It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 217
<< 214  215  216    218  219  220 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
EDIT AS I READ IT WRONG

Also edit to add: I've heard about this problem for as long as i have been a member here but hopefully an answeer will come up soon or atleast when we move to the new ATS this won't be a problem for members.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

A code (matrix-like) glitch, if you will.

Your best bet is to merely save those you wish to keep and then empty your inbox.

The red U2U button will go away.

*sometimes U2Us get sent with improper case-sensitive usernames. that ot to multiple individuals at the same time. either will prove cause for the red U2U staying "lit".

Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That's exactly what i thought as well but he says this.......

My U2U button is always red and I cannot access anything in my inbox. I just get redirected to the home page when I click on the red U2U.

That's why i had to edit my post.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Hello 12m8keall2c,

I would indeed follow your instructions but I cannot access the in-box. I cannot access anything related to messaging from my account. Not from member tools or the red button.

- UP -

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Several other members have had the problem of inaccessible U2U's over the last couple months.

You might check out this thread for a couple ideas about how to solve the problem.

There was another thread I remember with more complete instructions; I'll try and find it and add it here. But that thread should give you a couple things to check out:

1) make sure that your browser and firewall are set to allow third-party cookies from ATS

2) if you use Firefox, use their advanced configurations to set the "network.http.sendRefererHeader" value to 2

Hope that helps

edit to add: the specific thread I was looking for seems to have been moved to the staff forum for investigation.

[edit on 3/19/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Use/Try this link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

* a word of caution to those who may not be experiencing the same situation, this Will delete All inbox messages. !

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Okay. I used internet explorer and I AM able to get into the in-box. Deleted and saved some old U2U's. Used your link provided as well. Still not able to access from firefox. It seems I cannot access my member account settings either.

I allowed 3rd party cookies. I tried doing the "about:config" and that doesn't work.

At loss right now. Will have to check back in later. Have some tasks to complete.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Also, since you are here. Would you like to inform me on here or via U2U as to why you closed my thread? As far as I know, I brought up valid points and violated no T&C's.

After this U2U issue is resolved, that is my next issue I want to bring up (not the thread in question but 404 vs. closed thread).

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

This won't be much help, but I'm on Firefox and am not having any issues. It has to be something somewhere in your settings, otherwise everyone using Firefox (and that would be a LOT of people here) would be having the same issues.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
With my limited knowledge I suggest dumping your cookies and cache.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

Okay. I used internet explorer and I AM able to get into the in-box. Deleted and saved some old U2U's. Used your link provided as well. Still not able to access from firefox. It seems I cannot access my member account settings either.

I allowed 3rd party cookies. I tried doing the "about:config" and that doesn't work.

At loss right now. Will have to check back in later. Have some tasks to complete.

Those are the only solutions I remember seeing when other people were complaining about the same issues. You might try posting a thread in the BTS Computer Help Forum to see if anyone else has any suggestions or ideas?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Those aspects or issues were hopefully and adequately addressed in the closing post. If not, then Please feel free to discuss individual concerns via the Complaint/Suggestions feature in the Member Center.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I did form a complaint and sent it in (although I do not know how far it will get as far as consideration).

Just to let you know, my intentions were not to stir debate of a previous thread, but to discuss the topic of "404 vs. closing thread". The thread I stated was merely an introductory example to get things rolling. It was my last experience with 404ing so I used it.

I created that thread to hear others' opinions and to hopefully let all of ATS staff know that some ATS members do not appreciate 404ing and that merely 'closing a thread' is less of a slap in the face.

When you closed my thread, without stating how I violated any rules or T&C, it was unjustified and at the time seemed like a 'knee-jerk' reaction.

Please reconsider what I posted with this in mind.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Have you got java enabled?

Springer...

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Well, I have the "no-script" add-on for Firefox but I allow everything for ATS. But that is Javascript..

I did not see anything about enabling Java in the Firefox options, and even looked it up and apparently that feature is gone now. I will look some more just to be sure.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Go up to Tools, click and choose Options. It's under Content.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yes. I did that. Springer said Java. From what I read, Java and Javascript are different.

I have never changed the settings on Firefox or anything. This just happened. Kind of confused but for now I will just go to IE to check my U2U's.

Thanks for the help though.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm not sure this is the most appropriate thread to request a potential feature for the site revamp, but since it stems (as per usual) from a personal 'issue' I post it here for appropriately named posterity.

When we click on a particular forum thread list we have the options of sorting the results by either 'replies' or 'last post.' Though there is a category for 'flags' it isn't an active link. That is to say we presently cannot sort forum threads by flag count.

I realize that flag count isn't always indicative of a thread's inherent value, nevertheless when I am delving into a new subject, I think it would be a relatively easy and useful tool to be made available to us so we can identify which threads on a specific forum our fellow members have found the most interest in.

For example if I decided to take a leap into Cryptozoology, I would love to start by reading those threads which my fellow members have deemed most engaging. Like I said, not as the sole evaluative indicator, but in conjunction with others and my own critical thinking such as it may be.

Not a major thing mind you, just a humble request.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I'm giving this thread a quick bump (To the recent posts page) as I think it's a good point that's made and certainly something I’d myself like to see happen at least as making the flag button an active link (much like ATS has done with “replies” and “last post”) would definitely be a positive step as it would give us easy access to some of the best threads seen on ATS. (as chosen by the members in the form of a flag)

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I realize that flag count isn't always indicative of a thread's inherent value

After lots of experience with the flagging of threads... mostly from writing code that displays flagged threads... I can say that once a thread achieves more than 50 flags, the higher the flag count, the more the thread represents a topic that's important to the community.

Threads with less than 50 flags are certainly still valuable, but that tends to be the zone in which gratuitous and/or knee-jerk flagging may have more influence.

There are methods in the new design to see both high-flagged, and high-replied threads in each forum. Our ATS 2010 timeline has expanded a bit as we're working on a top-secret video project... more on that when it's no longer secret.

top topics

<< 214  215  216    218  219  220 >>

join