It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 226
<< 223  224  225    227  228  229 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

But Elvis, you EXPOSED a HOAX which is all together different than creating a thread and then having it moved to HOAX forum by staff.

A case in point: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is not like you to change our mind. Are you getting enough.......caffeine?

[edit on 24-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

But Elvis, you EXPOSED a HOAX which is all together different than creating a thread and then having it moved to HOAX forum by staff.

A case in point: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is not like you to change our mind. Are you getting enough.......caffeine?

Kinda kurious.....

OK....I agree if you create a hoax you should not get flags.

In fact, I believe members get banned if they are shown to be intentionally perpetrating a hoax.

Also.....

I do have a change of mind sometimes.....for instance:

- I had a lot of trouble with those bats & birds in that Niagara UFO thread

- I made up my mind to mow the lawn next weekend, but my wife changed my mind & I mowed it this weekend

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 24-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
I made up my mind to mow the lawn next weekend, but my wife changed my mind & I mowed it this weekend.

LOL, I've got a spousal unit like that too! My fate is not my own. If she yells DAMN, I start gathering wood.
I tried to convince her I was on ATS this weekend saving the planet from eminent doom from Alien Attack and I didn't have the luxury of time to wash her car. Man does that thing shine.

I think the Mods offer wide latitude regarding intentional Hoaxing. A recent complaint from me got a Thread title changed to "Theory" due to wild claims made. In my atom-sized brain the intent to 'mislead' is as potent as the intent to 'hoax'. They are culpable cousins, IMO.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Kinda kurious.....

I agree there seems to be some latitude with the intentional hoaxing issue. I guess it can be difficult to know for certain if someone meant to hoax something, if they start to change their story, obfuscate the issue, etc....

Sometimes I think it's not so much intentional hoaxing as complete stupidity.....I can think of a recent thread that detonated big time, much in part due to the stubbornness & silliness of the op.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Actually we are absolute about HOAXERS... They are banned at the moment it is determined their intent was to hoax our community.

As MMN points out however, it's not as simple as it may seem to prove intent or, for that matter, to prove a hoax. When we are faced with the lack of absolute evidence of a hoax, but, we "know" it's a hoax (I hope that makes sense) we usually initiate a poll of the membership.

I've used the "vote them off the island" tactic several times in the past. In essence it means that the Membership of ATS considers the content a hoax and the presenter a hoaxer and neither are welcome here.

The toughest cases are when people share their experiences or beliefs. Intent becomes a huge factor at that point. We don't want to ban people who don't intend to hoax our community. If someone actually believes what they are presenting it's impossible to label them a hoaxer.

That being said, we've also seen what appears to be a "believer", and thus not a hoaxer, move straight up the line to hoaxer in a matter of a few posts. When the clear and irrefutable evidence is presented and the "believer" starts changing their story or simply never responds to it, their true intent becomes self evident.

One of the trickier parts of managing a community like this is the lack of body language, eye contact, etc... all the things that we rely on to get a sense of the honesty of the person we are talking to.

Just as satire is sometimes misunderstood in this medium, it's nearly impossible to tell what someone's intentions are. That makes the Staff's job all the more complicated and explains why only site owners are responsible for labeling a thread with the dreaded ATS [HOAX] Tag.

Just because a thread is moved to the [HOAX] Forum does not mean the poster/OP/Member is considered a hoaxer. Only the threads with tag edited into their subject line are the work of hoaxers who we believe intended to hoax ATS. It's easy to get duped on YouTube (or any site), bring it here in good faith only to learn that it's a hoax. No worries for that member as their intent was not to hoax the community.

Finally, I'd like to add that I can't think of a single hoaxer who actually pulled it off, our membership is way too sharp.

Springer...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Actually we are absolute about HOAXERS... They are banned at the moment it is determined their intent was to hoax our community.

The problem is, everybody with half a brain knows that you can't really "ban" people. People can just waltz right back in totally unwelcome and unwanted and post like 50 more threads and 1000 more posts and even start negotiating business deals with the Staff. I'm sure the members like that aren't fooling anyone!

