It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 245
<< 242  243  244    246  247  248 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes we discussed that at length and established that the context is definently offensive to disabled people.

Is the large print annoying or antogonistic? Maybe a pointless given you can read without it being in large letters? There is a double standard which I do not believe will be corrected and I may have to accept that.. but you're trying to shout me down over it will not make that magically disapear.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by riley]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

You have come to the conclusion that it's offensive to disabled people, others have clearly said that you're overreacting and making a mountain out of a molehill.

The big, bold lettering was just to allow you to see the one and only point that matters in all of this.... CONTEXT

Had the person called people retards directly.... said to someone... "OMG you are as stupid as a retard" or "shut up you retards" or Any other insult, personal attack or in an offensive way, then action would have been taken.... as the poster referred to themselves and didn't attack anybody (even disabled people, despite what you think) then it was ok and did not break the T&C's.

As I said, It's not a term I use and it's not the classiest of ways to respond in a post.... however, he broke no rules and again, despite what you think, the post was in no way offensive or meant as an attack on any groups of people, mentally challenged or other wise.

Get a grip, seriously.

It's all about the context, the "insult" was not directed at anybody and therefore breaks no rules.

I am a Moron and a Tosser..... they are also offensive words but you see how I used them? I referred to myself as a Moron and a Tosser, not someone else, and that, on ATS, is absolutely fine.

Thanks for this thoroughly enjoyable debate, It's been an absolute joy to engage with you and so on.... but this really is flogging a dead horse* now

* No offense was meant to any members who may have lost a horse in the past. This was merely an expression/phrase and is in no way representative of my feelings towards horses, nor was it meant to make light of any horses who have died or will die. I like horses.

Perhaps we should all put a disclaimer when we type anything, just so people like yourself don't get all bent out of shape.

[edit on 17/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by riley

CONTEXT

The rare instance where a 1-word response did not receive a "single-line" warning from us, because it succinctly framed our approach.

Nearly any (non-vulgar) word can be offensive or edifying depending on the context and intent of the author.

Such is the case, and the "bickering" over this will now end.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hey nobody has had an issue with ATS in over 12 hours!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

High Five..

My Brother!

Woot!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
anyone know why my avatar stopped being animated?

i have no idea what happened to it???

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I see the animation.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I don’t know if this is where I should post this on section 4888 something or other but anyway here I go.

I’m trying to post an avatar right? So here I am I go to media page where it asked me to sign in.
Well I’m already signed into ATS so I didn’t think it was necessary but who am I to question. Anyway I try to sign in using my current username and password only to be told there was a problem with one or the other.

Ok no biggie Ill simply change my password. Uhh… NO GO on that because when It asks me to type my username… (snowen20).… The response is: “there is no user by that name.” Grrrinding my gears.

Sooo yeah about that, am I missing something? Im actually afraid to sign out now because I may never get back in. I was out for about a year and when I came back my avatar was gone and some policies had changed. So I would like to get everything back to normal maybe put up a policy friendly avatar and get to contributing again.

Thanks, Hope someone gets this.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Not sure about the issue in not being able to change your password but the ATS Media uses the original ATS password that you had when you registered your account.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
I don’t know if this is where I should post this on section 4888 something or other but anyway here I go.

The nice thing about this thread is that there are many people -- both mods and members like me who are just nosy -- who check it out. If you post a new thread in BBQ and it doesn't get a response right away it'll fall off the first page of threads and no one will ever see it. I know it seems like your question will get lost if you just tack it onto hundreds of pages of other questions, but it really doesn't

I’m trying to post an avatar right? So here I am I go to media page where it asked me to sign in.
Well I’m already signed into ATS so I didn’t think it was necessary but who am I to question. Anyway I try to sign in using my current username and password only to be told there was a problem with one or the other.

Ok no biggie Ill simply change my password. Uhh… NO GO on that because when It asks me to type my username… (snowen20).… The response is: “there is no user by that name.” Grrrinding my gears.

As MemoryShock says, the media portal will work with your original (or most recent ATS-generated) password. For whatever reason, they never set up the ability to register for the media portal separately, so it won't recognize your username until you have signed in already.

If like me you have absolutely no idea what your original password was and can't find it, you need to request a new password from www.abovetopsecret.com and have it emailed to whatever email address you used when you registered. That'll automatically generate a new password that you can sign into both ATS and the Media Portal with.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Freaky conspiratorial ATS Search anomaly:

Here's my input:

here's the (2nd attempt) result:

The 'author's name' has been changed in the results.

On 1st attempt the result came up as a negative — even though I knew full well there was such a post (—which doesn't bode well for searches where you're less certain of the words/phrase you're looking for!). And to cap it all an immediate second attempt came up with the right post, but the name still changed.

I never did trust Google.

Any ideas admin?

(This really is a bit mind boggling.)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The author's name wasn't changed in the search results. It's merely suggesting alternative search terms to try.

It found a post with "sterling" and "climb" authored by you, and is including some suggestions for another search. Right?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

The post came up correctly in the search - but google automatically checks for spelling errors or maybe typos, etc so it was checking to see if maybe you spelled it correctly.

you wanted "pause" it was acting you if you meant "paws" It was giving you an alternative search word.

However, the search results still worked and your serach was found.

[edit on June 24th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I suppose it's panic over. Thanks.

I think what happened was I saw the 'no results' response 1st time round (*still unexplained*) & was shocked to see what appeared to be altered search terms surrounding this response.

You're right, of course. I should have looked more carefully.

Any thoughts on how two searches in immediate succession could bring up such different results?

[edit to add:]

reply to post by greeneyedleo

Ditto.

[edit on 24/6/10 by pause4thought]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Nope. Speculation, but no definitive answer. First thought would be maybe if you typed in the search terms on separate occasions, maybe you had a typo in there somewhere.

No? Could be a hiccup between the site and Google and the search didn't process completely.

It's a chain. Hardware, software, liveware... plenty of potential failpoints. The mystery isn't that it doesn't always work. The mystery is how it ever does.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The mystery isn't that it doesn't always work. The mystery is how it ever does.

We understand. That's pretty much what we have to deal with with yeahright.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hi.

Is there a reason we are completely disregarding the T&C for this thread in particular?

I've seen members banned and threads locked for this sort of behaviour, yet it's going on 3 pages here and nobody has said anything?

No mod edit or explanation?

Really makes me wonder who this "mystery" poster is..

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's in the trash bin now that the staff has been made aware of it. With >6,000 new posts a day it's impossible for the staff to see them all, especially on a weekend.

Why something this simple would cause you to "wonder who the mystery poster is" is baffling.

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 242  243  244    246  247  248 >>

join