It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 121
<< 118  119  120    122  123  124 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

There are many people who don't find crytpozoology interesting at all. Many members have never posted there, visited there, or flagged there.

I know foof and myself have worked hard to post thread about things that haven't been posted before, and generally they get ignored for lack of interest. Even if they are new content. The threads with lots of research may contribute to the information on this site, but they appear "dry" and boring. Whereas a new abortion thread may be identical to a previous one, and it will be blown up with flags. Or, someone will post an article that becomes a huge deal, and many people participate and flag it, while the original poster simply stops contributing and racks up the flags.

So... who wants some flags?

[edit on 5/31/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by SLAYER69

There are many people who don't find crytpozoology interesting at all. Many members have never posted there.

I know foof and myself have worked hard to post thread about things that haven't been posted before, and generally they get ignored for lack of interest. Even if they are new content.

So... who wants some flags?
I have a feeling it is going to become more popular in the coming years. Lots of new discoveries these days. ( I have never posted there)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
How about a total comprimise towards all the different achievement wanters?

Being able to choose how you see your own and other people's statistics.

That way those who want the old bar style can have it, those who want the next one can have the next one, those who want the previous one can have it and those who want non of them can do so as it will only effect they themselves and no one else. (Think of it like choosing a different forum theme or style as you can on other forums, but one designed soley around how points/ achievements are shown/ displayed)

I came to here (the site) for information, not because I wanted to achieve pretty pictures of medals or pretend currency. I don't care about my own points, post count, bar length, flags or stars...etc, let alone anyone elses. So I would prefer that anything not important be removed from the screen so there are less distractions although I don't believe it is right for what I want to be enforced on others (whether they are majority or minority) and vice verse so being able to choose how we see achievements ourselves would be the best possible solution that way those who want bars get bars, those who want medals get medals, those who want levels get levels, those who want nothing can have nothing.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

It's basically what I do with my life, where I'm going with my education.

But on this website, it's one of the least visited forums. And lots of hard work goes unnoticed.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by seagrass

It's basically what I do with my life, where I'm going with my education.

But on this website, it's one of the least visited forums. And lots of hard work goes unnoticed.
I will go check it out.
Since you are passionate about it, it seems interesting to me.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

Let me ask you a question?

Do you spend much time in those "Types" of threads? I don't and neither does the vast majority of the readers. It seems only those select few who choose to go there will.

So in the end what does it matter to you?
It doesn't prevent you from posting what you want where you want when you wont or does it?

Because if it does then that's pretty sad to allow somebody's version of entertainment to hollow out your enjoyment.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Flags aren't easy to get here. If the goal is quality, then the flags are right by high numbers about 60% of the time.

Some of the best posts I have encountered here at ATS have had little or no flags, or stars.

I'm not sure what that should tell you, but it is the truth.

I believe that people will flag threads sometimes because everyone else is, or because they read through some of the thread posts and see S&F somewhere. I've actually watched threads that have gotten double digit flag numbers in a short time, even after a post was made in that thread proving that it was a hoax.

At least you don't have an negative rating system... Yet?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

IDK about that. I just checked the Action Log. 58 applause in 2 days? Seems like content is getting recognition. Of course that will be different for different forums. That's one thing the Log doesn't show.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I believe that in the other forums, that number would be up in the hundreds.

[edit on 5/31/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I've analyzed my numbers and I believe that the only thing holding me back from "Being Aware" is more applause.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

That is EXACTLY what the log says. That's not just applause from mods but also from FSME's.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I just went to the forum and saw some good posts there. You and others do some good work there, you should be proud.

What do you want to be? A biologist?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I'd like to point out that in the crypto forum on the first page of recent posts, the thread with the most flags has 21 flags?

Whereas in ... Medical Issues... the numbers are up near 181, 105, 75... And all but one thread have at least one flag. In crypto, many threads have 0.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Zoologist and marine biologist, but my major is in human ecology and is self-designed. I think I want to do zoology/marine bio in a few years in grad school...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

That's cool, my mom was interested in Marine Biology. I think the problem with the Crypto forum is the lack of proof. I know UFOs haven't been proven but they have more than others IMO.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I enjoy the crypto threads many of those stars and flags are mine it's just that many of the boards are simply just more popular is all. I have many interests beside Crypto so I'll post in several different forums and hence get more flags and stars. it's just the nature of the beast

What I don't do is walk around shaking my bag of stars and say:: Ooo lookie there! A flag fell out!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Sometimes. But it's also a forum for mythical stuff too, although I've been working on just compiling information and research on sightings of the more unknown cryptids.

I posted some stuff about mythical plants and cryptobotany recently too. But... plants are... not as interesting as UFOs.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
All this fussing and whining seems very childish.

Now go potty, wash your face and hands and go to bed.

Things will be all better when you wake up.

Sweet dreams.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Well it sure looks like you and many others know your stuff over in that forum. I mean I kinda know how you feel about plants not being as interesting as other topics, as I like physics but that isn't as interesting to a lot of people outside of ATS or Academia.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Because if it does then that's pretty sad to allow somebody's version of entertainment to hollow out your enjoyment.

My personal enjoyment of ATS hasn't really been on the table here.

I enjoy the website regardless of how many of these faux-topics flood the front page.

The point I have been making is not about my enjoyment, but about the level of quality as a whole.

The owners seem to have been pushing lately for a rise in quality of quantity. Those threads that make you think 'how in the hell did someone do all that research'?. That is why it has disappointed me to think that they consider flags a better indicator of this.

You yourself present some of these excellent threads. Such as The New Great Game from the other day.

Sure, that awesome topic got 30 flags. Pretty good right?

A topic I won't name in the UFO forum, in the same week, had 4 lines of text and an embedded youtube video... and got over 90 flags.

How is that a fair indicator of the quality of the thread?

Yours, which had huge amounts of time spent on it and delivered something enlightening to the boards was trumped by a link to a video and an 'OMG cool'.

You mentioned enjoyment. Yeah, some of these topics that gain all the flags are enjoyable. Anything can be enjoyable, whether it is a struggle to compose or effortless.

I'm talking about acknowledging quality contributions. Flags aren't a valid indicator.

I've got no problem with people posting enjoyable content. There is always space for entertainement.

It is when the entertainment and trolling is rewarded more than the quality posts that worries me.

new topics

top topics

<< 118  119  120    122  123  124 >>

join