It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 113
<< 110  111  112    114  115  116 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I post and thread because I care about humanity and want the information to get out. I don't know if you have ever seen any of my threads but do you think I would do all that work to get a meaningless(real world wise) tag, points, applause, etc? LOL, I think not! But they are great for rewarding and thanking members who strive more than others to maintain the great history of this site by posting great information that is well put and researched.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
I was a gold member and other than no ads I got nothing special except a nice "pat on the back" and you took that away from not only me but others who the majority of SPEND HOURS researching and creating these very topics you like so much.

Sorry to correct you but the PTB of ATS took it from you, just as they granted it to you.

And will a thank you suffice? I for one like to support those I find provide me information and insight, as I notice others do as well.

I'm sorry if you feel you need a badge for that and you're disappointed. But you're welcome to it as far as I'm concerned.

I won't throw a fit if the badges comes back. As far as I was concerned, the issue was settled already. Now the pot has been stirred again. Considering the spitefulness from management and members at this point, I think my original point has been thoroughly made.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Oh lord. No more voting.

I think they should just stick to the new system or the bars and that's it. Everyone's not going to be happy no matter what is chosen.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Fair enough dissent.

But those points of mine are just sitting there. sitting there. sitting there.

Care to offer your solution with respects to ALL members and their personal take on the issue?

I'm getting a little tired of it "never being good enough" - and I completely side with the decision to remove said tokens because of responses like that.

(no offense man. just sayin' - it ain't all you.)

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

The PTB took it away because of the members (minority) who were complaining so by default THOSE members took it away from me and others. No I do not need a badge and yes a thank you will do, but why make something that was a little better than just a thank you a big deal? It didn't give any of us any special administrative perks, I mean damn. I am sorry if I accused you of supporting the "no badge" movement but I do feel strongly that certain members should get a little more than a "thank you", for MULTIPLE REASONS. I mean it is obvious that members who are Conspiracy Masters or FSMEs OR MODS automatically get more attention to their threads then members who are not. What the tag system did is give a wider spectrum something to say "Hey this guy is a strong member and you might want to listen to him/her, or at least take a look at what he says."

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I mean it is obvious that members who are Conspiracy Masters or FSMEs OR MODS automatically get more attention to their threads then members who are not.

Wanna bet?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

reply to post by seagrass

I post and thread because I care about humanity and want the information to get out. I don't know if you have ever seen any of my threads but do you think I would do all that work to get a meaningless(real world wise) tag, points, applause, etc? LOL, I think not! But they are great for rewarding and thanking members who strive more than others to maintain the great history of this site by posting great information that is well put and researched.
That was happening pre-tag. Some of our greatest members have gone recently, pre and post tag. Why is that? Think about it. Where was their thank you?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

reply to post by In nothing we trust

Based upon the staff and FSMEs opinion when they give you applause for your threads or posts. Some are more liberal than others, but trust me, they are not given out freely.

I'll tell you what I've seen.

Threads that contain real, relevant and well researched material that go almost completely unnoticed. While outlandish far flung make believe crap generates a huge amount of attention. I'm not really sure why, except that the same thing seems to apply all through the world as we know it.

For the most part I like to read what some of the more enlightened members on ATS have to say. THe ignorant masses (Of which there is a fair represention here on ATS) are easily distracted and don't care about or are afraid of the truth. Maybe we could just ban the idiots who waste all of our time? Or failing that create an elevated awareness portion of the site. I think paying to access some content might alleviate some of the obnoixious noise out there.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Some of us are totally happy with the Badges, and also totally happy without them...

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

LOL........I guess your just not liked that much.(J/K)

That is a minority case though IMO from what I have seen. A lot of it is beyond just the tag because a lot of the members who are mods and FSMEs or CMs did a lot to deserve that status, but there are members who have not got those tags that either are upcoming or just for what ever reason have "flew under the ATS radar" that post equally as good things but don't get the attention that maybe a "tagged member or Mod" would get IMHO.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

So in that case we should listen to Ravenshadow13 and go back to the bars. Thats way neither of the sides win

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Having members pay would defeat the purpose of ATS. It's suppose to be a place where the public can come and talk about things that effect them, and the truth.

Having paid membership will only decrease the ammount of members. And to tell you the truth, I've seen some GREAT material come out of threads that were considered "outlandish".

I agree with Raven. The contributing members of ATS should get some recognition in some form. Applause is great, but it is nice to have something tied into your Avatar that tells other members what kind of poster you are, and what kind of responses/contributions they can expect from that members.

Wether it be tags or the bar system (which funny enough nobody EVER complained about, seems to be it should have been kept a secret in the first place and we wouln't have this problem) or some new form of public recognition for oustanding imput by members, anything is better than nothing.

And I am usually all about the equal rights and no I dont' think that any one member is better than another, however, I know that there are better informed members than others. And we should be telling our other members that these people are well informed, so they know where to look when wanting imput from a reliable source.

~Keeper

~Keeper

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I agree, and some other "higher standing" members I have talked to also agree. It is very unfortunate but then again you can't force feed the real into those who want the fake. Notice my location? It say "The real...", that is where I like to stay,but some prefer other realities. I can not tell you my opinion of the ratio of bs threads to legit ones because I fear I will get flamed, plus I don't want to call out anyone. But IMO there is only about 30 members on here who create threads that actually create good threads that are real based and not off in the sci fi realm. I will name a few of those members that I have encountered....

internos, Skyfloating, Mikesingh, Zorgon, Indigo Child, SpartanKingLeonidas, and many others IMO.

