It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 97
<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
shouldn't someone who does their own research be considered for the breaking news category?Maybe a post about the titanic for instance would still be considered old news even if I just discovered it was actually sunk by aliens instead of an iceberg?I am just using that as an example,i do not really believe that lol.I have a problem sometimes with patience so i got kinda pissed I could not reply back when you sent the message out about breaking news.I wrote a long letter telling you how i did my own research,developed my own theory and how I did field work.I did some connecting of the dots with info I got from others and used a lot of older info to provide some background,but I did provide new information.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed the amount of pop ups and adverts that have appeared on this site in the last 6 months? has ATS sold out?

I remember when this site was clean and people were talking about fighting against the business side of things. I remember when you could log in to this site and not receive any kind of pop ups promoting business ventures. Oh dear how things change when you choose money over fighting the systems.

IMHO you can have to much of a good thing and to choose money over people especially on this site will have a detremental effect on the quality of membership.

The question is have you notice? do you expect this site to stay the number one conspiracy site? Do you agree with what I have said?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

The question is have you notice? do you expect this site to stay the number one conspiracy site? Do you agree with what I have said?

-I have noticed that ads have always been here, even when I was a lurker.

-ATS will remain the #1 conspiracy site. I don't even know what site is #2.

-Clearly I disagree.

*Would you rather ATS start forcing people to pay Cash in lieu of ads on a free site?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Has anyone noticed the amount of pop ups and adverts that have appeared on this site in the last 6 months? has ATS sold out?

Sold out? Really?

Do you have any idea of the IT costs associated with keeping a site of this site up and running?
1 x massive 16-CPU database server
3 x enterprise-class 4-CPU web servers
1 x enterprise-class 2-CPU web server
High capacity global content delivery network - for video and member uploads
1 - IT consultancy to keep it all running smoothly
1 - IT security firm to constantly scan for exploits
(among several other expenses)

Did we "sell out" when we launched a free unlimited video and media service to our members with the international bandwidth performance on-par with YouTube?

Did we "sell out" at any point during the consistent performance and technology upgrades to the site?

Please.

We're running pop-ups... yes. However, once logged in as a member, our pop-up code is disabled.

If you're a guest, and have not logged in, our code limits the pop-ups to two-per-day per-user.... no more than that, ever. However, if you've disabled cookies or your browser is configured to refuse "third party cookies," you will most likely get more than two as there's no way for the code to identify you and determine frequency.

Why are we now running a limited number of pop-ups? Because any minor review of advertising industry news will indicate that online advertising rates have been dropping, and we've been forced to integrate some additional advertising products so that we can continue to maintain the same level of quality and forward-thinking that has set us apart.

Walk ten feet in our shoes before you accuse us of "selling out."

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Unless everyone wants paid subscriptions, the site has to generate some kind of revenue. On the other hand, advertisers want on a high volume site, then slowly kill that site with demands of one sort or another. I think we've seen it recently with all drug discussions banned, and the creation of the empty Narcotics Conspiracies discussion area with it's high entry for posting.

IMHO, it's just a matter of time till big pharma makes an offer that ATS can't refuse, and demands that people on ATS stop bad mouthing their products.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
On the other hand, advertisers want on a high volume site, then slowly kill that site with demands of one sort or another.

No advertiser has ever, or will ever influence the content on ATS.

In fact, we've had advertisers pull out of deals because we wouldn't remove content they found questionable.

The demise of the "Narcotics Conspiracies" forum has nothing to due with this, and everything to do with the simple problem that members were unable to discuss the topic without getting into advocacy of personal use.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're running pop-ups... yes. However, once logged in as a member, our pop-up code is disabled.

I am VERY glad to hear you say that.
For the last week or so i thought i had issues with my system... have been scanning and cleaning it trying to find out the problem.

Cheers SO

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In fact, we've had advertisers pull out of deals because we wouldn't remove content they found questionable.

Apart from the narcotics what didn't they like? what didn't they agree with? why would that have an impact on their advertising?

This is the first time I have ever heard any admission of using pop ups, all the other threads that have asked have either been closed locked or the moderators deny this, are the moderators aware of this site using pop ups?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Would you rather ATS start forcing people to pay Cash in lieu of ads on a free site?

Yes I would, that would certainly have an impact on the quality of membership and wouold weedle out the scammers and hoaxers oh and lets not forget the trolls.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I run off of Linux and I think I have seen a pop up 2x on this site since I joined. I think ATS has been getting better since I joined. No complaints here.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Yes I would, that would certainly have an impact on the quality of membership and wouold weedle out the scammers and hoaxers oh and lets not forget the trolls.

And the downside is that it would also weedle out some great members which may not be able to pay for their membership. We live in hard times, you know. Many people are losing their jobs... Not just scammers and hoaxers and trolls.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Totally agree..... many decent members would leave if this site charged.
I can live with pop-ups and ads..

I just wish we would have been told about the pop-ups.... it freaks you out when you start getting them on here....

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
agreed. If ATS became a paid site I wouldn't bother.. would make it more elitist/too exclusive plus I don't buy stuff online because I don't trust banking security. Given the level of paranoia with conspiracy buffs I'm sure I'm not the only one. (yeah I'm still in the dark ages
)

[edit on 1-5-2009 by riley]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Love the mask Bill!

Many people use AR15.com as a model for paid membership. But paid membership is not the cats meow. I know that it gets some money to the site, but I think that the better way to do this is through trade deals, as AR15.com does. They have a section of the site that is basically a shopping forum. They have established links to companies that give AR15 back a small percentage of sales if they come from the AR15 site.This is a way of using customer loyalty to give back to the site, and loyalty is the best asset that I think ATS has.

The problem of course is figuring out what places are standard targets for synergy deals. And of course, please do not start an Amway spring off called ATS-Way.

Oohhh, what about:

ATS-Mart

“For all your Alien, End of the World, Government Conspiracy, Pandemic Flu, Martial Law needs!”

[edit on 1-5-2009 by Hot_Wings]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
plus I don't buy stuff online because I don't trust banking security. Given the level of paranoia with conspiracy buffs I'm sure I'm not the only one. (yeah I'm still in the dark ages
)
[edit on 1-5-2009 by riley]

Nope, you're not alone.
I have never used my cards online....never intend too.
Don't trust it.

I usually get a friend to order it on their card and i give them the cash.

Hey....we may be paranoid, but we ain't gonna get our card details stolen

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'll say it again...

ATS will NEVER charge for Membership.

Fran, it's real easy... LOG IN and you won't see any popups.

Springer...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Is there anyway to block a certain forum from popping up in recent threads?

This pig flu forum is suffocating, hyped, much ado over nothing, and we even have an ATS owner hyping it with his avatar. I'm sick of it! It's enough to give a guy the pig flu.

I just want to review recent threads without being innundated with pig flu. Help!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Hi RR,

Towards the top of the recent posts page you have the option to see all recent threads without the "swine flu" forum.

I posted a picture of it here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

On Recent active threads page click where I've put the red square:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hey! Copydog!

...Oh wait you posted before me...