It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 122
<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

What I don't do is walk around shaking my bag of stars and say:: Ooo lookie there! A flag fell out!

Nice one!

Glad we are moving into humor now.

We all need a smile before the show is over.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

OK granted you are right there.

But I dont get too upset about it. There are many great posts that go unseen sometimes. I've always chalked that up to bad timing. For example my new thread as you pointed out came out right as the NKorea issue started and those threads were getting all the hits. Despite it all I still got a few flags and stars.

A good thread will still score decently.

Just bad timing is all.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Indeed.

I think all my posts in this thread are indicative of is that I love ATS too much.

I worry about wanting to see the quality improve. I just think that a flag-only bar is a bad incentive for posters to strive for that quality.

Hopefully most members don't need an incentive at all.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Your right, it seems timing is all important. Take this thread for example. Even though it is as detailed as others I have done it has not got nearly as many s&f's as others. Timing I think is a major player. If not well timed it well get lost.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Okay can someone refer me to how to get rid of a u2u alert that wont go away?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Maybe they could give the UFO and Alien forum their own scoring system, seeing as how many people seem to be on planet 9 over there.

Give all the aliens 100,000 flags so that we know that we know who has lost touch with reality and who is sane.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

delete or save the last couple of messages that usually does it for me.,

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Okay situation resolved, thanx slayer!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow! I've never felt so unappreciated by ATS as I do now. Let me clearly say that I feel unappreciated by ATS and not by the ATS members.

I am not much of a thread starter. I'm a single mom and (as my profile states), I cannot always keep track of threads I start. It's best for me not to start a thread (just for the flags as it is now) and then disappear. That would be wrong.

I do, however, feel that I am a CONTRIBUTOR! I post replies to others' threads. I do care about ATS. I am grateful that other people have the time to research and find wonderful information to bring to ATS where I can read and CONTRIBUTE!

So, to rate me solely on my ability to be a flagged contributor is really an insult.

When you changed to the newer rating system, I did not like that much either because I saw how it might create decent. However, it did seem more fair as it seemed to take into account a persons stars, flags, and length of membership. I was a little annoyed, but I kept quite.

Now, this new system not only makes me feel like a low-life non-contributor, but it will only encourage lame, titillating, exaggerated threads by members trying to become "contributors"--Flagged Contributors.

And think of the double posts. Think it was bad before? Why do a search when there's a race to be first to post.

You know, I don't want to play stupid games.

I'm not changing.

I know the members on ATS will let me know if they like my post even if there are no stars. Even if I'm not a Flagged Contributor.

But, I am a contributor.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
When I came here today and got a look at my avatar I was so frightened!!! I have a BIG RED FLAG.......its red and it says flag......I figured I must be in big do do around here. It sure does not resemble something that is telling folks Im doing a good job, just the opposite IMO....looks like something to WARN folks off anything I might be saying.
Oh well.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
But I should point out that everything is subjective.

I have once created a thread that has had zero flags, zero stars and even zero replies; yet the OP was applauded for being a thought out post.

Yet another one in which I clearly criticized a MSM fluff piece had 18 replies (the majority negative and somewhat directly insulting), had a person remind other members on the terms of reading and not just reacting. That *ahem* gem did receive a flag and three stars.

By the standards of this measure, my most quality contribution to ATS has been a thread that announced my 1000th post in a humorously worded thank you to everyone. several replies, many stars, a few applause and some flags. One mod even awarded "vanity points" to bring my BTS numbers to a positive number. It was around -3400 or so at the time as I recall. So every indicator is arbitrary, if you think about it.

As far as my opinion goes, someone once said something along the lines of that "awards are for the ones that give them". Not exactly true in this case, but a profound bit of philosophy nonetheless.

Perhaps we should just focus more on what we as individuals think is a quality contribution, instead of what others or even a system that can be manipulated determines our worth to be. Sure my post count could be higher than it is, I could start more threads and receive more flags and possibly more applause than I currently have. But the reality is that I seldom write a "me too" reply. I do not often start threads meant as fluff. I even requested that the 1000th post thread be moved to BTS: humor where it belonged.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think there is consensus then that more people hate this new new system, than the old new system.

Just take a vote and be done with it, those that don't like it can take a hike away from ATS.

