It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 117
<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by Chadwickus

The thing is... I never heard anyone complain about the bars. People sometimes wondered what they were, but no one was like "I HATE MY BAR, THIS BAR SHOWS NOTHING, I HATE BARS."

They were a great thing.
I didn't know what they were. So now at least new people will know exactly what the bars mean and are. It's pretty obvious now. I didn't complain about the bars because I barely noticed them. Not that I would have.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It's never actually been clear to me as to why a noticeable percentage of ATS members are consistently expressing their resistance to a visible measure of community contribution in the form of appreciated posts and interesting threads... but then, then ATS is always full of surprises.

I'm considering alternatives.

Go ahead big guy.
The vast majority of the troops are behind you.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Holy smokes, I leave the house for half an hour, and the site is completely different - again!!

So I think I see where this is going:

Applause Level
Flag Contribution Level
Star Contribution Level
etc etc

Makes good sense I suppose. I thought the other system was practically perfect too. (Except for "Godlike Wisdom".)

A little link to turn all the ranking systems off for those who dislike them will help a lot too I think.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Right. I don't know if people like this better but it represents less information.

And I said awhile ago that I also thought it was less visually attractive.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

No,,please,,you are not really bringing Politics into the Star/Flag/Bar/Post count Board Issues thread are you?

I know there must be a joke I'm missing.

link   
Change is something we are getting use to no?

I think it keeps things interesting.

Anyway, I come for the content not the flags, points, stars etc.

I'm sure the site owners know what they are doing, look at what they have been able to do here?

Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Posts and threads.

Not just threads.

I think a combination system, like the bars, is the best option.

I'm sure he'll come up with something reasonable, though.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Like I said, I think the term Flag contribution Level is just something to fill in to make sure it's working properly and while they do the coding for whatever additional things will make up the overall "score" or color of the bar.

~Keeper

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If this is the road they are going to go down then at least have a troll contribution bar and make a part where we can vote if a person is behaving troll like, I have suggested it before and it would maybe prevent a lot of negative stuff being tossed around ats and make under bridge dwellers easier for the mods to spot and warn/ban

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well I guess we are going to see a HUGE increase in pointless flagging with this system. Which in my opinion totally debases the whole idea of flagging in the first place.

If you make a meter with a min and a max, people will ALWAYS try to max it out no matter what it is. If its posts, people will spam posts. If its threads, we will have so much junk threads. Now since its flags, we are going to have the most stupid threads flagged by every member which will cause any of the good threads to be hidden in this mess of mass flagging.

Thanks for making it worse. Time to start flagging (sarcasm, but thats what everybody is going to do now)

Anybody care to race to fill up the meter? I bet I can flag more stupid stuff then you.

[edit on 5/31/2009 by deadline527]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I love how the colors change towards gold as you progress, that's a cool gimmick.

"Flag Contribution Level" seems a big long-winded, maybe just shorten them to

Applause
Flags
Stars

?

Have each one as a color-changing bar, and there you go. All the indicators people would care about, all together in one little section.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I have noticed the dark gold and the white gold colors. Kinda like the whiter one is "illuminating", like the cosmic tag did.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

Could also do one for number of threads.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by jkrog08
I mean it is obvious that members who are Conspiracy Masters or FSMEs OR MODS automatically get more attention to their threads then members who are not.

Wanna bet?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's a good one intrepid, I will check this out. I am sorry I missed it.

link   

Well I guess we are going to see a HUGE increase in pointless flagging with this system. Which in my opinion totally debases the whole idea of flagging in the first place.

What no faith in members abilities?lol...

I like to think most won't go flagging just to get flags, at least I hope so.

link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by intrepid

I have noticed the dark gold and the white gold colors. Kinda like the whiter one is "illuminating", like the cosmic tag did.
Glad you still can get some recognition out of it krog. If it is illuminated and cosmic that means what now?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is how one Sci-fi site ranks there members, and everybody is happy, it really goes by the number of posts alone

The user titles (or 'ranks') under people's names are an indication of how much they have posted at the message board. More posts does not on its own mean anything. User titles are just for fun. The user titles and the post levels required are:
Cadet- 0
Ensign- 5
Lieutenant Junior Grade- 25
Lieutenant- 50
Lieutenant Commander- 100
Commander - 250
Captain - 500
Fleet Captain - 1000
Commodore - 2000
Rear Admiral- 4000
Vice Admiral- 8000
Admiral- 16000
Fleet Admiral - 32000

Contribution ranks for posts are common on many message boards, the system that was recently put into place at ATS reflected that nicely.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

People will make a contest out of anything. If ATS makes it so you fill up a meter doing whatever, people will do that just to fill it up.

Any threads people normally would not flag will now be flagged so they can get their bar filled faster.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This isn't a sci-fi site last I heard.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

People will also be posting more threads to try and get more flags.

And as I've learned, the more out-there, hoax threads get more attention than well-researched threads. At least in terms of flags, not applause.

new topics

top topics

<< 114  115  116    118  119  120 >>

join