It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 259
<< 256  257  258    260  261  262 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We've always stressed that only a small snippet of external sources should be used, along with a link to the source. I happened to have been working on some related new code for the 2010 site, and discovered a graceful way to visually limit the displayed text of external sources. Hopefully, this will help everyone focus a little more on the most-relevant portion of off-site content, and use that.

SO, there is a way to allow a user to submit a large amount of text, and you can create a function in PHP which will limit the text by X amount of characters.

Id be happy to provide it to you. I think instead of asking the user to comply, you can enforce compliance and allow the user experience to be more fluid. Same goes with the Font Size Issue.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I ....discovered a graceful way to visually limit the displayed text of external sources.
How soon do you expect it to be functional for the external source tags, because right now the display is just truncated, not visually limited like the quote tags?

Edit to add: Or did you intentionally truncate the external source material and not just visually limit it like the quote tags do? And if so, what's the limit before it gets truncated? Line limit? Word limit?

Originally posted by EspyderMan
SO, there is a way to allow a user to submit a large amount of text, and you can create a function in PHP which will limit the text by X amount of characters.
I'm not against the scroll bars, however ATS has a much better scroll bar implementation on the image tags [img]. The nice thing about those scroll bars, is they appear when they are needed, but not when they are not needed.

If there was any way to do something like that with the scroll bars for the quote tags, I think it would be a nice improvement over having the scroll bars appear for short quotes where they aren't needed, if it can be coded that way.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

reply to post by ArMaP

reply to post by americandingbat

Thank you all very much.

I was not aware that special characters would screw things up.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
So, let me get this right.

The new 'Expand' feature works with quotes but not with the External text?

The ex text is now just automatically cut off after a set amount of words/letters?

Is this correct?

[edit on 27/7/10 by LiveForever8]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Just wondering if the site is under going some upgrades and/or maintenance? When clicking internal links I keep getting browser errors of 503 & the page itself displays this error:
This server is temporarily unable to service requests.(Internal-Reason: 132)

Also the site seems to be running really slow.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Yes... I'm experiencing the same thing and it has been noticed by other staff. No doubt it will be looked into quickly.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Is someone working on the servers?

Or is this an attack?

This page:

ATS Server: www2.theabovenetwork.com
Powered by AboveTop:Board v2.3
Header data processed in 0.007 seconds
Page processed in 37.898 seconds
9 total database queries (4)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thanks for the quick response. I know the site has some upgrades coming, good luck to you all! Site migrations are a headache, but so worth it in the end.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
On my profile under my avatar it shows 66 flags, but if you look at the threads started on the right hand side, these add up to more than 400 flags. Why the difference here? Is there an age factor so that flags drop off after a certain point? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I think you may be adding up the number of responses to each thread instead of the number of flags. The formatting makes it a bit confusing, but the number of flags is in parentheses after the word "flags"; the number right before the word "flags" is actually the number of responses (indicated by the colon).

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
reply to post by schuyler

I think you may be adding up the number of responses to each thread instead of the number of flags. The formatting makes it a bit confusing, but the number of flags is in parentheses after the word "flags"; the number right before the word "flags" is actually the number of responses (indicated by the colon).

Oh, duh on me! You're absolutely right. Thanks very much. That was just stupid of me. (Shamefaced)

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
ATS has a much better scroll bar implementation on the image tags [img]. The nice thing about those scroll bars, is they appear when they are needed, but not when they are not needed.
Hmmm, I complimented how great the scroll bars work on the [img] tags and the next day I find they are not working?
What do I need to say to get you make it work like it did before (where the scroll bar automatically appears for images wider than about 600 pixels), use reverse psychology?

Just kidding, I assume you're working on the coding because I've seen numerous code changes come and go over the last day or so. Hopefully the final version of the code will be at least as functional as what we had yesterday even though it's not working right now.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
There is some kind of problem going on with the EX tag

When I make a post and then view it, whole paragraphs which I wrapped in EX tags are being chopped off. But when I click "edit" the text is still there in the code.....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by cupocoffee
When I make a post and then view it, whole paragraphs which I wrapped in EX tags are being chopped off.

There's a new maximum height assigned to the visible content in the external BBcode tags. Way too many people (lately) we're putting entire pages of content into the external tags, and even if the source allows such usage, we'd still rather see snippets and links here. Hopefully the vertical size restriction will help users focus on the most salient point of external content, and ensure that part is visible.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Aye, captain, I will keep that in mind

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
When I clicked on the 2012 forum, my spyware doctor pop up detected the following:

7/28/2010 6:28:37 AM:740
Site Guard: Blocked Site
Threat Name - Spyware.Known_Bad_Sites
Details - Site Guard has blocked access to a bad website
Risk Level - High
Infection - ad.metanetwork.com (98.136.76.244)

not sure if this is related to the full page ad or if this is yet another problem ???????

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Please go to this link found in the Member Center and report it. That'll get it addressed quickest.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
reply to post by jfj123

Please go to this link found in the Member Center and report it. That'll get it addressed quickest.

Thanks for your help.
I've done as you've described.
Thanks for posting that info.
Lately I've felt that the ATS staff has not interest in these items so I do appreciate your response.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

There's a new maximum height assigned to the visible content in the external BBcode tags.

Hopefully the vertical size restriction will help users focus on the most salient point of external content, and ensure that part is visible.
I understand your motivation for doing this, but I have a question. Any idea why when I viewed the external source tag in preview mode it only chopped a little bit off the bottom, and then when I clicked reply and looked at my post, it chopped more off than was chopped off in the preview? Like maybe an extra 5 lines? Would it be possible to get the preview mode to match the final reply?

Edit to add: I had a little more time to go back and look at this problem. It looks like the height is the same in the preview mode and the final reply, but the width is much wider in the preview mode. That's why the final reply is cutting off so much that is showing in the preview.

If you can fix this by making both the height and the width of the preview similar to the final reply, I would appreciate it (or any other solution you can think of which won't give us a surprise on the final reply that differs from the preview, would be fine too).

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This thread is so unlike ATS, I am having a hard time understanding why the moderators are allowing a great deal of these comments.

The amount and style of the personal attacks are truly disturbing.

I am not one to complain, but this is an exception.

Gulf Oil Spill Hoax Theory Vindicated

new topics

top topics

<< 256  257  258    260  261  262 >>

join