It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 186
<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

We won't be going down that dark alley again... We are discussing the possibilities with the senior staff and whatever we end up with will be the absolute last and final time we deal with this. (How many times have I said that?
)

Believe us when we say we KNOW it's an important topic, it's a topic that truly needs the attention of the astute and extremely observant membership of ATS.

Sadly, every single attempt (and there have been many) in the past has ended up with the worst possible outcomes. It's not about "profits", it's about sustainability... If the site loses its revenue then there is no site. Allowing one topic to destroy the ability of discussing and examining all the others is simply ludicrous.

It's a monumental challenge for us to find a way that works and it's a challenge we are, once again, and for the last time, taking on.

As Bill said, with everything else on our plate at the moment we can't predict when we will have (or not have) a solution so patience is requested.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Cheers for the reply Springer.

May i ask why we can't discuss it in a limited area then?

Where ONLY trusted members (i.e one's who have proved that they are not trolls or time wasters) can discuss it maturely.

Newbies won't even see it, so you won't have to worry about 'stoner stories' and valued members will be less likely to cause trouble knowing that this is a limited access area with privileges. Don't even mention it on the main boards, so nobody would know of its existence.

Maybe a password locked area?

Just a few constructive thoughts. I do appreciate the replies and discussion on this thread, it has put my mind at rest somewhat.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Incidentally why doesn't ATS consider a donation area, for upkeep of the site?

It works on other popular forums

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Take it easy mate no where in my post did I demand you roll out what ever you are working on straight away . I don't really see why you need to bite my head off when all I am doing is trying to offer some encouragement and show a desire to avoid past failings .

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Why not just create a special type of Thread where all new posts have to be approved (or refused) by a Mod before they make it into the actual thread?

This way if you have say a thread about Hemp, if any stoner-trollz or corporate-schill-sockpuppet-identities come in and attempt to derail the thread, their posts would get filtered out of the thread before anyone even sees them.......

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Incidentally why doesn't ATS consider a donation area, for upkeep of the site?

Our technology "upkeep" is rather significant, and growing now that we're on a rather sophisticated cluster of web and database servers, with a high bandwidth content delivery network and third party tech firm keeping it all running smoothly. We currently service more bandwidth per-day than we did for entire months in 2007. As a result, the typical donations received would not make much of a dent.

The most effective "donation" any member can make is their best efforts to post quality content.

Also, to add, in my experience with online communities (which dates back to the 1980's), donations from participants tends to create an unintentional divide within the community between those who are able to provide funds and those who cannot. That potential scenario is not what ATS is about.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Does the number of posters in any way contribute to making profit?

I heard something about that, but I wasnt sure if that was an accurate statement?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Does the number of posters in any way contribute to making profit?

First... that assumes there is profit.

Second... only in so far as new content is being generated. However, these days, actual traffic is about 90% non-members/guests, and they receive more ads than logged-in members. So in reality, a fair guess is that about 96% of our monthly advertising income is from the people who come to see what our members write. That's why I've always said the most effective "donation" is your best threads and posts.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
However, please be aware (and reassured) that we are currently discussing this amongst ourselves (as of now, just the senior staff), and may allow some discussions in this topic area in our "Really Above Top Secret" forum, or some other (yet to be named) limited access forum. I just can't predict or promise a timeframe.
I hope we get this sorted out soon, I had one thread trashed some time agon and I have not made a new thread this weak because I knew that it would have the same end.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm a little confused about this topic. I understand the TC re what subjects can and cannot be discussed, in this case (reading between the lines) it seems to be about recreational drug use and threads about government trading in drugs that are de-railed by recreational drug users (stoners). Are we saying that any thread that has the possibilty of de-railment due to its subject matter (ie government involvement in drug running) are banned ?

I ask because obviously we have the situation at the moment where a drug tzar has been sacked by the UK government and other scientists are walking out in support. These news stories seem to be being sunk at the moment so obviously something else is going on in the background.

It is something i would like to discuss ( i posted these images on here a while ago www.flickr.com... www.flickr.com... as a tongue in cheek comment) and with the re-opening of the Lockerbie investigation into CIA drug running and the drugs that were found after the crash this is quite obviously something that will, if allowed, be raising its head shortly. It's going to be a big story here in the UK and i imagine will also include heroin production in Afganistan.

if i'm missing the point here somewhere then i apologise. Obviously i wont be starting any threads about lockerbie or the scientist sacking until you either yay or nay it.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok I have another excessivly important issue to address. OK you can all cease and dissist immediatly what you are doing and pay attention.
My Peanut Butter Jelly Time is frozen, he doesn't dance anymore...does this happen for anyone else?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

must be you... he's doin his dance from this end..

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

OK many thanks friend, the rest of you can all stop panicking and crying, and go back about your days....

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wobbly Anomaly
I'm a little confused about this topic. I understand the TC re what subjects can and cannot be discussed, in this case (reading between the lines) it seems to be about recreational drug use and threads about government trading in drugs that are de-railed by recreational drug users (stoners).

You've just about got the crux of it I think.

But the most important substance is actually hemp which is NOT actually a recreational drug, though its sister-plant is.

And as is the way of many things on ATS, the "stoner-trollz" may be more than what they first appear to be. (corporate sockpuppet-identities protecting vested interests?)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Did we just all have a connection break or was it just mine?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nope... I had it as well. Some coding work, I surmise.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Egads!!!

Don't get me wrong, I dig Robbie's style and his music ...

But I've already Robbie-Rolled myself three times with those side thingies.

I do get lost in his heavenly gaze though ... so there that.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Okay, am i missing something here with the background image link to his latest CD, is this just a marketing campaign or is something else happening.

If it is a marketing campaign then i guess tens of millions pounds are simply not enough these days.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I do get lost in his heavenly gaze though ... so there that.

What did you say...?

I was...lost....

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Indeed!

Yikes, the haunting eyes ... they burn!

Seriously, how are all the ladies supposed to focus on da threadz if they're looking at the Robster (and Shock to a lesser degree) all the time?

Sheesh, I've already bought seventeen copies of the album ....

new topics

top topics

<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join