It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 262
<< 259  260  261    263  264  265 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Chevalerous.....

I'm sure they could do that for you.

Whilst I'm here, is there anything else you'd like.....

A cappucino perhaps?

Maybe a scone?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I've seen mods from England and South Africa.

The site has its origins in the UK even, if I remember correct.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Haha! yes please!

Can I order one Cappuccino, a hot ham & cheese Croissant and a bowl of fresh water for my dog please?

No serious! IMHO I would really like to see a 'more' diversed team of moderators, and from many more parts in the world in comparison of what we have here today.

I think that more than 80 % of the current "working" moderators who are working/moderating now today on a daily basis that we meet every day here on the boards - are Americans/Canadians!

Although, I think there are still British and European moderators from the old days here, still upholding their titles working as moderators - but you rarely see them around here frequently these days, on daily basis (they pop in from time to time though)

And the new people appointed to moderators these latest 2 years, has been mainly from the Americas.

(Well I saw that the lovely Aussie lady 'zazzafras' was a moderator for a very short time (few weeks) which made me happy because that was a great decision to make her part of the team IMO - but sadly for whatever reason, she's not anymore)

So yes! IMHO I would like to see a more diversed International team of moderators here, reflecting the current true international status of this site - covering all time zones and sometimes even covering different opinions of/from different cultures & international politics from different angles in difficult dilemmas and moderator judgements & decisions.

Fair, unfair? maybe, maybe not?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Perhaps ATS should have moderators stationed in ships anchored in the middle of the Atlantic Oceanl, just so that there are no 'quiet times whatsoever.

Also, maybe the membership would like to pay them livable wages in order to hold them accountable for not jumping to attention immediately upon an alert being issued.

Hup 2 3 4

lef right lef right lef right lef right

*sigh*

We try, we honestly try... but it's never enough.

Alas.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Some European moderators are online everyday.

Another thing that should be considered in cases like this is that each forum has its own moderators, so if you see something that you think is wrong you can use the complaint function or contact a moderator for that forum (they are listed at the bottom of every page).

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Also, maybe the membership would like to pay them livable wages in order to hold them accountable for not jumping to attention immediately upon an alert being issued.

You should be paid for performance, a sizable dollar figure for each justifiable action taken. A penalty for each action that wasn't justifiable.

Incentive based pay!

No time clock needed, you mods would never leave and literally be reading every post!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
No time clock needed, you mods would never leave and literally be reading every post!

Even the biggest carrot in the world won't make this ass stop when he's worn out.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas

I've seen mods from England and South Africa.

The site has its origins in the UK even, if I remember correct.

Yeah that's true! but how many in comparison with those from the Americas?

If we would take a look at the the average moderator actions made here on daily basis 2010, I bet that most of them are made by moderators from the Americas in general.

(Some of them are very active and work very hard on daily basis)

Most of the moderators here are working their arses off and are doing great job (Kudos!) but I would still like to see more International moderating and more moderator citizens from Europe, Russia, India, Australia and Asia - which also would be great to keep up with the time zones.

Heck! I could even go so far to say that I would even like to see a moderator from the Middle East to keep certain things in balance.

But that's just my me and my opinions how I work as a human - I like to strive for more fairness & balance in all things!

As this site grows rapidly internationally, so should also the "moderator base" reflect this development with more international moderators for even more unquestionable fairness & balance regarding the international membership here on ATS!

But ultimately, this is the prerogative of the owners of this great site, I'm just speaking my mind out loud here, that I wish to see more international moderators who are living in other parts in the world, who are knowing other different cultures & mindsets beside the Anglo-American mindset, POV and culture.

Thanks for listening!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I've never felt that the site was lacking in Mods, especially in the chatroom

But now that you mention it, I wouldnt mind seeing an Irish mod

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I don't understand what difference it makes, though. The T&C are the T&C, which the moderators have obviously agreed to enforce. How would a person's nationality matter in this regard?

It's all pretty black and white, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Maybe that is because the Americans are the most paranoid and have the largest supply of English talking nerds locked away in their bedrooms
Who knows ?

I do understand your point tho. Occasionally it feels like an American site, but I always remember myself that they are just the ones that create the most chaos and because they think they rule the world and everything is bigger, better and larger in the states. ( Including debt
) they pretend their problems are our problems. Which they are on a number of occasions.

The time difference however should be noticeable between New York and LA. Isn't that like 4 hours or something ?