- coffeecups

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cupocoffee

The problem is, everybody with half a brain knows that you can't really "ban" people. People can just waltz right back in totally unwelcome and unwanted and post like 50 more threads and 1000 more posts and even start negotiating business deals with the Staff. I'm sure the members like that aren't fooling anyone!

- coffeecups

Sure, they can.

They will be caught as Springer said. We do a good job at picking apart the posters who aren't here for the community but for the trolling. They usually act jus the same, regardless of the name they post under.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by cupocoffee

- coffeecups

Sure, they can.

They will be caught as Springer said. We do a good job at picking apart the posters who aren't here for the community but for the trolling. They usually act jus the same, regardless of the name they post under.

~Keeper

You are only as unique as your posting style.

Or your IP...

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Sure, they can.

They will be caught as Springer said. We do a good job at picking apart the posters who aren't here for the community but for the trolling.

Right.

Well you don't have to worry about me, I'm all about the community. This is my favorite site of all time and I love everybody here, well most people anyway!

- coffeecups

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks for the additional information. It is much appreciated. However for the sake of clarity I'd like to point out a Hoax here where ATS was actually complicit.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

An alleged Obama Kenyan Birth Certificate was clandestinely sent to a few key members and one of them posted it. It was not vetted before it was sent. It was subsequently determined to be a fake and the thread declared "Political Fraud." The thread continued over a hundred pages and lasted weeks. During the sometimes harsh ensuing scrutiny toward OP, it was eventually divulged that the fake document had been provided by ATS.

I will NEVER forget that calamity and to this day question the manner in which it was handled. IMO, it was a dark day for ATS. So pardon me if I remain a tad skeptical.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cupocoffee

Cupocoffee.....

I've "seen" the owners & some of our members quickly figure out when troublemakers have re-registered under a different name (or several different names).

They're pretty sharp

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
They're pretty sharp

Oh I know, ATS members are some of the smartest people in the world, that's why I love this site! Like I said, this is my favorite site of all time!

- coffeecups

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Oh sometimes I get the impression too that some members like to change their handle periodically because they start getting too famous in real life and too many people know who they are. I don't know about the rest of you but I sure don't really want Hollywood making action-satire films about me! I just want to be left alone, you know?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cupocoffee

You can't "change your handle", you can only make another account, which I believe is against the rules...

As far as famous people go, the only one I know of is Mr Williams, and in his case, maybe an alt account would be acceptable, given the # he had to put up with.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Hey Springer, would you agree there's a BIG difference between POSTING a hoax, and creating a HOAX thread?

I mean the very nature of conspiracy means that we're all going to get fooled from time to time, but as long as the poster acts in good faith and isn't knowingly trying to trick us, I think a little leniency is usually given.

What do you reckon mate?

Kiwi

[edit on 25-4-2010 by kiwifoot]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have a question for the management team & the mods.

What is the policy regarding members advertising / promoting their own websites & business on ATS?

Here is an example wherein a member appears to be doing this in his signature.

Edit by Maybe...maybe not to add:

The member in question has just removed the link in his signature, after being accused in the thread of trolling to get hits on his website.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Hello admins.

Hi, long time no see.

I'm just asking.

In one of my older threads that has relevance to some of the latest threads and posts, A large amount of my previously and apparently still active links get redirected back to ATS?

Any ideas or explanation?

Definitive Back Engineered Alien Technology Research thread

HELP?~!

Second, why wasn't I notified of the change?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If you are talking about TinWiki links, that's because TinWiki no longer exists as such.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Can anyone remember when they said the New & Improved ATS was going to be launched? I thought they said end of April!!

(wipes drool from mouth and takes a much needed sedative!!)

I can't wait!!!! It's killing me!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Yeah !

I'm with Kiwifoot.

It's killing me
What happened ?

new topics

top topics

<< 223  224  225    227  228  229 >>

join