It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 128
<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Except for the fact that flag-worthy flags don't always get flagged, and flag-unworthy threads often do get flagged. If it's quality based, make it applause based.

But it doesn't matter.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
People, People. Calm down. Bill is trying to help us find Top CONTENT Contributors and people who know what they are talking about. I personally agree with Bill on this one. I liked all the systems, but there really are people with, whats the word, insecruities. We need to chill and realize that their will always be a ranking system of sorts. There are ranking systems everywhere, get over it and stop posting here and go to the boards and forums that you love the most and start CONTRIBUTING there instead of arguing with Bill.

Peace,
~TheMythLives

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

If it's threads you want, then it's threads you shall have.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Good job SO, I am personally sorry that you and the other staff have had to deal with this. I agree with everything you said and am glad you took a stronger tone about it.
Hopefully now this issue can be closed and we can all move on.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So those of us who discuss topics and post replies are not considered contributors? The threads wouldnt be anything without the member base posting well thought out talking points about the subjects. Its the members who discuss the topics who are responsible for the wonderful content of this site, not the guy constantly spamming every conspiracy, news, ufo, or any other kind of story he can find.

I would much rather have a decent amount of GOOD threads then a whole bunch of sensationalized crap just to get flags. Looks like thats what ATS is pushing for though.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It does appear the various indicators were becoming a distraction in some ways. I suspect most folks will just be happy with a system that's clear and settled. Barring occasional tweaks.

No harm in the debate itself, but it looks like this final, simple, back-to-basics approach could actually clear the air & promote interesting OPs.

It's not perfect, but the admin went the second mile to try and perfect the system, only to be shouted down - or at least that's how they felt reading SO's last post.

I feel the need to chill out. I dare say the amigos do too.

Thank goodness for BTS.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

We are a social content community, a descriptor that aptly defines that we're much more than a simple discussion board.

Popular discussion boards survive on rapid-fire posts and free-form involvement... actual content is secondary to user-involvement.

Social content communities survive on new ideas and interesting thread-starters... actual content inspires the user-invovement.

It's an important difference. A difference that makes us proud. A difference that (hopefully) inspires thoughtful posts. A difference that can be intellectually stimulating.

But... those who create the noticeable content that drives the community forward deserve our special recognition, thanks, and honor. And most important, it matters not if you agree with their topics, politics, beliefs, or opinions... these are the members that inspire our thoughts and voluntary recognition through flags... we should all value their contributions and take pleasure in seeing a full-blue indicator.

A little about the new flag indicators.

Your indicator will be blank until you receive 50 flags. After that, each notch to the right is worth another 50 flags. The system reaches maximum at 1,750 flags, where any amount over that has no effect on the indicator.

Thanks for that. It helps me to view it in it's proper context as a social site and just relax. I won't be so nervous about starting threads.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by elfie]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

First of all you jumbled what I meant, then fumbled and jumbled again. What I meant was that, there are better contributors than others, thats being honest there are. Their are some poor contributors who like to BS and make up stories. Without some sort of system we would never be able to tell them apart. It lets us know who is experienced and in sorts offers us a role model to look up to.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
In a shocking turn of events, I find myself perfectly at peace with the new bars, since they turned blue (the red was a bit startling).

I think it's a really good call to simplify issues and just be straightforward about what they are trying to reward and encourage: starting threads that get a lot of attention. That's an understandable thing for the site to want to do, and I think that fact was getting obscured in the systems that tried to combine posts, stars, and flags all into one metric.

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd love to see the applause-based rewards come back, but I can understand that focusing on staff-rewarded applause could be confusing to newcomers who might see it as being some sort of officially determined matter (leading to accusations of bias and favoritism).

I'd also love to see the cryptic old bars come back somewhere, just so that if I'm ever laid up for a month or two I can focus on determining just exactly what went into producing the exact colors and lengths. (I know AshleyD came close, but I've heard rumors that her explanation wasn't quite perfect.)

edit: okay, I just saw that I have a flag bar too, even though I only have 25 flags? I thought they were going to start at 50? No longer completely at peace, I wonder if we could have an option in the store for turning off the flag-bar?

