes.

The litter problem , true it has waned a bit - depends where you live I guess. I live in a semi-coastal town (Lake Michigan) that I consider dirty in some parts. I see ALOT of gulls and crows (even inland). They dont go hungry. But the road kill doesnt sit around long either.

Then theres is the people problem. Alot of park dwelling type birds - which now include the gulls, crows, and pigeons as well - show almost no fear or reluctance of humans and will approach you if you were to offer something or toss it in their direction. It happens here, I know it happens on the west coast....

And then I cant help but think...nature. Like all the earthquakes, eruptions, etc...natures way of taking itself back. I dont think we'll be seeing Planet of the Apes or Birds for that matter anytime soon but I cant help but wonder if the aggression levels of the animals is just natures way of 'natural escalation'.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by spikedmilk]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I cant help but wonder if the aggression levels of the animals is just natures way of 'natural escalation'.

That's EXACTLY what it is, in my opinion.
(The reasons are stated above, in the previous post.)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikedmilk
Lets see whats next...

Well I tell the...

Forget the Birds... Worry about the Russian Squirrel's!

The above is a thread of mine... That rightly or wrongly did not get that much attention

Originally posted by Now_Then

Not as cute as they look!

Squirrels have bitten to death a stray dog which was barking at them in a Russian park, local media report.

"When they saw the men, they scattered in different directions, taking pieces of their kill away with them."

The tides are turning - the rodents are rising! - Link

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You did say that didnt ya?
, i guess i missed that , well then, we're on the same page then - cool.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Perhaps this is nothing more than a sign of our fellow earthlings learning to overcome their fears of humans...

Oh, I wish...!
But they are too intelligent for that. They know better. Not all people are worthy of their trust. Not all people have regard for other beings's right to live their only life here, on Earth.

The truth (in my opinion, obviously) is that their distress has become so extreme that it can overcome even their natural fear of humans - and even make them "lash out" against them.

THAT - the sheer level of their distress - is really scary.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

i dont doubt it for a second, though as disturbing as it would be I wonder if theres any pics or a video of it? ahhh - i'd probly shut it off anyways. Hey - squirrels can be scary, you'll get no arguement from me there. I can't say I've ever had an encounter as extreme as that but ....check yer thread fer a good laugh....

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I haven't heard anything new in the way of raven attacks but I did find this little clip of a rabbit gettin swarmed by some crows. Fortunately, it looks like he makes it outta there. The videos a bit short in my opinion.

www.leenks.com...

[edit on 27-6-2008 by spikedmilk]

top topics

join