It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 118
<< 115  116  117    119  120  121 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

What? What is your deal? I was just making a comment, I am not going to argue with you. We all know my stance on this and that is what it is. For the record yes I think these are fine, anything will do, I am not being picky. Oh, if you weren't coming off as rude then disregard this, it appeared you were though.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by deadline527

People will also be posting more threads to try and get more flags.

And as I've learned, the more out-there, hoax threads get more attention than well-researched threads. At least in terms of flags, not applause.

Yep.

I bet by tomorrow the front page is filled with totally pointless threads due to this flagging system. Anything worth its salt will be hidden in this mess they have created.

I very rarely flag threads since very few in my opinion deserve it. But now, I guess i'll have to flag the ones that are so-so because I have a empty bar. Thats how most people are going to think.

[edit on 5/31/2009 by deadline527]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Regarding new flag graphic, what if you're colour blind?

What about having an animated graphic for points, flags, etc?

I was thinking of a UFO. If you're a n00b, it just shows a cow grazing in a field. If you're moderate contributor, it would show a UFO and cow. If you're a 'God like wisdom', then it shows a a full blown abduction with those pesky, dark, steely alien eyes winking at you.

Some of the avatars of members are awesome, and it would be a nice synergy between the two.

A picture paints a thousand words.

Just my 2c.

Edit: typo

[edit on 31-5-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadline527
reply to post by jkrog08

People will make a contest out of anything. If ATS makes it so you fill up a meter doing whatever, people will do that just to fill it up.

Any threads people normally would not flag will now be flagged so they can get their bar filled faster.

No that's not how it will work. The flag rank will be gauged by how many flags you've received on the thread you've posted.

Not by how many you flag on somebody else's threads.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It's the number of flags you get, not the number that you give. I'm pretty sure.

Which is worse, because I choose to post good replies instead of lots of threads. When I do work hard for my own thread, it goes un-noticed in terms of the flags it gets.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Your are not credited for flagging threads. You are credited by your threads that you start are flagged.

You will gain nothing by flagging threads. The author of the threads you flag will get credit.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Hi.

Question.

Why does it all matter? Can you turn your old badges in for something? Are your points really going to help you in life?

Isn't the purpose of this website to discuss alternative topics? I thought the motto was "Deny Ignorance." It seems people are more focused on stars, bars, badges, points, and other arbitrary things than they are on creating great content.

I rarely post new threads. I'm a shy person, and I'm also not that great of a writer where I can start a new thread and make it look interesting. But I like responding to what other people have posted, and weighing in on topics already under discussion. I still enjoy this site, even though I hardly ever earn the flags and big point levels and all that. And if I can still enjoy this site, anyone can, because I hate just about everything.

I don't come here to get points, flags, or any of that other stuff. I come here to Deny Ignorance. Shouldn't that be why you folks are all here, also?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

It's the number of flags you get, not the number that you give. I'm pretty sure.

Which is worse, because I choose to post good replies instead of lots of threads. When I do work hard for my own thread, it goes un-noticed in terms of the flags it gets.

Oh ok. Well at least that is better.

But I am the same as you, I usually dont have the time to post threads but I do reply to all of the ones I am interested in. So I guess if your just a poster you get the shaft, and this only applies to those who create threads constantly instead of actually discussing them. Still not a good solution in my opinion.

[edit on 5/31/2009 by deadline527]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
This isn't a sci-fi site last I heard.

You misunderstand, that is just one type of site and an example of how they rank their members.

When a post is made by a member it helps to know, how much activity that poster actually has on the site.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
(in my best Charlton Heston Voice)

ATS POINTS ARE PEOPLE...... THEY'RE P E E E E E O O O P P L L L L L E ! !

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It's ALL GOOD~

Some is just BETTER than OTHERS~

I would like to thank the Staff for going to the trouble to attempt a ground that serves all the members and works for staff as well...........

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

.....look at your profile Raven
you are bronze again YAY

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I am interested in the formula for the "flag level", NOT a big deal, just curious. I noticed that the tags and applause levels are still on the main profile as well. Many thanks to the staff once again

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

I am still lost on your "hypothetical" by the way,lol. No big deal though....

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yes ...
... my name is schrodidog, long time flagger first time shopper ....

mmm hem, I don't really "go" for the whole metalic sequent thing ...

Do you have anything in fuschia or maybe aubergine ...

Maybe in the back?

Thanks.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I remember a fingerpainting project I did in first grade. Man it was great. It was the coolest green beagle any kid ever painted.
Mrs. Hargrove gave me a silver star. Can you believe that? Silver! I was on cloud nine. (I had a crush on Miss Hargrove.)

Then came the betrayal. Jeremy Nichols got three gold stars for a picture of three birds. Can you believe that? Birds! It was all wrong. Who fingerpaints birds?

One of them had three wings. Birds don't have three wings.

Do you know why he got the gold stars and I only got one silver? Huh?

It was because he painted THREE birds. Tell me how that's relevant.
ONE beagle is way cooler than three stinking birds.

It was all wrong. It was a travesty!

I was devastated.

Then I got sent to Principal Willises office for giving Jeremy Nichols the bird.

I never got over it.
I cry when I see beagles and birds make me twitchy.

Gold stars make my teeth ache.

How could they do this to me?

I'm sorry, I can't talk any more.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

I am still lost on your "hypothetical" by the way,lol. No big deal though....

I was being hypothetical
about myself ... I read allot of threads
I can't write one... various reasons...

There are over 100,000 members and allot of lurkers.
Allot of people read the threads

They come up at the top of Google searches

You would be amazed by how many people read the content here.
...and alas nary a star and a flag from the ones that don't join.

All I can say is don't worry of the accolades,just continue producing
great threads.

As for the Tags,they really don't matter.
The real reward you receive is the joy you bring to yourself and others by making the effort, and joy is derived from within.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
WTF, not only do I not have any point. I lost my MOOD too.

So I will officially state my MOOD here and now for God and everyone to see.

HARD

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Hey I hear you I liked having a "Critical mind" I didn't want anymore applause after reaching that level.

I thought that was the coolest saying of them all.

top topics

<< 115  116  117    119  120  121 >>

join