There are also many quality members who post more than thread...

ArMap, Phage, Easynow, Chadwickus, and more

[edit on 5/31/2009 by jkrog08]

[edit on 5/31/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Agreed, but I fear this can only be settled by a vote, then no one can say anything (on both sides).

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I am sorry if I accused you of supporting the "no badge" movement but I do feel strongly that certain members should get a little more than a "thank you", for MULTIPLE REASONS.

You don't have to apologize because I was very vocal about not supporting the system. Though I don't see why I should have any less say because I'm a "minority".

Originally posted by jkrog08I mean it is obvious that members who are Conspiracy Masters or FSMEs OR MODS automatically get more attention to their threads then members who are not.

Understood. You want to feel that you are being recognized for your contributions. So do I. It's personal preference how that's achieved.

What the tag system did is give a wider spectrum something to say "Hey this guy is a strong member and you might want to listen to him/her, or at least take a look at what he says."

This is where we'll have to diverge because I saw a few members that I found personally unfitting of the title "Godlike Wisdom" in my opinion. Just as I have seen posts with an enormous number of flags that amount to little more than speculative fear-mongering wherein the BEST contributions come from those who didn't start the thread, and who therefore only get stars as credit. And imbalance in the system.

Which is why my whole point against it was why turn something so potentially arbitrary into something impactful. Its an issue to my mind that is at odds with an environment that supports community output.

My problem never had to do with recognizing genuine contributors. I just felt the system was faulty.

[edit on 31/5/09 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I post and thread because I care about humanity and want the information to get out. I don't know if you have ever seen any of my threads but do you think I would do all that work to get a meaningless(real world wise) tag, points, applause, etc? LOL, I think not!

Then why do you need them?

I didn't speak up when these tags were implemented.... i saw little point.
but now that they're gone, I'd like it to stay that way.
I don't see why getting flags and praise from fellow members.... receiving U2U's of gratitude and making new friends through your posts and threads isn't enough?

I just do not get this whole "label" thing?

People still contributed before all this....if anything, this has caused more trouble than it's worth.

But they are great for rewarding and thanking members who strive more than others to maintain the great history of this site by posting great information that is well put and researched.

As i said, what more reward do you need than fellow members thanking you and discussing it with you?

has the reason we're here changed recently?

Where has this "pat on the back" mentality come from?

I'm slightly lost

[edit on 31/5/09 by blupblup]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Badges and Flair.... next come the red staplers and TPS reports...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
All I know is that when I joined there was a set ranking system in place. I accepted it and tried to work within that system. They made some improvements to said system which was pretty cool IMO. When I first joined I was almost banned the first month out and was left with a -2700 point score, I'm now nearing 100.000 and was closing in on Gold.

I didnt complain nor quit. I made the decision to strive to be a better poster and member. Slowly my points started to rise as I gained acknowledgment from the staff and my fellow members. It made me feel good to receive the recognition.

I started feeling like I was a part of the ATS community and not just a visitor.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I started feeling like I was a part of the ATS community and not just a visitor.

I'm all for applause and stars for posts and whatever.. that's great....we had that before and it was fine.

I just don't see the need to have classes or categories or labels for members.... emblazoned on their profiles?
It makes no sense and nothing positive can come out of it.
I don't see how having that makes anyone more or less of a member?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

All I am saying is that it was nice for the staff to recognize members, I don't require recognition but it was nice. What is wrong with that? What is wrong with a community thanking you for your contributions? I will still continue to maintain my quality threads no matter what happens, but all I am saying is why take away something that was only a "thank you" to members? Anyone could achieve any tag (except Platinum, you had to be a mod to get that) they wanted to, and any applause level. You simply had to work for it. Is this argument arbitrary, yes because I will still continue "doing what I do" no matter what. I just think if certain members have issues with staff thanking certain members than maybe those members with the issues need to take a look at what their problem REALLY IS. Is it envy? I don't know but I think so in a lot of members who opposed the tag system cases. I have NEVER posted anything knowingly false on this site and try to maintain that in real life to the best of my abilities. So when I said I post for humanity that is true. Because I liked the recognition means I was lying? No, I think not. I mean it is like this:

A lot of members just read the posts and star and flag, that is fine. Some members reply in depth and contribute to the thread, that is great. But some members constantly CREATE these threads that everyone is reading and replying to. These members are making the thread that get this site recognition and make it worth while to be here, they make it possible to continue the very creed of this site by bringing information out to the public eye for all to se and reply to. So let us go by your logic and some others for a second shall we?

In your world a President who looks after MILLIONS of people should get no further recognition (money, certain 'perks' (ie; ATS tags), or respect) than an average convenient store clerk!

I am sorry but that will never be the case no matter how far we evolve past a monetary system. WHY? Because certain levels of contribution (ATS, real world, ANYWHERE) deserve a certain level of appreciation and recognition. That was all the tag system was, a way to thank members who did more than others. It was not a "knock" on members who choose not to create threads or post. Did you see a tag on those members that said "loser", no you didn't. So that fact right there invalidates your entire argument of a "elite status" and certain members "getting perks and special attention". So by that fact IMO the tag status should come back in its original form ASAP.

new topics

top topics

<< 110  111  112    114  115  116 >>

join