[edit on 6/1/2009 by americandingbat]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

But... those who create the noticeable content that drives the community forward deserve our special recognition, thanks, and honor. And most important, it matters not if you agree with their topics, politics, beliefs, or opinions... these are the members that inspire our thoughts and voluntary recognition through flags... we should all value their contributions and take pleasure in seeing a full-blue indicator.

And to those who create quality replies, receive applauses for their wonderful talking points, and strive to make a valid argument prevail over mindless ignorance? Who cares. This is about spamming content, not discussing it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I actually thought the old point system did a GREAT job at displaying who was a worthwhile contributor - for BOTH the thread starters as well as the people discussing the threads. This new system does not recognize my ability to form well thought arguments and responses, only threads threads threads.

So because I dont post many threads, but ALWAYS discuss and debate, I will never have the chance to become known as a great poster? See, this system only caters to the people who will spend all their time creating threads and no time at all actually debating. What would ATS be without the great community debating the subjects? Nothing at all.

Next they will be totally removing the discussion aspect and turning this into a news wire, or at least that seems what they are pushing for.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by deadline527]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So what level or point spread does one need to be able to offer applause? I received applause via U2U and didn't even know such a thing existed. I try to start posts that are interesting to me. If no one else thinks so, it becomes obvious right away. No one can know what is trendy or interesting to everyone. Its hit or miss. The points system (I thought) is a way to guage the interest level of participants at any given timespan.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Appreciate all the work you put in trying to come up with some sort of system to thank contributors, but that won't tick other people off.

This newest one in place looks fine to me, but obviously, from reading a few of the posts above, you will NEVER be able to please everybody!

Two thumbs up for you!

[edit on 6/1/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Only staff members (mods, admins) can give out applause.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Staff members and Forum Subject Matter Experts.......Members or mods that have been deemed highly knowledgeable in a field on ATS (UFO FSME, Crypto FSME, Space FSME, etc) Both are worth 500 points.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Well stop arguing here and go and actually earn some points my friend. Create threads off your posts. Come up with ideas, post about what you like to learn about. If you want to debate, become a fighter.

Catering does not matter, it makes you strive for something. Makes you GET INVOLVED. Now go and rejoice for you have heard the good news.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Oh please. SO just told you that he is not going to be convinced that flags do not equal quality.

IMO:

Flags can mean overall importance of the thread, relative to the other subjects on the board.

Flags can also mean content quality, thought provoking, and pertinence.

Maybe it's high time we ALL started discussing seriously what flags should mean to people, and come up with a general consensus on what threads we should flag. And on this, I have some suggestions:

A multipoint system to determine whether to flag it. If more than 50% of this criteria is met, then flag it. If not don't, that simple.

1) Is well sourced
2) Is well formatted, with proper grammar and spelling.
3) Is extremely urgent (as in Israel just nuked Iran)
4) Is strong within it's context
5) Authors opening comments are not one liners, and offer insight not included in the original source
6) In the case of totally original content with no external links, overall presentation quality makes sense to you.
7) Presents critical new news or additional information on subjects that matter to you.

Meet 4 of those 7, and to me it is worth a flag.

This is intended to open further discussion on what we can all agree upon to flag. Maybe then this can finally be put to rest.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Oh legit! Did not know FSMEs could applaud. So funny how I still don't know everything, right?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Staff members and Forum Subject Matter Experts.......Members or mods that have been deemed highly knowledgeable in a field on ATS (UFO FSME, Crypto FSME, Space FSME, etc) Both are worth 500 points.

I think FSME applause is 1000 points.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Agreeable points. I think that would even out some of the counterfeit threads. But it is what it is now, we should all just chill and be happy-lest SO shut down the site or ban us all!! LOL, really though we should just leave the guy alone, he is trying, so is the rest of the staff.

new topics

top topics

<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join