Vote and abide by the MEMBER results. End this once and for all.

And I had almost no chance of ever moving beyond bronze if I ever got to it, but I was happy anyways with my solid status. Nor would I ever get the sub-phrase under my name. Didn't care, what I did care about was that accurately reflected what I was doing on ATS, just like for everybody else.
[edit on 31-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
This is an interesting debate, flagged.

I think Yeahright pointed out that we still haven't lost our tags if we look at our profiles. I like the Solid, Bronze, Silver, Gold system. It was good. And like someone says, flags don't mean much. Anyone can start a North Korea or Swine flu fail-fest.

There are two ways to get a lot of flags on ATS:

1) Post informative, well thought out posts with inspiring and original content that make people question their perception of the world around them.

2) Cut and paste negative, sensationalist, fear-mongering nonsense from the MSM. Give people an oppurtunity to bloviate, extrapolate, gossip about meaningless pseudo-issues and bicker over unimportant nonsense.

Whether you decide to appeal to the higher aspects of man or the lower, there's two guaranteed ways to get flagged.

Who am I to decide what people debate? No one, but I can voice my respect for the people who make high quality threads, and my irritation with the blow-hards who start thread after thread on the latest inane drivel from the MSM.

MMS cures cancer in weeks: 2 flags

Zomg guyz a Mexican coughed on the president!!!!: 2,000000 flags

Is AIDS being used to selectively depopulate Africa? 1 flag

Is Obama the Antichrist/Lord Maitreya/Jesus/Yahweh?: Million flags

How can we work peacefully to bring about a better, more humane world? 2 flags

ZOMG look at this picture of an orange blob! 5 billion flags.

I don't really go for flags when I post a thread, I start debates that I feel are useful contributions. The above examples are made up but if you look at the archives you'll see this sort of stuff really does go on. Sensationalist nonsense often gets on the front page, and more interesting debates get sidelined.

For this reason I hope that if there is a new system that stars are included too...

What's the difference between someone who gets lots of flags but few stars, and someone who gets lots of stars but few flags? Something to ponder.

[edit on 16f20091amMon, 01 Jun 2009 01:43:25 -050025 by HiAliens]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
LOL, that new flag bar is is a real fubar, as in populism group think independent from intellect aka the dumbing down effect.

Starting to make me think of Godlike productions took over ATS and it's not even April Fool's day.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Oh wait I get it. Forget everything I said.

Now I know what's going on.

"Take me to your leader earthlings. The intersteller galatic leauge of aliens would like permission to mate with your women."

[edit on 1-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Ok, different subject..

Is there a way to upload an avatar without the file size being reduced. The image loses quality when it drops in size.

I know we are not allowed to use the main upload for images. Is there any other way around this..

Could we have an option to buy (ATS store) more / greater upload space? Would that work or help?

If someone could help me that would be great, but theres no rush. lol.

Thanks in advance,

JQ.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by John Q

Are you talking about the media portal or your personal ATS space?

The media portal has unlimited (as far as I know) space for you to upload images.

PNG format is probably the best solution. It keeps the quality at a reasonable file size.

Then you simply grab the link in the 'use as ATS avatar' box and put that in the corresponding box in your account settings.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
IMHO ATS has completely lost the plot in the manner in which members are being ranked. The rankings demean & patronise new members & trivialise their postings.
The original system of the points being displayed was fine. You could look at the points & the time registered with ATS & get a feel for the experience of the member without it being in your face. Both of these new ideas have the effect of turning ATS into a sad little clique.
If it doesn't change, I may well bail out of here.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Sam60]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sam60
The original system of the points being displayed was fine. You could look at the points & the time registered with ATS & get a feel for the experience of the member without it being in your face. Both of these new ideas have the effect of turing ATS into a sad little clique.
If it doesn't change, I may well bail out of here.

"star"

Oh, wait. No star!?!

Okay, so I'll make a post just to let you know that I agree with you, and you made your point very well.

That's all I have to say. You made a good point. I just wanted you to know that someone out there read your post and agreed.

Hum....wish there was some star system so I didn't have to waste space with a post.

"star"

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Pamie

Thanks Pamie. I really think it's doing more damage than they know.
BTW - that's a really nice avatar.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by Sam60]

new topics

top topics

<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join