It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 123
<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I'm considering alternatives.

My input -

It was fine the way it was.

Just leave the points and post number under the persons name.

No need for titles.

Stars, flags and applause can be found on the person's profile.

Since you are considering alternatives ...

CAN WE HAVE WATS BACK??

Just thought I'd ask.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Pamie

Pamie, I totally agree with you hun...I'm in a similar situation, although not a single parent, I don't have time to research and start threads that I have to babysit for and reply to endlessly. I *hated* the last system...the bronze thingies and all that. Just far too judgemental for me, and I have to confess that I went on a self-inposed sulky posting ban for a week or two. To label someone as aware or critical just because of number of posts or flags says nothing about who they really are, and makes huge assumptions about others who don't have those levels.

I'm not sure I like the new system any more...it's too easy to manipulate and get flags for trashy tabloid threads that don't mean anything, but are full of propaganda and arguments, which do nothing to enhance the reputation of ATS.

The only fair system...in my opinion...has been partially removed....the star system on ATS and BTS....it means that we can mark the posts, and not just the threads that we like, and the total stars for a poster would show how well received their contributions are.

Keep it simple. Stars are all we need, and everything else smacks of heirarchy.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I couldn't disagree more with that.
I think becoming a moderator has gone to your head.
The new systems are judgemental of & patronising to many, many people on this site.
You will lose MANY members if you guys don't leave well enough alone & dump this new stuff.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Quite simply, when the children don't play nice, and fight, whine, and throw tantrums over the toys given....
You take them away until they learn to have more appreciation, or learn how to have fun without them.
I need not say more.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I don't understand what you mean.
What do you mean?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Totally agree.

I don't get this "reward" attitude all of a sudden.

People flag and star stuff they like....it's simple.

But i think many members who don't make threads and that don't crave for attention and recognition... are far better than those who start 5 threads a day, that are just literally for numbers and have no relevance or appeal to them.

I prefer those who are happy to come on here and share ideas and talk to like minded people, without having to butt-kiss or to have to be constantly praised or rewarded.... THOSE to me....are decent ATS members.

Not someone who is so preoccupied on being colour-coded, labeled, filed into a neat little category... just to earn their next little status symbol.I think it's completely counterproductive to keep pushing these rewards and "achievements" as the way to be a good member here.

Why anybody would want or need anything other than the respect and friendship of other members on here is beyond me.

It's like being back at school or something.... being in a competition.

It's pathetic and very detrimental to ATS IMO.

Ah well.....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
*Sigh*.... MORE pages and pages of complaining....

What is the problem with just having an option to turn the ranking indicators off?

Have a bar for all the major indicators - Applause, Flags, Stars, Posts - but also have an option to turn them off. That way all the complainers who "hate" the new indicators, can simply turn them off!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm personally not that keen on the new flag system. I think ATS just got it right and now they've changed it!

IRM

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I still am not seeing why we are being judged on flags? I hate the flag system, but apparently am being judged by it?

Just bring back the bar... make the bar obviously affected by applause, stars, flags if you must and post count..

The last bar never really changed colors based on those things.

Or go back to the system before this contributor thing... I only saw one person angry enough about me being not religious enough to have godlike while being a silver member lol.

Main point... flags are the worst way to show contribution and quality.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I didn't think that the wheel could possibly get any rounder. Why bother with these new ranking systems? The former points system was clear and simple.

I was actually getting used to the contributor ranking along with the points display. Thumbs down to this new flag coloring thing- a -ma- jig.

Please don't make this site like Facebook.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
i am watching the badging over a couple of weeks now and yet don.t get the real purpose.

i have read that it was to say thank you to well contributing ats-members.
nice idea - in my lightweight opinion the "contribute in a certain way and we will take the ads away" as the 250/250/250 system was – was a nice way!

but the system has changed recently so often that i am really able to catch up anymore on which level we are meanwhile!

why changing it so often and so hastly?
this is something i don.t understand … and please dear fellow members don.t tell me that it is because some people are whinning, that can.t be the real reason.

some changes ar anounced bombastically with mass u2us and huge threads, others – like the recent one – are done more through the backdoor by announcing alternatives with a side note.

and for those who keep whining about the whining people: that is human nature – mankind is never really satisfied. and usually it is a good thing, that makes us to creat visions and change the world

and we are educated to look at the silver stars and golden smilies or what ever our teachers, parents and other authorities give us to say "hey hon well done"

later on in life we judge each other by our bank account, clothing, cars or what ever we got.
and those who say: "i don.t really care about flags, stars, points, money, cars, girls, guys, houses or what ever" – just lie to themselves.
maybe you don.t care about points, but you care about something!
something out there motivates you to work, to live, to breath, to contribute to ats.

people who say money isn.t important are usually those who have a tremendous amount of it or really nothing – but those between 0 and much they care!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

We are not children. Some of may be child like on occasions, but to treat us like children, and dish out or take away the sweeties as you see fit is immature in itself, and I for one do not respond to that.

I really like MajorDisaster's idea of opting out of any kind of ranking system, even if it cost points. I suggested this in a thread before, but it didn't go anywhere. If there absolutely has to be a ranking system, then we need to be democratic enough to allow people to opt out, if they so wish. I know, I know....this is a private site, and we don't pay the bills....but we are not children, and if we are to be encouraged to be part of a community, we need to be given the respect of having at least a few options, besides clearing our profiles and leaving, which is what I've seen happen a few times recently.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
You guys wanna know something? I got the majority of my flags off of One Ron Paul post. Thats it. Over 50 flags from that one post. That was during last years election and the Ron Paul mania. I post other breaking news articles, I write a short bit of outrage on the foreign aid we are still giving away in these tough economic times, I write a few short stories but nothing ever got a flag like the time I wrote about Ron Paul... And I did not write much about it.

