It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 104
<< 101  102  103    105  106  107 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
Maybe we have some programmers on here that would be able to help your programmers get this SECURITY ISSUE dealt with?

There's no security issue at all.

The activity exhibited by ATS with cookies-based sessions is very normal. Keeping your browser window open on on ATS for hours (or more) is no security threat -- unless others use your computer.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Speaking as a member here and addressing no one in particular, I personally would not want an automatic log out feature. Other forums have such a thing and I cannot count how many times I was in the middle of typing a post only to lose it all when I pressed submit because I was automatically logged out while typing a long response.

I'd hate to have the members here experience such frustration when all that is necessary is to pay special attention when logging out to make sure our accounts are indeed logged out.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
After reading these last few posts it seems more like someone is logging in on your account, not trying to make you paranoid....wait were on a conspiracy site your probably as paranoid as me...

Back on subject: this would be a no win situation for the owners, because if there was a system in place that meant i had to log in after being away from my comp for a few hours, then they'd probably have me ranting in here that I wanted it removed as I have a long name and password.........

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

unless others use your computer.

Which is what I put in my original post Bill... If someone logs on at a library or some other computer that is used by others... like maybe a family home with kids that use the computer....

All I'm saying is that this has happened to me a number of times and all it would take is a couple of lines like I include on the last page and you wouldn't have a problem... but lets make it like I just want to complain and not suggest anything in the way of providing a solution to a SECURITY PROBLEM that should be addressed...

thanks

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

If your active on the forum and have made it update your browser within six hours then it won't do what you say it did... you don't make the thing time out after a ten minute period... you have it so it doesn't leave a member on for six hours or more...

**ADDED*** Also if you read my first ones on this... I did log off and it 'appeared' to log off.... even went to the main ATS page like it usually did... maybe its just a glich but this glich can be corrected by that which I suggested.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

But in that six hours someone could easily get on your computer, this solution doesn't sound like a solution. It sounds like a huge enormous problem.

If Bill were to initiate such a thing that would cause everyone to have to resign in every time they open the website. I have never encountered such problems, I used ATS at a library for school, but it always logged me out when I clicked the logout button. I would suggest that you attempt to fix your computer before you continue to argue your "solution".

Check your cookies. Delete any unused or junk files. IoBit has a software called Advanced System Care or Windows care. And it does all of that for you. Check it out and see if that allows you to sign out. If not restart your computer and then run the software again, then it should definately work.

There problem solved!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

But six hours is still an awfully long time for the problem you are concerned with- someone coming on and using your account. So the way around that would be to decrease the time limit to, let's say, 30 minutes as an example (still adequate time for someone to submit a post as you). But some members here work on their posts for quite a while. So in my humble opinion, six hours is too long, 30 minutes to an hour is too short (or still too long), etc.

My advice as a fellow member would simply be to please make sure you log out or at least adjust your browser settings to clear your cookies when you close the browser. It's been ages since I used a library computer but the ones I remember using had a feature where all cookies were cleared between public users.

So trying to find the compromise, I'd like to spare members the frustration from losing their posts by being automatically logged out and would urge those who need to log out to please make sure you log out and that it registers.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

My friend, I told you the solution, IoBit software will fix that. I promise you that you will be able to log out. But if you really want to get Secured! When you get off your computer lock it. So that way no one can get on but you. That way your happy and your Secured.

And we are not making it seem that you are complaining, we are trying to show you the problems that your "solution" makes. Trust me do what I told you and your issues will be solved.

1) IoBit Software- Advanced System Care LINK
2) Locking Your Computer

[edit on May 28th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Me downloading software to fix ATSs SECURITY PROBLEM is not my solution to this

Your right its not your solution, buts its the easiest one.....

You really need to calm down and reread what I posted. I doubt its ATS's fault, as I have never experienced this issue, nor has anyone else to my knowledge, I could be wrong. But I assure you that that program will not only help you, but will solve more problems and it also protects against Spyware and rootkits and is compatible with nearly all anti-virus programs. I was just trying to help. Oh yea, and ATS is a Damn good website and quite possibily the BEST alternative/conspiracy/breaking news website on the web.

Anyway, trust me mate, eitehr lock your computer or download that program and your issues are solved.

[edit on May 28th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Calm down?

Do I 'sound' like I'm not calm? Just because I post more than two or three posts in reference to a problem that can be addressed by ATS and they sweep it under the rug like it is not a concern to them?

I'm calm...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I doubt you are calm, but if you really are. I must say that ATS is not the issue, I swear those programs will fix the problem. If so your interested in secruity YOU take the steps to make your computer secure, so that way someone cannot just open your computer and go to town. Get a lock code, buy a finger print scanner, retinal eye scanner, breathilizer scanner, urine scanner, blood scanner, or what not. I swear just download the program and your issues are fixed and to add a little extra secruity create a bloody password to get on your computer, the first step to protection.....

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
Here you go guys.... I'll do the work for you...

That just closes an open window and has no effect on security or sessions.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If this ends up to be a true problem, I suggest something like a user-based timeout.. Like a field in MyATS that specificies the minutes before automatic log-out, which at default would be 360 (6 hours). I'm not sure how you guys read user information (like avatar / signature on a thread page) but let's say it's in an object called $user and it contains properties like avatar, signature and timeout.. Code-wise there would be only a small line in a commonly included file (preferably always included):

if( (time() - $_SESSION['last_timestamp'])/60 > $user['timeout'] ) [ // $user['timeout'] is 360 by default
logout( $user['id'] ); // anything semantically equivalent should do ;]
] else [
$_SESSION['last_timestamp'] = time();
]

This would effectively log out anyone who hasn't refreshed a page in the previous six hours (or X minutes). As mentioned above, this could pose a problem when you get accustomed to the way ATS works, so I really don't know if this is the best option.. But at least the server-side part should not be the issue ;]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Obviously you haven't read my posts on this subject...

thanks...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Why not just make sure you're logged off.....like really check that you are, not assume.

How is it ATS' responsibility to "log you off"....

I don't get it..

[edit on 28/5/09 by blupblup]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by scraze

Thank you Scraze....

I knew there was an easy approach to this and it wasn't rocket science like they make it seem... maybe ATS will use your code to do what needs to be done....

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
As I stated in my first post and others on this....

I DID LOG OFF AND IT WENT TO THE MAIN ATS PAGE LEADING ME TO SEE I WAS LOGGED OFF....

If this was a banks site then that would be a security problem... but it isn't a bank site... so we'll just say that it isn't a SECURITY Problem then...

This has happened before... it is not a isolated incident...

Thanks

[edit on 28-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Or maybe you can just take the extra precautions on your end to ensure that you've logged out, if it's that big of a deal for you?

Whats the real issue here, why all the negativity towards ATS, come on.. let's have it.....

BTW, this isn't a GOOD site... It's an AWESOME site.

new topics

top topics

<< 101  102  103    105  106  107 >>

join