It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Just a idea, but how about closing the threads that are obviously "game" theads but give a little lee-way to threads that fall into the category of "getting to know you.....getting to know all about you"? Both are fun, but in my mind, the latter has more substance than the former.

IMO....

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have just read that the CM forums will be closing . Now I cant think of one good reason why the CM forums should be closed in fact some of the highest quality discussions I have taken part on ATS have taken place in Justin Oldham CM forum . If anybody is wondering where I read this then they can look here . I had to raise this matter in this thread because the link in the post linked to above just brings up an era page .

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A question to any of the mods or admins around here please

On my profile, at the very top of the page.. it says 250 max regarding posting in the last 180 days.

Is that the maximum amount of posts I can make in 180 days or what? I don't understand how the system works here at ATS,, sorry, I'm new around here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[edit on 23/10/08 by Majorion]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Rush, Springer, AccessDenied, skeptic1, anyone else throwing in their 2 cents on the BTS issue.

First, I have a question: I've looked at the "Put an end to 'post in my thread' threads" thread (I think that was the right # of threads). Is there another one related to "games" threads, or was it all one big issue?

I'm unclear on the rules also, and while I usually can grasp what the purpose of an ATS rule is and make decisions based on that, the specific purpose of this is eluding me.

For instance, posting issues all in this big huge megathread makes sense from an administrative point of view because that way they're all right here for you to look at.

No illegal substance talk makes sense because of web crawlers.

No ad hominem attacks makes sense because we're trying to learn something here, not snipe at each other.

But the guidelines for BTS fun threads are beyond me.

So, here's my suggestion: how about we take the discussion over to BTS in the General Chit Chat Forum where we're not clogging up the ATS Issues thread, and we can talk it out at a leisurely pace, since I don't think any of us see it as an immediately pressing issue. Then we might also be able to get the moderators down there to weigh in with how they see things, etc.

If the thread turned nasty, it could be closed and the discussion returned here.

What do you all think? (AccessDenied, I'm especially interested in your input, since you were around for the last thread culling)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

The thing is, I wasn't really trying to make a big issue out of it, just point it out.
It was made pretty clear that the game threads causing a problem were pretty much the ones with just a one word or one line answer.
They really don't add much to the board, admittedly, and I'm sure cause stress on the already bogged down servers.
When it happened earlier this year, that certain threads were closed, some of us didn't really understand why either, and were quite annoyed.
But, I get the "WHY" now. I just want to see it enforced.
I'm sure we can all find better ways to create interesting threads without there being a game involved.
Trust me, I was reluctant to even post it here in the issues thread.
Makes me look like the real party pooper. Well so be it. Iam a stickler for the rules, and try my best to abide them. Just want to see everyone do the same.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

That's just the maximum amount of posts it will show you, not the maximum you can post in that timeframe.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Yes, a mod has informed of that in my U2U inbox. Thanks for your time anyhow.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm sorry, could anyone tell me how to post an image in my signature?

Or how to change my background?

Thanks

[edit on 23/10/08 by Majorion]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Get a link to the picture, put it in [ats] [/ats] tags and copy that into the signature spot in Account Settings.

[edit on 10/25/08 by enjoies05]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Last Friday I posted a comment in a thread, the comment was about obama and the media.

A mod rather quickly removed my post throwing up a banner saying it was off topic.

I reposted my post a little different hoping they'd see it was infact on topic.

Again it was removed.

I emailed this Mod a number of times asking for an explanation as to WHY my post was deleted ,when all the other posts before it were on the same level, and some were even debating the point WITH me.

No reply.

I posted a complaint, and thus got a reply back saying it was being looked at, if you didnt hear anything contact a supermod.

So I u2u'd the name against the complaint, giving examples of how other posts in the thread were on par like mine, and i felt i shouldnt of been removed.

Again, no reply.

So I emailed the super-mod, explaining what had happened and asking if I could be told WHY my post was removed.

Again, here I am Tuesday morning and not one person has replied.

Is anyone ever going to get back to me?
Or can mods simply removing anything they want, without needing explanation.

What happens if you type something a mod doesnt agree with?....

If your going to have oversight, you need some set rules and guidelines. not just people using those rules when they feel like it.

Now I hope I get a reply from this, and I dont have to start a new thread!

maria_stardust
semperfortis
dbates

Surely one of you could reply?

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I, too have had the same situation, and I really thought that the thread that I had posted was legit. It too was about Barack, and there were some posters that were getting, let's say, "Frustrated", but nothing that was a deliberate attack or out right profanity.
What gives with that ?
You should at least give the true cause of the retraction of such threads with a direct cause of it being closed.
I know you MOD's send the acknowledgement of it being taken off of the forum's but without any exact reason, just the guide lines and infractions rules.

What do you say "The Vagabond?"

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Apparently, ive received replies.
My U2U inbox doesnt show these, so if its a problem with the U2U system I apologise.

But I have most definately not seen or read anything replying back to my queries.

They are going to look into it I believe.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Which is it? Did you get a response or not? If you didn't it's something we need to improve on and we will, if you did I need to know that too please.

to everyone else with questions about political posts:

We (the admins) have made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR in MANY THREADS. It is the members' responsibility to learn the guidelines and abide by them, the staff is outnumbered 140,000+ to 60, they simply don't have time to explain each and every removal. Especially when it's unnecessary since the new guidelines have been made very obvious to those who will do a minimum of research and be responsible enough to keep up with the guidelines.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I sent you back a reply. Did you get it?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This is sort of an ATS Issue, sort of just a heads-up, maybe even a source of miscommunication between ATSers:

The last couple U2Us that I've received were not listed in bold in my inbox, leading me at first to assume that the U2U light had come on mistakenly.

Now that I know to look at the most recent U2U, it doesn't really matter that unread U2Us don't show up in bold. But it was a nice feature, and I thought the change might be causing confusion for other people as well.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923

I, too have had the same situation, and I really thought that the thread that I had posted was legit. It too was about Barack, and there were some posters that were getting, let's say, "Frustrated", but nothing that was a deliberate attack or out right profanity.
What gives with that ?
You should at least give the true cause of the retraction of such threads with a direct cause of it being closed.
I know you MOD's send the acknowledgement of it being taken off of the forum's but without any exact reason, just the guide lines and infractions rules.

What do you say "The Vagabond?"

To be honest I was a bit surprised that your thread was not removed earlier. This is why:

You posted under the breaking political news forum. The breaking news was a YouTube video referred to in a blog that had been posted on YouTube some time ago.

New Political News Threads intended for the Breaking Political News forum cannot be based on blogs, YouTube videos, or any other content considered "user-generated" from any source.

No Innuendo or Rumor Threads regarding the candidates for the 2008 election will be allowed from this point forward in any of the ATS forums.

New Political Threads Must Be Fact-Based and initiated with an examination, analysis, or sober coverage of a candidate's or party's stated platform issue, either via official platform statements or recent interviews.

I think you were done a disservice by the inconsistency of the enforcement of this policy.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

I can understand your point of view of it being a rather old topic, but I had received and it was dated Oct. 25th 2008, and for that reason, after trying to research it through the archives and finding nothing to compare it to, I went forward with posting it thinking it had not been discussed. "Which is all I was doing to see if it were fact or fiction."
Before that, I didn't even know the video existed.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge over this event, but it was to basically satisfy my own thoughts of it's existence.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

I think you are missing the point.

Your post was based on innuendo from a YouTube video posted on a blog. Both of which are prohibited source material as is Wikipedia I believe.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Agit8edChop and EVERYONE Else who has a question about a political thread/post that was removed, PLEASE READ THIS:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join