So its a new system... so what... The ATS men are just trying to make this whole experience more enjoyable for us all.... trying to add some kind of positive zing.

I DO THINK that at some point you can reach "good enough" and one aught not fix what aint broken. Still people like varity too I suppose...

and is anyone else scared of the influx of Noobs we are about to get thanks to the C2C appearance. I did not actually get to listen to it as no AM stations in my area carry it (the radio jerks) and on a 56K connection streaming is not a reality... But how was it... GOOD I hope... but oh the noobs ... I know we all were noobs at one point...

I still think a poll should be run for the members to see if they prefer public points or private points...

And the ATS MIX show is going irregular NOOOOO still It will be good to have it back!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Couldn't have put it better myself, hunny....it does feel like being back at school a bit, and I hated school for the most part. I'm just not that competitive, and it feels kinda wrong and manipulative to make us be that way. And labels.....I bleedin' *HATE* labels!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I just wanted to say one more thing before I'm off to work.

I've read through the last few pages and see some wonderful points being made. You are all a smart bunch of people and are the reason I'm staying around.

I want to get back to my original point...appreciation.

When I star or flag a post/thread it is my way of saying, "I like that. I appreciate you."

When someone stars or flags one of my posts/threads I feel appreciated.

I do not care about a rank or status.

When I joined, I never thought of flags and stars as status. I saw them as a way to let my fellow members know that they are appreciated for what they said or the information they brought to the table.

Can we just go back to that?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
reply to post by blupblup

Couldn't have put it better myself, hunny....it does feel like being back at school a bit, and I hated school for the most part. I'm just not that competitive, and it feels kinda wrong and manipulative to make us be that way. And labels.....I bleedin' *HATE* labels!!!
I have to agree with this. It's like some kind of "mine's bigger than yours" competition going on. Pitching folk against eachother for points of nothingness on the internet, which ultimatly mean not a dot.

if a thread is intersting, it will generate replies with or without a flag system. I liked the old flag system, that wasn't so bad, because you could see what threads people are bang into, and which threads are generating alot of thought and interesting replies. (a big thread with no flags, is more likely to be ignored by me, unless my curiosity gets the better of me)

it just feels so much like being back at school. We used to have this retarded sticker thing, for good attendance and stuff. It segregated the kids in school to such a pint, that truancy went UP, it had the reverse effect of what it was trying to do (shame kids into coming to school) instead it made people social outcasts. It's wrong and slightly twisted.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Agreed. I remained silent through the last round of changes, but I was labeled Apprentice because I had less than 50 flags in spite of my 700+ stars and 1200+ posts. I accepted that and pledged to myself to try to START a few more threads OF SUBSTANCE in hopes of balancing those scales a bit. Now it seems fruitless... even if I got to the magical threshold of 50 flags, I'd probably have the tiniest sliver of red on the new bar, if that. (Only 9 flags because the Secret Societies forum doesn't have a FSME and our mods have forsaken our forum.)

[edit on 6/1/2009 by JoshNorton]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

An FSME is not going to result in any more flags being applied to your threads. And I'm not sure why you say that the staff has foregone that forum.

NOTICE:
This forum is for the discussion and speculation of conspiracy theories, scandals, secrets, cover-ups and related historical events involving secret societies and related groups. PARTICIPANTS MUST BE AWARE THIS FORUM IS UNDER RENEWED, VERY-CLOSE STAFF SCRUTINY. Discussion topics and follow-up responses in this forum will likely tend to lean in favor of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups. Members who would seek to refute such theories should be mindful of AboveTopSecret.com's tradition of focusing on conspiracy theory, cover-ups, and scandals.

That's located in the SS forum. It is one of our more active forums and at times one of our more volatile forums.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Agreed. I remained silent through the last round of changes, but I was labeled Apprentice because I had less than 50 flags in spite of my 700+ stars and 1200+ posts. I accepted that and pledged to myself to try to START a few more threads OF SUBSTANCE in hopes of balancing those scales a bit. Now it seems fruitless... even if I got to the magical threshold of 50 flags, I'd probably have the tiniest sliver of red on the new bar, if that. (Only 9 flags because the Secret Societies forum doesn't have a FSME and our mods have forsaken our forum.)

[edit on 6/1/2009 by JoshNorton]

Sorry for being noobish! but what a heck is a FSME?

*FlyingSquirrelModeratorExperience*

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Quite simply, when the children don't play nice, and fight, whine, and throw tantrums over the toys given....
You take them away until they learn to have more appreciation, or learn how to have fun without them.
I need not say more.
Problem is... we aren't children. And the reasons we adults came here was to be able to express ideas that the "authorities" and "parental type figures" wouldn't allow us to. The people who navigate toward ATS are those who don't like the mainstream BS and question those in authority. ATS has been excersizing a little too much control over us lately and treating us like children. When rebellion, change, revolt, apostasy, defiance, disobedience, dissent, heresy, insubordination, insurgence, insurgency, insurrection, nonconformity, revolution, rising, schism, uprisings happen they act a little irritated with us. Take our toys away? Thing is.... we are used to having that happen. Games?
Did we come here to play more games? Even the crazy dumb ass threads are one of the selling points of ATS. We have a place to express. Even anger is part of that process. As is humor and shock and whatever else we seek out in the expression of alternative views. Tantrums and fights are part of the process of change. Whining too.

new topics

top topics

<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join