What happened to Zazzafraz ? I never noticed

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Time difference between N.Y. and L.A. is three hours, don't think Americans think our problems are your problems, members from other countries come into American threads and some tell us what we should do and in some cases act like they are Americans. Why is it members from other countries don't put up more threads about what is going on in their countries, don't you think that is their responsibility if they want to talk about where they live, just asking.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I don't know. I never really consider it to be a problem actually.

I guess they should. However... The US has the tendency to stuck its nose in places...
Resulting in to mutual problems. The fact is that the US plays as if they own the place and every now and again someone gets a little annoyed by it. Starting by taking everything American as a source of discomfort and so on.
( Not pointing to original topic starter. )

Truly I can not come up with a good explanation.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

I don't understand what difference it makes, though. The T&C are the T&C, which the moderators have obviously agreed to enforce. How would a person's nationality matter in this regard?

It's all pretty black and white, isn't it?

Yep mostly! the T&C is most of the time very clear! but at some very few unfortunate occasions as in the real society when a problem occurs, it's also a question on the interpretation of these Laws & rules, which sometimes are depending on discussions which are taking place behind the curtain in a closed forum among the moderators themselves as group when the problem occurs.

These group then sometimes together decide what actions should be made and done if they have a dilemma or when a problem occur which is not entirely 100% black or white.

And like in a real Jury there are sometimes opinions among this group for the accused or against the accused.

(And in some cases I think the the owners are getting involved and ultimately they have obviously the full right to make any final decision since this is their own site)

But I see this lacking of international moderators as a twofold minor problem/dilemma:

1. You don't cover all the time zones as you would with a truly international base of moderators (which is the most important part that I'm arguing for)

2. In those very rare cases a dilemma can occur with moderator judgements and decision making because of personal, political or cultural influeces & references etc from one "culturally homogeneous group" who has a certain common mindset because of their nationality and or in very special occasions because of exagerrated patriotism and nationalism in times of war for an example.

(As in the real society regarding tricky questions and rare dilemmas (if you're working with decision making regarding the Law for an example) it sometimes occur occasions where it's nearly impossible to be 100% impartial in some difficult cases - several studies shows that certain decison making will unfortunately sometimes be coloured by one's own special mindset, prejudices & personal opinions, political & cultural/national references etc etc!)

Wouldn't it be more fair and balanced and take away any possible suspicions which can occur if the international membership are to be judged in very tricky dilemmas or problematic situations by a group where the majority are sharing the same cultural & political mindset of the Americas and mostly anglo moderators?

I think that most of the hard working moderators and the owners are doing a hell of a great job though! Kudos guys!

So I'm not really complaining, it's more of a wish of seeing more international moderators now when we are having a more international membership base that is! lol!

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Time difference between N.Y. and L.A. is three hours, don't think Americans think our problems are your problems, members from other countries come into American threads and some tell us what we should do and in some cases act like they are Americans. Why is it members from other countries don't put up more threads about what is going on in their countries, don't you think that is their responsibility if they want to talk about where they live, just asking.

My latest theory is that there are no other nations besides the United States, these supposed and presumed other nations only exist as holographic programs.

For instance all of World War II actually took place in a Burbank California Film Studio!

There is much evidence to support this theory including your contention that non-Americans often pose as Americans in America related threads!

Why? Because they actually are Americans, posing as non-Americans normally for the sake of the holographic program and sometimes forget the roles they are supposed to be playing as non-Americans!

If Americans realized there was no other nations we would stop funding the military industrial complex!

Now I haven’t quite figured out how illegal immigration fits into this theory but I am sure it is the Zionists, Romans, or Muslims, or possibly Communists behind that aspect.

So unless Americans make threads about the other countries because there are no other countries, then there can be no threads on the other countries.

The Rabbit Hole runs pretty deep on this one!

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

We have mods in Australia, mods in European Countries, and mods in the USA.

Its like the old British Empire - The sun never sets on ATS Moderation.

Yes, there are quiet times, but on a site this big seeing everything is not easy.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

C'mon guys. You know this was funny.

But yeah, I really adore the non-Americans. ATS wouldn't be nearly as interesting or fun without it's multi-nationals. Plus, I feel like I have *friends* who live in Australia and the UK. And Portugal! Where else but ATS?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

... and New Zealand, Africa, and the Caribbean.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Plus, I feel like I have *friends* who live in Australia and the UK. And Portugal! Where else but ATS?

what about Canada.....

now I don't feel special any more......

and on the topic of Mod's whereabout's, I don't see a problem as they are scattered about the globe..

just cuz you don't see them doesn't mean that they aren't there..

new topics

top topics

<< 259  260  261    263  264  265 >>

join